Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 AM   #1
plvejat
plvejat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Indesign to MOBI file

Hi, Im am new the Ebook environment. I have a couple of Indesign files that I would like to convert to .MOBI file so that I can view it in my Kindle HD and Kindle Paperwhite.

I have tried using Calibre, Kindle Textbook Creator, etc. but I does not flow the text and images as I have expected. I need a fixed layout output of the Indesign file into .MOBI but I would like to like the text live so that you can still search text within the book.

I would like to ask for your help if you can provide me a guide/steps or a software that would possible give me the output that I would like to have.

Thank you!
plvejat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:23 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You want a fixed layout, with flowing text and images?

Each defines itself as the opposite of the other.

Ain't gonna happen.

Note: either one should be searchable, so long as you write text instead of using images of the page.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Software useful for designing books -- calibre (includes a code editor), Sigil, or this sticky: EPUB tools and reading software.

EPub Tutorial <-- helps to know how the code makes the book

Generally it is assumed one knows html, css, etc. Note that InDesign doesn't appear on the list.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by plvejat View Post
I would like to ask for your help if you can provide me a guide/steps or a software that would possible give me the output that I would like to have.
Well a little more information on the exact goals of the project would help a long way. Fixed Format may not be the correct output format for what you are trying to accomplish.

Fixed format books should typically be only used in the rare cases of things like comics/children's books (and PERHAPS some types of non-fiction works).

For your normal book, it would most likely be recommended AGAINST doing any sort of fixed-format book, as the advantages do not outweigh the costs.

In the case of Fixed Format books, certain devices/vendors have completely different specs, which means you will have to create a completely separate version of the book: One for iBooks, one for Amazon, one for NookBooks, etc. etc.

Also, it may even get down to designing a book per DEVICE (Kindle Fire HDs have different resolutions than older Kindles, Nook HDs have different resolution from Nook Colors, etc. etc.). Designing the book for 16:9 ratio may not work or look optimal on a 4:3 ratio device, etc., etc., ... So this may require a complete redo of many of the images in the book to target different devices.

This raises the costs/time to create the book dramatically, while at the same time shrinking the market of readers you may be able to sell the book to.

There is also the disadvantage of locking the reader into certain settings which may not be the user's preferences (can't change font size, can't change fonts, can't change colors, can't change margins, etc. etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by plvejat View Post
Hi, Im am new the Ebook environment. I have a couple of Indesign files that I would like to convert to .MOBI file so that I can view it in my Kindle HD and Kindle Paperwhite.
Some more information on Fixed Layout EPUBs can be found on the MobileRead Wiki:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Fixed_layout_ePub

On Kindles specifically, have you read the Kindle Publishing Guidelines?

http://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/Am...Guidelines.pdf

Have you taken a look at some of the examples on Amazon's site of Fixed Format books? (I believe under the heading where it says "KindleGen Examples" are a few sample files):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000729511

Also, if you are familiar with InDesign, have you checked out the Lynda.com tutorial, "Creating Fixed Layout EPUBs in InDesign"?

http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutori.../169624-2.html

I personally was HORRIFIED with the abysmal code InDesign produces. It wraps every single word in its own span, and absolutely positions it, so you get an unmaintainable mess like this:

Quote:
<p class="ParaOverride-1"><span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:34px;left:0px;letter-spacing:-0.02px;">Lessequibus</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:34px;left:80.86px;let ter-spacing:-0.04px;">quisciatem.</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:52px;left:0px;letter-spacing:-0.19px;">Nam</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:52px;left:35.09px;let ter-spacing:-0.1px;">atem</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:52px;left:70.13px;let ter-spacing:-0.02px;">dest,</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:52px;left:103.33px;le tter-spacing:-0.01px;">consedignis</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:70px;left:0px;letter-spacing:-0.06px;">ab</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:70px;left:18.66px;let ter-spacing:-0.06px;">ipicte</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:70px;left:57.33px;let ter-spacing:0.03px;">experis</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:70px;left:106.78px;le tter-spacing:-0.08px;">dolupta</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:88px;left:0px;letter-spacing:-0.03px;">sperchi</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:88px;left:49.98px;let ter-spacing:-0.08px;">liquunt,</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:88px;left:103.74px;le tter-spacing:-0.05px;">consequibus</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:106px;left:0px;letter-spacing:-0.06px;">eatem</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:106px;left:41.94px;le tter-spacing:-0.03px;">quidemo</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:106px;left:102.81px;l etter-spacing:-0.01px;">corpor</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:124px;left:0px;letter-spacing:0.03px;">senihic</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:124px;left:49.15px;le tter-spacing:-0.05px;">tatemporum</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:124px;left:133.05px;l etter-spacing:-0.04px;">eliqui</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:142px;left:0px;letter-spacing:0px;">cusam</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:142px;left:44.91px;le tter-spacing:0.02px;">fuga.</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:142px;left:80.03px;le tter-spacing:0.02px;">Dia</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:142px;left:106.78px;l etter-spacing:-0.12px;">dunto</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:142px;left:148.56px;l etter-spacing:-0.02px;">cori</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:160px;left:0px;letter-spacing:0.07px;">od</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:160px;left:20.38px;le tter-spacing:-0.05px;">quaernat</span> <span class="CharOverride-7" style="position:absolute;top:160px;left:80.73px;le tter-spacing:-0.07px;">iusam</span></p>
Instead of something along these lines:

Quote:
<p class="ParaOverride-1">Lessequibus quisciatem. Nam atem dest, consedignis ab ipicte experis dolupta sperchi liquunt, consequibus eatem quidemo corpor senihic tatemporum eliqui cusam fuga. Dia dunto cori od quaernat iusam</p>

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-12-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote