Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Jedibeeftrix
Jedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Nokia N9 Meego/Harmattan
Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

Got a problem,

Been a happy user of Kobo for well over a year, reading books on my computer via ADE, but now it has all gone haywire.

Bought well over 80 books from kobo.
Did not have an ADE account, just opted to have the books authorised to the computer (have enough damned accounts to remember as it is).
Recently started useing my local digital libary service which likewise uses ADE.

Couple of days ago i started seeing this message when i was loaning out a book from the library service:

"Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO"

No idea what the problem was, so i got rid of the error message, closed ADE and tried again, and it worked. Had a similar problem with the other book i loaned, but the same solution seemed to apply.

Had no idea it was the start of what appears to be an intractable problem.

Since then i have not been able to get any books, always coming up with the same error message.

So, i uninstalled ADE and reinstalled it, opting to authorise the computer again. no dice, same error.

So i deauthorised the computer, and then reauthorised it (the computer that is). no dice.

My kobo purchases suffer the same problem apparently.

So i tried installing ADE on a different computer and testing it out on my library account. It came up with the error, but on restarting managed to get the book. But only one. Since then; no dice.

Now, finally, i broke and decided to create a ADE account and lo the application was reauthorised once more, this time with a registered account.

But........................... same problem!

What is causing this? I obviously have a fine internet connection, so it isn't a network error.
I upgraded my firewall but have tried it since with the firewall disabled, so it isn't that.

I cannot buy/loan new books, this is a problem, how do i solve it?
Why has it happened?

Your help is appreciated.

JBT
Jedibeeftrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I was having a similar problem a while back. It turns out that my computer's clock was wrong.
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Jedibeeftrix
Jedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

hmmm, cheers. mine seems fine tho.............
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
This is one of the less-charming known issues with ADE. If you don't have/register/enter an Adobe ID account when you register ADE, then your books end up being tied to that particular computer and non-transferrable unless stripped. You also can't redownload them if anything happens to that particular install.

I hope you had good un-DRMed backups of your paid purchases, or could possibly restore your old ADE install from a backup of your system so that you can make a backup much like this other Kobo user had to do.

ETA: This particular error message tends to happen because the Adobe content servers think the license has already been fulfilled (i.e. downloaded) by another, different user/install of ADE. Sometimes it does so wrongly, especially with library books.

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-18-2012 at 07:50 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've been reading about this with other devices--my sense is that it is a overdrive problem that is being worked on.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Jedibeeftrix

Cheers, i am familiar with the problems that arise with authorising the computer rather than having an account, i am more concerned that:

1. I cannot seem to loan out any new books
2. Presumably, i will also have the same problem buying new books from kobo

I am utterly stuck, reading wise, until i can get ADE to behave.

Gettings access to previous purchases is an entirely secondary problem right now.

Why is ADE continueing to not function in spite of reinstalls/reauthorisations?

p.s. what is this overdrive problem?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assume that by loan out you mean what I would call borrow. Check to see if it is a problem with Kobo by downloading a free ebook in ePUB format. Which Kobo device or app are you using? I don't know what the Overdrive issue is, only know that I have seen something similar with multiple complaints in various forums that seems tied to the Overdrive system of borrowing books from some public libraries.

See this thread on the Adobe forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4474776

Last edited by taming; 06-19-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Jedibeeftrix

i will try a free epub later.

not using a kobo device or software, just reading them via ADE on the PC.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Just a thought, have you tried installing ADE with Admin Privileges? BWinmill also mentioned about checking the computer's clock and you did say it was ok... but did you check the time zone your computer clock is set to? I had a problem with ADE and while the computer's clock displayed the correct time my timezone was not correct and ADE was being a real bit... about it.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

You might also try the Adobe ADE Preview edition--that's the new ADE (still in beta).
Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Jedibeeftrix

hmmm, jolly strange.

checked the timezone, all fine.

decided to reinstall ADE using explorer, and then deauthorise my account so i could reauthorise my computer hardware.

tried a free book from kobo, it works fine.
tried a loaned book from the elibrary............... and it works okay.

best answer i've got is using IE to install the software.

p.s. how does one install it in admin mode, it is nothing more than a web-button on the adobe site?

cheers for the tip about the ADE preview version.