Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
New Firmware for Story HD (basic): 1.27

You may already know it, but the new firmware for Story HD (basic) is available on the iriver web site. It says:
  1. Applying Google UI to Story HD(Basic)
  2. Adding multi-languages string
  3. Support multi-languages sting in text file format

I'm sorry, I don't download it, because my HD is a wifi (US) model . I'm not sure how they can apply Google UI to devices that has no internet acces...

The download link is here.
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not sure about "Google UI" either. I don't see anything Google about it, just several UI changes. On the main page, the folder list is now larger by default making it easier to navigate. The current book view became smaller, the Bookmarks/Wordlist point removed altogether (available through the Option key now I guess).

It also has the larger font sizes (I guess the same ones as the Wifi version got with the last update). Furthermore on every page flip it displays the current page number now for a short time at the bottom, along with a progress bar. It's unnecessary, distracting and annoying, there does not seem to be any way to turn it off, and it leaves a slight afterimage too.

Not sure what "multi-languages string" means. I noticed some minor language changes here and there, for example it says "Go To Page" instead of "Move Page" now.

I'll stick to 1.13 for now.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
CaminanteS
CaminanteS began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story HD
There are several good news:
- You can press next-page button and continuosly turns the page. It is quite fast
- You can set the auto-off feature to 3 days or 1 week (last version was 24hours max).
- You can search books by name (only in the current directory, not in subdirectories)
- Max font size is bigger
- PDF zoom is somehow prettier (but still limited to 4 steps).

And a few other cosmetic issues.

I don't feel annoying the display of the current page, and I haven't seen the afterimage.

In general, I am quite satisfied with the update. But I am still waiting for a search function inside the books, be able to add notes (or at least edit bookmarks names), zoom and rotate functionality in images,....

Last edited by CaminanteS; 10-19-2011 at 03:33 AM.
CaminanteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaminanteS View Post
- You can press next-page button and continuosly turns the page. It is quite fast
It's a double edged sword though... press the button slightly too long and it will switch more than one page without you meaning to. Also you could always use the go to page feature or table of contents if you wanted to navigate elsewhere quickly.

Quote:
- You can set the auto-off feature to 3 days or 1 week (last version was 24hours max).
I set mine to 24 hours, the only reason why I do so is because if it turns off, it forgets the font size in the old firmware. Otherwise I'd probably be fine with it turning off after 3 hours.

Quote:
- You can search books by name (only in the current directory, not in subdirectories)
That's not a new feature. The book search is already there in the old firmware and it works just the same way (only in the current directory).

Quote:
- Max font size is bigger
That's great for people with bad eyes, however there are still only 8 font sizes in total. This means that people who want a "normal" font size now have fewer options to select from than before.

Quote:
In general, I am quite satisfied with the update.
At least it is getting updates at all. That's a good thing in any case. I hope that support for the basic version won't be dropped anytime soon - the wifi version is going to be available in Germany in three weeks (starting 9th Nov), so the basic version without wifi will most likely become more or less an endangered species over here.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Lost In Space
Lost In Space began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Cover HD
After updating I have the same problem as I had with the the previous 1.10 update. I can no longer read drm protected books. My bought books are suddenly worthless as are the ones borrowed from our library. Last time the problem was never solved, instead we had a new firmware download with a downgrade to 1.00. I hope something will be done to fix the problem this time. The new functions are wanted. But my experience with the support is not the best. I mailed a couple of times to iRiver, but I never got an answer.

I get this error message: A different Adobe ID has been authorized for use on the device. E_ADEPT_CORE_USER_NOT_ACTIVATED

Last time this seemed to happen to those who authorized in ADE before uppgrading the firmware. Those who authorized afterwards had no problem. And apparently the problem is stuck in my reader.

I have deauthorized the reader in ADE and then authorized anew. Still won't work. Anyone has the same problem?
Lost In Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

Have you copied fresh ebook files to the reader after reauthorizing? I'm not sure exactly how the ade authorization works, but there might be something in the old files that's still linked to the old authorization.

Do new books (not previously on the reader) work?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #7
Wanner
Wanner began at the beginning.

story hd freezes after firmware-update - mistake

I´ve made a mistake and put the hex-file from the folder Patch (EU) in my story hd. This was the wrong one, I guess. Now nothings working. Sliding the power-buttom also does not work. Can someone help plz?

Are there "remedy files" for the story hd like there are for download for the cover? (seen on the iriver-website).
Wanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
Lost In Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Have you copied fresh ebook files to the reader after reauthorizing? I'm not sure exactly how the ade authorization works, but there might be something in the old files that's still linked to the old authorization.

Do new books (not previously on the reader) work?
Yes, I have tried those things. Did it last time too. It turned out to be a bug in the firmware and apparently they haven't fixed it yet. So it seems I will have to run on the 1.00 firmware (until I by a reader of a different brand?).
Old 10-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Page number and progress at the bottom is fine for me. Worse feature in my Wi-Fi firmware v1.21 is the "Press 4-Way Keys to Move Highlight" message appearing either at the top or bottom of a page when the page contains intra-book hyper links. It may appear at the top, hiding first two lines of the new page. It effectively makes me stop reading for a while. Terrible. (I'm not sure the feature is new to 1.2x series, because I got my Story HD recently and it come with 1.21 from the beginning...
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
(I'm not sure the feature is new to 1.2x series, because I got my Story HD recently and it come with 1.21 from the beginning...
At least for the basic this message does not exist in the 1.13 firmware, but it was added in 1.27. I'd have to download old wifi firmwares to see when it was added there.

I haven't actually found any way to select / click on links in epubs yet (with 1.13) but I don't have any files that would require it (for footnotes or whatever) so I haven't missed this feature yet.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Lost In Space

Even newer firmware: 1.28

The bug I mentioned in my earlier post is now fixed in a new firmware version: 1.28. After deauthorizing and authorizing in ADE I can finally read drm books with upgrade firmware.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
esonden
esonden began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Deauthorizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost In Space View Post
The bug I mentioned in my earlier post is now fixed in a new firmware version: 1.28. After deauthorizing and authorizing in ADE I can finally read drm books with upgrade firmware.
Last week I upgraded min Story HD to 1.28 but after several hours of work I had to go back to the original version (1.0). It was impossible to read library books.

I can't find the way to deauthorize the device.

Please: How is it done (or where do I find information about it).

Yours /Esonden
esonden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
j123111
j123111 began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD (basic - EU)
Once upgraded to 1.28 you need to open Adobe Digital Editions. Press ctrl+shift+E with Story HD connected to bring the "unauthorize device" window. After done that you only need to re-authorize the device by reopening ADE.

Hope this helps,
j123111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 AM   #14
esonden
esonden began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Thanks. I will try it as soon as possible /esonden
esonden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Gu1
Gu1 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd (basic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j123111 View Post
Once upgraded to 1.28 you need to open Adobe Digital Editions. Press ctrl+shift+E with Story HD connected to bring the "unauthorize device" window. After done that you only need to re-authorize the device by reopening ADE.

Hope this helps,
Thank you very much for your great help. Now I can read my purchased books again! It is a shame that "Press ctrl+shift+E" is not documented in ADE help and iriver gives no warning what to do after an upgrade.
Gu1 is offline   Reply With Quote