Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #1966
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
OK, I must be doing something stupid. I read the post above and decided to delete my screensaver cover cache after changing my cover mode to stretch. The result was I kept getting a NiLuJe screen saver saying the hack was installed, but no cover yet processed. Figuring it needed more time, I went away, leaving my book open, and came back in 30 minutes. Same thing. So I then decided to reinstall Python and the Screensaver hack (I have a KV on 5.7.4). Python reinstalled fine, but during the MrPackage install of the screensaver hack, the install fails at 36/100 with the notation "package script failed". So then I went back to NiLuJe's hacks, downloaded the latest verison of MrPi, Python and
screensaver and went back at it. Same failure at 36/100. Then tried an earlier version of the hack. Same result. Oddly, my font hack has continued to work the whole time.

Help, please! I'm sure I'm missing something basic -- I've done this so many times, but for the life of me can't figure this one out this time. Many thanks in advance.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #1967
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I don't have a clue myself.
And with the time zone difference, it is the middle of the night where NiLuJe lives.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #1968
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I am the night.

*nananananananannanananana*

Err, sorry. .

----

@rogerinnyc: Can you check the MRPI log (in extentions/MRInstaller/log/) to pinpoint the exact failure?

Also, I may have forgotten to mention that after clearing the cover cache, you have to switch to another book than the one you're currently reading (the code is optimized to bypass all processing if the last opened book hasn't changed, regardless of the actual state of the cover cache).

EDIT: At a glance it looks like that step of the install process would be the unpacking step... A quick sandbox test on my PW2 doesn't reveal anything wonky, so, that's weird...
I assume you have enough space left on your device? (Besides, that's one of the checks MRPI does before starting anything, so, I assume yes).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-02-2016 at 09:41 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #1969
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you're burning the midnight oil!

The error code says:
cp: can't create directory '/mnt/us/./linkss': File exists
I have no idea what that means or where it exists so that I can try first to delete it!
Any further enlightenment much appreciated!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #1970
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huh. Why would a cp -af call refuse to overwrite something (the f stands for 'force', after all...)?!

What fresh hell did Amazon do to their busybox build...

And the (highly unlikely, in this instance) case where one tries to copy a directory over a similarly named file throws a different error:
cp: target '../mnt/us/./linkss' is not a directory

I'm on 5.7.3, so I guess I'll try to update to 5.7.4.whatever to see how that fares...

@rogerinnyc: Until I can figure that out, one obvious workaround would be to uninstall the hack first (after flagging it for complete uninstall in KUAL).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-02-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #1971
rogerinnyc
Addict

Uh oh. If you're stumped I guess I will re-start from scratch (no factory reset though!) and re-sideload 5.7.4 and go from there with Mr. PI and your font and screensaver hacks. Unless you have some other good thought! Thanks anyway.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #1972
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rogerinnyc: See my latest edit .

If you want to do things right, flag the hack for uninstall in KUAL and uninstall it first.
Then retry the install process.

(Not sure in which order MPRI would pick them if you put both the uninstall and install packages at once, which I guess would be a good thing to fix ).
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #1973
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
NiLuJe, the error is consistent with the destination being a symlink. Blame the developers of `cp` for having a confusing error message.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #1974
rogerinnyc
Addict

OK, got it. I needed a full restart from Kindle Settings. I had been doing Framework restarts out of KUAL itself. Once I did a Restart, I got the stock screensavers back (which hadn't been showing up), and then your hack installed just fine. Phew. Thanks for your help. Hope you go back to sleep (that is, if you want to!).

EDIT -- I had, in my interim efforts, used your hack uninstaller to no effect. But again, I did a framework restart only. Told you I was doing something stupid!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #1975
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@eschwartz: But.. but... vfat doesn't support symlinks :s. (And the fuse proxy doesn't either, I think?). Weird.

@rogerinnyc: Huh. Let's blame this one on Gremlins then... Guess the old "Have you tried turning it off and on again" thing still holds sway in Kindle-land ^^.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #1976
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Good point. I tested my memory in /tmp

Dunno...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #1977
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@rogerinnyc: See my latest edit .

If you want to do things right, flag the hack for uninstall in KUAL and uninstall it first.
Then retry the install process.

(Not sure in which order MPRI would pick them if you put both the uninstall and install packages at once, which I guess would be a good thing to fix ).
MrPI says it installs packages in alphabetical order. For the rescue pack and coward's rescue pack, that is the WRONG order (according to the rp README). So I guess it would be safest to rename update*.bin files to contain a sequence number after "update-", if installing order-sensitive packs in batches...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #1978
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@geekmaster: The order doesn't actually matter for RP/CRP, as long as both are installed before one tries to trigger the CRP .

Which raises a good point though: the CRP should make sure the RP is installed before rebooting to diags, otherwise, you're screwed.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #1979
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Perhaps the CRP should *include* the RP files, rather than just depending on them, just to simplify things?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #1980
Ceronomus
Ceronomus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hey there,
I'm remotely trying to help someone walk through this process. I understand a bit of it, he not at all. We seem to be hung up though, and are receiving an error message "Application cannot be opened".

Kual v 2.6 - Installed
Kual Helper - Folders created
Kual MRInstaller - In place
Update_Python - In place
KSSS - In place

The issue seems to stem from the "Update" button having been gray and a reboot having been initiated. Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.
Ceronomus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch