Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
azlkk
azlkk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
btw, it's really weird that 700 will be available in Ireland. I guess it's the lag between US and Europe, I can't help wondering when they will sell reader in Asia then
I'm more inclined to believe that the Dublin Sony store people were making it up.

As for Asia, I'm sure you'll be able to find a Suny PSR-700 knockoff without too much trouble.
azlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
I'm glad I have the 700! None of the both new ones, realy catches my interest. Looks like they wanted to offer cheaper devices to catch a bigger crowed.
I rather pay some bucks more and a good one.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbdb View Post
I was planning on purchasing one for her for Christmas. Guess I waited too long. I did not like the bulkiness of the add on lights for the 505. Will have to wait and see what they come up with for the 600.
You might find a few 700's on sale here on MobileRead, if the owners go for the new 600.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #19
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
You might find a few 700's on sale here on MobileRead, if the owners go for the new 600.
Like you?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #20
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
Like you?
You never know? It's certainly a possibility.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #21
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I see the 600 as an upgrade to the 700 (in terms of reading quality and key features). Better contrast, more internal memory (not that I need it personally), and the much-clamored-for built-in dictionary and word lookup capability.

The loss of the built-in light is no biggie. In fact, the benefits of leaving that out clearly outweigh the losses. Any booklight will work with the Readers (or with any p-book). I have a thin folding 3-led booklight that is tiny and works great, for the occasional times when the surroundings aren't lit. The lighted cover is another option. (It looks like the wedge light cover for the 505 might fit the 600--it has the indentations on the hinge--not sure if the screen will align but it will if Sony was smart about the design.) Better to have a booklight accessory (wedge or generic light) when you need it than to have constant poor text contrast in any light, along with bigger battery drain when you do use the light.

I never considered the 700 for this reason. I am considering the 600, though. (But I also like the small form factor of the 300 and don't need a dictionary!)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #22
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I did purchase the 700 for the built in light,

and for reading in the sun, the 700s darker screen is a bonus for me. it is a dimly lighted room where the problems lie, in a dark room its perfect. in a bright room its perfect. outside its perfect (the 505 and kindle both tend to hurt my eyes when reading outside for longer than a half hour, a regular book is worse with their super bright pages, that is why reading in the sun is said to be bad)

I'm still betting on a firmware upgrade, especially cause the sony is going epub, and the epub rendering engine on the 700 is utter crap when compared to lrf.

though I admit if the 600s screen is as bright as the 505, then the backlight is not really needed in anything but a dark room. while the 700 needs the light on sooner.

I expect the 700 to get a firmware update with that of the 600.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #23
amc
amc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
As far as I'm concerned, Sony had better have a firmware update for the 700 or they have lost me. Even though I heart my built-in light, I am envious of the new features and lower price on the 600. I never use a dictionary while reading, but I want that feature too.

Mainly, I'm worried about how it currently renders epub. It would also be nice if they spruced up how it deals with Adobe Digital Editions PDFs. I love checking books out from the library, but it sucks that all the formating goes to $h!t when I move the text size from "Small" to "Medium."

So far, Sony has been pretty decent. I hope they continue to be.
amc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 AM   #24
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Do you think it would be possible to offer firmware for the 700 that allows handwriting recognition and provides the dictionary? In that case I would keep my 700 other wise I am anticipating getting the 600.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #25
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
What exactly are the PRS-600's stylus capabilities?

I see that it can be used to:

- click on-screen buttons
- tap on an on-screen keyboard to enter a search text or a text on an empty note page
- ink / draw on either a book page to annotate it, or an empty page to make a ``hand-written'' note

Is there any support for actually recognizing handwriting and converting it to text?

If not, the PRS-600 seems an obvious candidate for Vision Objects MyScript Notes:

http://www.visionobjects.com/product...yscript-notes/

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #26
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
Do you think it would be possible to offer firmware for the 700 that allows handwriting recognition and provides the dictionary? In that case I would keep my 700 other wise I am anticipating getting the 600.
Ditto.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #27
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Hear, hear El Astrologo. I concur.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #28
morgaine
morgaine began at the beginning.

Device: prs700,prs600
hi, I usually lurk, but I really really want a prs600, i am a relatively happy prs700 user, but if the note taking works as advertised.... any word on speed of use?

Last edited by morgaine; 08-30-2009 at 04:53 PM.
morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote