Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
FBReader & Next/Previous Page

I couldn't find this info, so I decided to post it.

FBReader has a page flip option. It's called "large scroll forward" and you can set any key to activate it. The last time I used FBReader on my Nokia 770 this option was either absent or well hidden. This is a pass/fail point for me; FBReader was unusable without it.

I discovered it by accident on my XP laptop (it's mapped to page up/ page down). I was fiddling around with the latest version of FBReader because I'm thinking about getting the Smart Q7, and I needed to see if I could stand using FBReader. (MobiReader is better.)

Last edited by Nate the great; 05-25-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Look at "keymap.xml" in share/FBReader/default and maybe you'll find what you want. It's configuable .
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Interesting - I'd love to map the blue menu key on the Classmate tablet to a Page-up-down function with FBReader - then I wouldn't have to use the stylo! I just have to find the mapping code for that key...
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
you can assign nav functions/behaviors under the KEYS tab inside PREFERENCES...pretty much every option you want can be set there. The SCROLLING tab just controls scrolling behavior itself. I have my scrollings set to the buttons on the D-pad and also setup behaviors/functions for each screen rotation. It's actually as cool a config as you might want...just not obvious until you actually look at the tab...I over looked it for a long time before fiddling with it.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is no need to find the key code, because FBReader will do that for you under the Keys tab (hit the key in the "action for key" row).

Desktop FBReader does typically require customization, see Visual Tour of FBReader on a Pepper Pad 3, which is somewhat out of date, or just browse the tabs under Preferences. The non-default actions I like are "Goto Next (Previous) TOC Section". This allows you to skip stories in short story collections for example. The Kindle 2 now has something similar with waypoints, but in FBReader you get them automatically providing FBReader detects (or builds) a TOC. If you include a progress bar with section marks, this jumps to the next/previous mark.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm trying, first - I select the keys tab, click "keybindings depend on orientation" + Select Orientation "90 degress counterclockwise". Then I pressed the key and voila! - you were right, the code appears ([91]). But, when I go to the pull-down list of option - the code dissappears and I can't set anything.

Note that does not happen if I try to set other keys - and FBReader fails ans stops responding. Perhaps the "Quick Launcher" blue button is some type of special firmware key?

I'll try some more - it is a good idea because that's the only key on the tablet rim.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I'm trying, first - I select the keys tab, click "keybindings depend on orientation" + Select Orientation "90 degress counterclockwise". Then I pressed the key and voila! - you were right, the code appears ([91]). But, when I go to the pull-down list of option - the code dissappears and I can't set anything.

Note that does not happen if I try to set other keys - and FBReader fails ans stops responding. Perhaps the "Quick Launcher" blue button is some type of special firmware key?

I'll try some more - it is a good idea because that's the only key on the tablet rim.
Did you ever get it working?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
rgeorg
Guru

No, I received my new jetBook and have been absorbed with using it! I will definitely go back to trying to configure and use the Classmate after my semester ends (I teach). Also, the Classmate screen brightness and color needs to be fiddled with - it's just too bright. I purchased it quickly, because it was the only tablet available here at that moment and I had some funds from work that had to be spent ASAP.

First, I tried to justify an Iliad BE with the money - but the project mgmt did not approve the purchase. Too bad, I probably would've gotten more use out of the Iliad!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
When I had my Nokia N800 I found that some buttons on the device could not be assigned to next/prev page in FBReader. You could make the assignment in FBReader, but they didn't work as expected. It seems that the Nokia OS was exclusively grabbing those particular buttons. This may be true for other devices as well.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
When I had my Nokia N800 I found that some buttons on the device could not be assigned to next/prev page in FBReader. You could make the assignment in FBReader, but they didn't work as expected. It seems that the Nokia OS was exclusively grabbing those particular buttons. This may be true for other devices as well.
I haven't tried to make changes in a while, not since FBReader 0.10.7 for OS2008 was released anyway. I will have to remember to see if any of the keys cannot be remapped. A couple might be locked out by the OS because they are integral to navigation, but I honestly am just using WAG there...but will see.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #11
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks all,
Just to clarify - I followed the mapping instructions, (and it worked a different key that I experimented with), but with the blue key either the dialog box "grayed out" the pull-down option menu - or the system crashed (typical user-friendly Windows XP
response ;-).