Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
rstipton
rstipton began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony Reader
Graphics dropping ePUB to mobi conversion

Perplexing problem... I have an ePUB file that for some unknown reason seems to drop about 5% of the graphics when it's converted to .mobi through Calibre. I have viewed the XHTML in the input, parsed and processed directories -- and the graphics that are dropped in the final .mobi file look just fine. So, it looks like it is something in the output plugin.

HELP! ;-) I'm trying to get my book into the Kindle store.

Background:

Mac InDesign CS4 6.0.4, exported for digital editions -- all looks great in ePUB format, including Adobe Digital Editions and Sony Reader. Use Calibre to convert from ePUB to .mobi -- conversion completes. Manually transfer .mobi file to "My Kindle Content" folder on my Mac. Open file in "Kindle for Mac" -- "some" of the graphics do not show up, almost ALL of them do. I'd say it's about 5% of the total that do not.

Also -- used Calibre to convert to RTF, and for the graphics "not" being converted to mobi, RTF shows the following message (one for each of the unconverted graphics): SPECIAL_IMAGE-GRAPHIC1_fmt.jpeg-REPLACE_ME

I can't find anything anywhere to help me understand this message...

Have gone back to PhotoShop and performed "Save As" for the unconverted graphics, relinked them in InDesign, and then went through the whole process once again -- no difference.

Any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited by rstipton; 04-24-2010 at 12:50 PM.
rstipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstipton View Post
Perplexing problem...
Do these happen to be Creative Commons licensed graphics/images?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
rstipton

No... They're images I originally created in Illustrator.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the reason starson17 asked is that it would be easier to debug with a sample or two. For example, can you create a simple file (say an extract from your larger work) that links to a couple of the images that fail and post it here for us to look at
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
rstipton

Sure -- I'd be more than pleased to do that! I've just posted (figured it out) a small ePUB file that contains two graphics - one that converts properly, and one that does not convert at all.

Just verified that fact by using the "View" option in Calibre.

Thank you!

Last edited by rstipton; 04-24-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
DELETED
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
remove the brackets from the image filenames and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
rstipton

That did the trick!

Thank you very, very much -- I appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day.

Bob