Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
irish66
irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch
Unhappy converted a cbr to epub using calibre -disappointed

Hi. Using calibre portal on my laptop. I chose to convert cbr to epub. I have a kobo touch reader. Yes, it converted it. but the text is far too small to read.
irish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
But what would you expect? It's not as if ANY conversion software for CBR / CBZ is going to extract the text from the images that make up the comic and allow them to be resized; rather, all that has happened is that the images have been resized according to the device profile you have selected in calibre, which if anything, will make the comic even harder to read on a small, non-colour, screen.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
irish66
irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.irish66 knows what's going on.

Hi Peter. Thanks
So it seems that the only way to be read the comics on the touch is in pdf format.
Anyway i thought I would look for some free epub comics, and found some. I'm not sure if it's okay give the link, so i won't.
But from looking at it, the idea is to just have one or two panels on display.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish66 View Post
Correct, if the comics were originally published on paper (10.5"x~7") and they've been scanned then the 'best' way to make them 'readable' on a small screen is to slice the page images into separate strip or frame images.

There are some academic papers, out of Japan, that suggest how this might be automated. But, I've not found any software that does it, if it exists it will probably come from Japan. I haven't looked hard, probably need to crawl through manga/anime discussion forums. I've used image editors to do it manually - tedious at best, mind numbing at worst.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
AFAIK Kobo Touch don't have any replacement for something like Kindle Panel View. And that is what you need irish66. Even then real Panel View can be achieved only by manually setting everything - panel by panel.

Scripts that allow automatically cut comics in most cases fail with any complex panel layout.
Believe me I tested many of them :-P

You can try using our KCC. There is no profile for Kobo Touch there but you can set target size manually. Maybe after our processing images will be slightly more readable. But no promises.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish66 View Post
Hi Peter. Thanks
So it seems that the only way to be read the comics on the touch is in pdf format.
Anyway i thought I would look for some free epub comics, and found some. I'm not sure if it's okay give the link, so i won't.
No... All kobos support CBR / cbz natively...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm with PeterT, use CBR or CBZ on the Kobo ereaders. The Kobo firmware supports zooming of the images in these files. If you really don't want to do that, convert to kepub. This is effectively an epub, but uses a different reader application. In the current versions of the firmware, the kepub reader has an image viewer which does zoom the images.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
irish66

folks, thanks for all the responses.
I'm not getting any messages telling me that there are replies to my post in my gmail now. I don't know why, as I'm sure I got a message about replies to my first post in gmail
Oh, yes you can zoom in on cbr comics. I thought you couldn't.
I'm delighted.