Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Y|yukichigai
Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Y|yukichigai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Cover/bookmark issue with Kindle app

Hey,

So I've been using calibre for a while. I'm rather happy with it, except for one weird issue I'm having with .mobi files I convert and then try to read with the Kindle app. All of the files I convert show up with the same cover icon, every last one. It's usually assigned to the most recent converted book I uploaded, but not always. If I upload books which came in .mobi format it shows the cover icon properly.

Now this by itself isn't a big issue, but I think it's related to the next thing, which is that bookmarks aren't tracked properly by the Kindle app between these books, at least partially. If I open the book through the Kindle menu, no problem, bookmark is back where it was. Where it gets screwed up is when I exit the app directly without backing out to the Kindle menu first. When I re-open Kindle it tries to re-open the last book I was reading, except since (apparently) it thinks all my uploaded books are the same it opens some arbitrarily chosen book, usually not the one I was last reading. It's the same book every time, until I change what books I have on the iPhone.

Now the CATCH with all of this is that I'm using a Jailbroken iPhone, and rather than paying Amazon to send me my own books I just SSH in and put them in the Kindle app's eBook folder. Like I said, this works for pre-converted .mobi files (as long as they have embedded cover info); it's only ones I convert that come up with no cover. Everything else - Title, Author, what have you - seems to come up fine.

Is there a solution to this? Is there some sort of conversion setting I need to change? I've tried taking out the Personal Documents tag in conversion settings but that didn't seem to do the trick. I'd even settle for a free workaround that gets the appropriate info tagged (besides using Stanza; I prefer the Kindle app, it's a bit quicker).

I'm trying to find a free book that shows cover info so perhaps some more in-the-know people can compare headers and what have you. I'll edit if I find it.
Y|yukichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
That's what will happened if you sideloaded mobi file not bought from Amazon. In my experience, the only way Kindle app show cover correctly is when you're only put one mobi file in it. It will not have the problem that you describe (and I have it too). My workaround is this: put only one books that you want to read now in eBooks folder and you create another folder that contains another file of your book. Kindle app won't read that.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert