Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
nizabel
nizabel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
How to tag thoughts, chapters, etc.

In trying to keep styling/layout and content separate, how then should I tag, the thoughts of a character (usually italic), proper names (also italic), etc.

Should I put each chapter in its own block (at the moment I use one file for each chapter). I divide the text into div sections to manage normal breaks in text, such as scene change or thought break (often separated using three * or such).

I also use multiple headings when tagging a chapter header <h1>Chapter 4</h1><h2>The Swamp</h2> (just an example). Is this good use.

I'm aware that anything that looks right may be used, but I would like to think that at some point an advanced screen reader is going to read my work

[Yes I did a search - and found next to nothing, other than that <i> tag is pure style and should not be used, and <em> should only be used for emphasized text!]
nizabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
For general markup you can use <span> with a class, like <span class="ship_name">Invincible</span> or <span class="thoughts">I have a bad feeling about this</span>.

For chapters, you could wrap each of them in a block (I think that's what HTML5 does), but it's enough to use <h1>Chapter Title</h1> at the beginning of each. Having each chapter in a separate file is a good idea too.

Do not use <h1>Chapter 4</h1><h2>The Swamp</h2>, unless "The Swamp" is a subsection of Chapter 4. If you want to style the chapter number and title differently, you can use something like <h1>Chapter 4<br/><span class="title">The Swamp</span></h1>.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
For general markup you can use <span> with a class, like <span class="ship_name">Invincible</span> or <span class="thoughts">I have a bad feeling about this</span>.

For chapters, you could wrap each of them in a block (I think that's what HTML5 does), but it's enough to use <h1>Chapter Title</h1> at the beginning of each. Having each chapter in a separate file is a good idea too.

Do not use <h1>Chapter 4</h1><h2>The Swamp</h2>, unless "The Swamp" is a subsection of Chapter 4. If you want to style the chapter number and title differently, you can use something like <h1>Chapter 4<br/><span class="title">The Swamp</span></h1>.
Just to add a bit to what Jellby wrote. Once you get the span set to a class then in the CSS file you can specify how this should be displayed. So you could display this class in italics for example. If you decide on a different presentation then changing one entry in CSS will apply to all instances.

Not that the br/ used in the chapter is better than 2 sets of H1 tags together as well. Using only on H1 with br/ used for the second line will cause a two line display in the document and the TOC will show "Chapter 4 The Swamp" which is usually what you want.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
nizabel
nizabel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Thanks all.

I've used most of the day studying html and css, and reformatting my work
nizabel is offline   Reply With Quote