Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
stanmarsh
Enthusiast
stanmarsh began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab
How do you track books with downloaded metadata?

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way to track books that you have already downloaded metadata (cover and data) without going through them one by one?

i have an erratic/slow connection, so i only update metadata when i'm not doing anything online, is there something that will tell me that you already used "Download Metadata" on a particular book or not?

i'm thinking like a custom column, where there is a date when you downloaded metadata of that book.

TIA
stanmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmarsh View Post
i have an erratic/slow connection, so i only update metadata when i'm not doing anything online, is there something that will tell me that you already used "Download Metadata" on a particular book or not?
No.

I use the add tag on import feature (Preferences - Adding books) to add the tag "working" to books and as I add them to the library. As I clean up the metadata I remove the "working" tag.

I also use the Restrict to feature to to restrict a view to my "Finished Library" which only shows the books that don't have the "working" tag. I also went to Preferences - Behavior and set it start with the "Finished Library" view.

Whenever I want to work on my metadata and clean up "working" books I change to my Restrict to feature to my "Working library." As I clean up the metadata and remove the "working" tag the book is automatically removed from my "working library" view and now shows in the "Finished Library" view. Read about the Restrict To feature here and here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-27-2013 at 06:25 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
stanmarsh
Enthusiast
stanmarsh began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab
Thanks DoctorOhh! brilliant work-around!

stanmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
bigredkobo
bigredkobo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I'd just like to thank Doctor Ohh for his reply to this question. It has really helped understand the search function in calibre & how I can use it to my advantage. Seems so much easier than creating separate libraries. Thanks Doc
bigredkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredkobo View Post
I'd just like to thank Doctor Ohh for his reply to this question. It has really helped understand the search function in calibre & how I can use it to my advantage. Seems so much easier than creating separate libraries. Thanks Doc
You're Welcome.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
I have put cover:false Or comments:false into the search box and got a list of all the books without covers or without the bookflap info depending on what I was looking for. Have a look at the Search Interface under Graphical User Interface in the user manual for all kinds of helpful ideas.

Last edited by Rachel; 02-03-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I have put cover:false Or comments:false into the search box and got a list of all the books without covers or without the bookflap info depending on what I was looking for. Have a look at the Search Interface under Graphical User Interface in the user manual for all kinds of helpful ideas.

Once you have that list, you can Select All (ctrl-A) and bulk metadata edit and ad a tag to all those books in one step
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote