Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
A funny thing happened yesterday

I live fairly close to a university town. The fall semester is about to start, students are flowing in from everywhere trying to find housing and registering for classes. Hence, the town is blessed with a huge book store and right now is when they have a large interesting selection of books.

So, yesterday i went in there, mainly to walk around, have some coffee and study the new students (they are soo enthusiastic) when my eyes fell on the store. I hadn't been in there for almost two years. I entered and sauntered around, picked up a few books and glanced in them. Then I found one on a rather esoteric topic that interests me, a book I hadn't heard about. The price was a bit on the steep side, $65. So I thought to myself, perhaps I can find it cheaper online, took out my smartphone and did a bar code search with the camera. Yes, I could get it for $48 from Amazon, but factoring in S&H it would in the end be the same.

Since the work is something I would likely use as a volume of reference I thought that an electronic version might actually be better, and I admit it, probably far less. So I looked for Kindle and ePub versions. None. Zilch. I then looked at the copyright page and saw that it was 2010. Hmm, should have been produced on a computer. An eBook version would be a piece of cake. Well, what can you do. The publisher don't want to make an eBook, that is there prerogative.

So I took the book and stepped to the end of line. As I was standing there I noticed that only the odd person out seemed to be a student. So I asked one, why are there so few students, the store is usually teeming with them. Ohh, was the answer, they prefer electronic books. So much easier with annotations, looking up things. I looked down on my tome (700+ pages) and suddenly thought, "to hell with it, the publisher don't want to provide me with an eBook, why should I provide my money".

I returned it to the shelf and walked out empty handed. I also realized that my view on books and reading really had made a 180 degree turn around. In a very short time span. I don't believe I have ever encountered a technological paradigm shift that has influenced me this thoroughly.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
So, yesterday i went in there, mainly to walk around, have some coffee and study the new students (they are soo enthusiastic) when my eyes fell on the store.
Did you pick them up before someone stepped on them?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, Swedish idiom? Don't think so. What do you use when you happen to see something you aren't looking for? I wasn't planning to go there, so I wasn't looking for it. I need a dictionary of idioms. Preferably online.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
Art3mis
Art3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Hmm, Swedish idiom? Don't think so. What do you use when you happen to see something you aren't looking for? I wasn't planning to go there, so I wasn't looking for it. I need a dictionary of idioms. Preferably online.
Your idiom was correct.
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Don't worry about it. Your idiom is fine. I'm just a smart ass on the prowl for any opening I can take advantage of; like this one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
So, yesterday i went in there, mainly to walk around, have some coffee and study the new students (they are soo enthusiastic) when my eyes fell on the store.
I go to the local university to ogle the girls who are sunbathing on the lawn. They jump up and beat me with my own cane. I file a lawsuit against the university. The university gives me a couple of thousand dollars to go away. I spend the money with Amazon.

A tad more violence and larceny, but essentially the same story.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Damn, I need to move closer to a uni and get myself a cane. Maybe adopt a stoop and a limp as well, or is that too much?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Did you pick them up before someone stepped on them?
Watch it monkey!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I live fairly close to a university town. The fall semester is about to start, students are flowing in from everywhere trying to find housing and registering for classes. Hence, the town is blessed with a huge book store and right now is when they have a large interesting selection of books.
.... I don't believe I have ever encountered a technological paradigm shift that has influenced me this thoroughly.
Yep, the singularity approaches....
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Watch it monkey!
monkey
We are ok, Iknow when monkey is serious and when monkey is growling showing teeth.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
monkey
We are ok, Iknow when monkey is serious and when monkey is growling showing teeth.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Since the work is something I would likely use as a volume of reference I thought that an electronic version might actually be better, and I admit it, probably far less. So I looked for Kindle and ePub versions. None. Zilch. I then looked at the copyright page and saw that it was 2010. Hmm, should have been produced on a computer. An eBook version would be a piece of cake. Well, what can you do. The publisher don't want to make an eBook, that is there prerogative.
Did you contact the publisher? It may be that an e-book is in the works or your inquiry may cause one to be.

Last edited by wizwor; 08-22-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: corrected a spelling error
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Did you contact the publisher? It may be that an e-book is in the works or your inquiry may cause one to be.
My concern was actually not so much with the tome, as my own cavalier attitude towards the publisher. I'm usually a fairly accomodating individual, and had it been B.K. (Before Kindle) I wouldn't had thought twice about spending those $65 (and perhaps lived on instant noodles for a week), but now I surprised myself with thinking "ehh, why should I be bothered, it's the publisher's problem, not mine". It might not just be the proliferation of eBooks, but also the attitude towards literature spending that I have encountered here. I'm not sure to be honest.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
I don't believe I have ever encountered a technological paradigm shift that has influenced me this thoroughly.
Well its been a long time coming. With the advent of the computer age, than the internet and than smartphones.(Look how fast the cell phone went from just a phone with an alarm clock and calculator to an almost full operating computer.)
We have seen much change in the way we do things in the last 25-30 years when it concerns commmunication and entertainment. The last 5 years has seen huge changes. The smartphone and tablets/ereaders are the culprits of course. I havent been to my old college in a year or so especially during fall. I imagine at least 50% of students have tablets or ereaders for many of their books. Im sure many still carry laptops around as well.

I think though that we will be hitting a technology ceiling soon. If not already. Yeah form factor will change on the devices, software etc. but I cant see anything that will trump the current way we do things when it concerns reading and computing and communication.

Last edited by Tony1988; 08-22-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
kennyc

Oh, but tablets aren't replacing computers.