Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Missing Book Cover

Hi,
Recently I downloaded an eBook called J.E.T. by Roy Powers.

When I went to start reading it I noticed that the Book Cover / Book Art was just the book title and the author underneath at the top of a blank page.

I thought at first this was the book cover but now I think my Touch is just displaying the 1st page of the eBook because the book cover is actual missing !

Unfortunately it has DRM attached, and although I've managed to replace the ADE thumbnail image with the proper JET book cover it won't show this on the Touch (I tried deleting it on the Touch and then drag & drop on ADE again without success).

Also I contacted the retailer and they appeared to be saying that it's quite usual for the publisher not to include the "Book Art" in the ePub file !!!??

Sounds like a cop-out to me, has anyone else had an eBook with no cover in the ePub file ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Hi,
Recently I downloaded an eBook called J.E.T. by Roy Powers.

When I went to start reading it I noticed that the Book Cover / Book Art was just the book title and the author underneath at the top of a blank page.

I thought at first this was the book cover but now I think my Touch is just displaying the 1st page of the eBook because the book cover is actual missing !

Unfortunately it has DRM attached, and although I've managed to replace the ADE thumbnail image with the proper JET book cover it won't show this on the Touch (I tried deleting it on the Touch and then drag & drop on ADE again without success).

Also I contacted the retailer and they appeared to be saying that it's quite usual for the publisher not to include the "Book Art" in the ePub file !!!??

Sounds like a cop-out to me, has anyone else had an eBook with no cover in the ePub file ?
Yes, happens regularly... Sometimes instead of a blank page it's a page with a pattern. That's one of the reasons why I use Calibre to fix mine, I like to see a real cover...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes, frequently. The common wisdom is that the rights for the cover art have not been purchased by the publisher for this use. They own the right to use the art for PR, but not for the digital version of the sold work.

It is one of the reasons people use DRM removal tools.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Yes, it's extremely common. Apparently the reason for it is that image rights for the book cover are negotiated separately from the rights for the book itself, and many times the publisher does not have the right to publish the cover image electronically.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Thanks for the replies, it seems then that the retailer was telling the truth.

This is the first eBook I have encountered with this problem. Other problems yes, but not this.

It seems strange that we can download a Book Cover Art for the eBook either directly, through Google say, or via Calibre (presumably legally ? ), and add it to our ebook !

Following on from that I found on another Forum what is actual inside an ePub file.
I looked inside one and there is a JPEG "Cover" file.
Is legal to change this file for example or is any editting illegal ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can change whatever you want - it's your copy of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Once you get more than a few books with this problem it becomes essential to change the covers IMO as sometimes when the publisher puts just THEIR logo as the book cover (ie Penguin) instead of the helpful but disappointing title and author you can't even tell the books apart!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Once you get more than a few books with this problem it becomes essential to change the covers IMO as sometimes when the publisher puts just THEIR logo as the book cover (ie Penguin) instead of the helpful but disappointing title and author you can't even tell the books apart!
Yup. One of the main reasons I remove the DRM from my books. Nothing like have a generic green cover with the publisher's logo and maybe the book title. The 2nd is to have a backup other than kepub.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote