Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #121
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Play Music is working just fine for me, online and offline. Before you updated, where you running pure stock or rooted with the old Google Play hack? I wiped the device and started from scratch.

ETA: I'm finding the built in Recent Apps/Activity inaccurate along with being slow and ugly. Maybe it only shows items accessed via the stock launcher?
I think I updated the app for Play Music after I installed the software update for Nook. I was using the n2a card before for access to gapps, I never rooted.

Folks on Nook boards say to deregister the nook and registering again gives the app for Play Store in the listing for all apps. It was always showing though in the settings menu for applications with all the other apps listed.

I plan to stay with Nova launcher and I put the icon on homepage for easy access. Play Music was in the list of apps using Nova, not using Nook launcher though. I suspect the old music player for Nook is causing a conflict and permissions for user to get access to Play Store.

I am not sure about what you wrote last. Maybe you are right though with only showing activity with Nook launcher, not an alternate.

Last edited by robertc88; 05-07-2013 at 06:42 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #122
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I’ve been busy downloading some of my favorite iOS equivalent android apps into the HD+. To my surprise, I can’t find an equivalent app that allows caching Youtube videos for offline viewing in the Google play store. iTunes has many such apps readily available. I searched the net and found the equivalent android app and it is available in the Amazon apps. However, Google Play doesn’t offer Amazon apps and the HD+ doesn’t allow easy apps sideloading so I’m now trying to see if I can sideload the app using the PC and ADB. It is somewhat frustrating to see that it is a much easier chore for my friend who has the Galaxy Nexsus phone. He simply goes to his phone setting to bypass Google Play and install Amazon apps and download my fav app from there.

The Google play is a huge improvement and missing one particular app is really no big deal in the grand scheme but it just points out that the Nook is still a restricted ecosystem.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #123
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I’ve been busy downloading some of my favorite iOS equivalent android apps into the HD+. To my surprise, I can’t find an equivalent app that allows caching Youtube videos for offline viewing in the Google play store. iTunes has many such apps readily available. I searched the net and found the equivalent android app and it is available in the Amazon apps. However, Google Play doesn’t offer Amazon apps and the HD+ doesn’t allow easy apps sideloading so I’m now trying to see if I can sideload the app using the PC and ADB. It is somewhat frustrating to see that it is a much easier chore for my friend who has the Galaxy Nexsus phone. He simply goes to his phone setting to bypass Google Play and install Amazon apps and download my fav app from there.
The answer is that Google, not Apple or Amazon, owns YouTube. They won't permit YouTube downloaders in their store, so if you want that kind of app (probably TubeMate) you'll have to make a ClockworkMod card and enable Unknown Sources.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #124
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have Netflix and Twitter obtained from the Play Store, they can be upgraded when I checked this morning. There is no 'N' on the app when I looked on the list for all apps so I know it came from the Play Store. When I launched into Nook side, no apps need to be updated so all that is being checked for upgrade there are Nook's apps loaded from their store. I guess that makes sense.

Last edited by robertc88; 05-08-2013 at 11:08 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #125
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There is every indication that all of them date back to late 2012.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/08/mic...for-1-billion/
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #126
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
re: article, i'm sure the Nook will be viable even if they stop production....google store paves the way for that. By 2014 I will have probably sold my nook and moved on to something else anyway.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #127
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I almost ordered one, but decided not to. I actually placed an order, then realized it was an impulse buy and cancelled it.

I'm either going to wait for the new Nexus 7 (hopefully sometime this summer), or else buy a Nook HD+ when B&N has their SUPER BLOWOUT GOING OUT OF THE TABLET BUSINESS SALE that makes this $90 off sale seem like peanuts. (kidding) :-P

It could happen though.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #128
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
2 years it's a lot for a tablet. After two years, even for a well known company like Apple or Amazon, the tablet should be reaching its end of software's support, and hardware's warranty. Same goes for eink readers.

Let's face it! Tablets are more or less, disposable devices now. They are not like those ancient PCs that we used to keep running until dead.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #129
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Let's face it! Tablets are more or less, disposable devices now. They are not like those ancient PCs that we used to keep running until dead.
I have a 10 year old laptop hooked up to my engraving machine and it is still going great. As long as it does it's job I will keep it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #130
toronado
Addict

Quote:
2 years it's a lot for a tablet. After two years, even for a well known company like Apple...
Or especially for a company like Apple.

I think one reason Apple doesn't worry about the iPad cannibalizing Mac sales (to whatever extent it does) is, although they charge less for an iPad than a MacBook, they obsolete the iPads faster.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #131
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
A short life cycle is why I buy low to mid range for my gadgets.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #132
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
2 years it's a lot for a tablet. After two years, even for a well known company like Apple or Amazon, the tablet should be reaching its end of software's support, and hardware's warranty. Same goes for eink readers.

That's one of the reasons I went with a Surface RT. Microsoft has pledged 4 years of support for it. Apple also supports their products well. Android doesn't have any real support to speak of because it's so fragmented. When I bought my EVO, HTC had a great reputation for support. Now they don't. Then Sprint messes with it as well. Android support is practically worthless, that's a big reason why people update so often. I still like it best though on a day-to-day basis.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #133
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
What's the easiest way to enable loading apps outside of B&N/Google? I have several I use (daily) that come straight from the companies (such as the controller for my stereo and jukebox). Usually I just load from dropbox, where I've saved copies of the APK's, but the HD+ won't let them install.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #134
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
This thread on XDA gives instructions for enabling installing from unknown sources via CWM recovery and a flash-able zip. Items 1 and 5 seem to be the ones you want for that.

ADB might still work as well.

I haven't done either method, so I'm not speaking from experience here.

Last edited by Nahgem; 05-09-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #135
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Agreed that thread is the easiest way. Making a bootable CWM card seems to be a hurdle for a lot of people, but it's at most a 3-step process that gives you the ability to turn on Unknown Sources or go full root with little to no learning curve. It also provides a great backup strategy, depending on how much you value your tablet configuration.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote