Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a better than average driver?
I am a very good driver. Among the very best there is. 12 19.67%
I am without doubt a better than average driver. 22 36.07%
I am just a little better than average driver. Most of the time. 11 18.03%
I am just a slightly worse than average driver. Usually. 4 6.56%
I am without doubt a worse than average driver. 2 3.28%
I am so bad at driving that I am surprised they let me. 2 3.28%
I don't drive. 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #121
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I tried the braking thing this morning... Didn't work. He did fall back a bit, but then, just as quickly, he crawled up my tail again!
I have to confess, it doesn't always work and sometimes one just has to resort to a loaded cross-bow to get rid of them.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #122
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I have to confess, it doesn't always work and sometimes one just has to resort to a loaded cross-bow to get rid of them.
Oh, I took my revenge... At the next red light. It's a double lane (the rest is single lane), and I went to the left lane (he even tried to squeeze past me, but you have to have a very, very, very good car to be able to do that. Besides, I welcome a good scratch, not caused by me, because I think my car oculd use a new paint job!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #123
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Seriously, driving around and back and forth is not a game, however sexy it might look or feel. Even if some take it this way, it remains one of the most deadly individual activities.

So, it is very nice nice and entertaining to laugh about it, it has exorcising benefits. It is a little macabre, like in Mexico that they sell little skulls of sugar for the kids. It is tribal, and can add to the danger.

Fantasy
Spoiler:
One of my fantasies, when I am on a long line of stopped traffic on the highway, coming back from one of those long week ends, and there is someone smarter than the rest of us that goes ahead on the emergency lane, is to have one of my passengers throw a brick in his windshield while he passes us. But if I did that I would end in prison, he might have a serious accident, maybe somebody would be seriously hurt, life ruined .... No good

I drive since many years,
Spoiler:
I can measure it with the simplest unit fraction of a century, yes, that old, in spite of my extraordinary good looks (my mother's fault) and unconstrained vitality. I also started very early, in the family they had businesses involving transportation. I started one of the trucks of my grand father when I was 4. Luckily I was too small to reach the pedals. My granddad kissed me fondly and gave me gifts, and then, when I had enough strength, he taught me few things
not ever an accident, even the tiniest parking bump.

The core of it is simple.

Go as fast as you feel comfortable.
Spoiler:
if you are not so experienced and you drive a powerfull car like mine, that goes to 180 km/hr without me noticing the speed, you might be in trouble. You better have somebody expert near you that shows you how to handle the car safely, right and left turns mostly, use of breaks and gears. Under and over turning. this stuff. On winding roads with changes of slope and variable visibility. Learn your style. Experiment on the wet, on the snow and on the ice. Pick up a large empty parking lot and get few scares. See what happens if: you break violently, you turn too much. try a narrow turn accelerating and breaking, suddendly letting the steering wheel go. See if you can turn the car while almost still, just with the power. Have fun, in the parking lot. Burn a little your tires. Know your car. And keep it in shape. I mean, who cares about gum wrappers scattered all over, I mean the mechanics, and all that expensive stuff. Tires first of all and the lights.

Keep concentrated on your driving as it needs.
Spoiler:
I do not even think while I drive. Well maybe I think a little about my loves (I am lucky, I have 3 of them going on now, which is a very good situation. I can look at all these beauties going around without any bitter sting of need or of regret, perfect contemplating admiration, they respond more). I do not take phone calls. I have an intense work/business activity but I do not take calls. if, I realy have to. I stop. OlderDaughter calls while driving. I ask where she is and if she is driving, I cut her off. No sex in the car. that's really dangerous, but dangerous. I have a kit for that, blankets and such. if the urge rises. I stop, find a place and do. Never in the car. Yes it is exciting. A hand that goes somewhere. A head that rests on a shoulder. Whow. Dangerous stuff. Very very dangerous.

Be predictable by the others.
Spoiler:
Driving is anticipation. Knowing in advance what will happen. A good driver is consistent and predictable. We recognize each other one mile away and relax. Just by the way we keep the car on the road. Therefore, there is no room for emotions while driving, no irritation, no insulting, nothing, just scanning the variables with the eyes, while the subconscious handles the car, keeping the maximum distance from the car ahead and from the car behind. The car behind can be a problem: a clear head, devoid of emotions can help. At least resist to go faster. Do not provoke. Let him pass. Many times he is there because somebody is pushing him, repeat. It helps to listen, the motor first of all, the wind, the noise of the tires, so music is a little disturbing, mostly. In thick fog I keep the window down. I should be at home, I know, but in winter, where I live some times I have to drive through it, and that is very very tricky. I hope to find a big truck and stay in its back, so behind that I can barely see its tail lights, and listen and hope for the best.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #124
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I welcome a good scratch, not caused by me, because I think my car oculd use a new paint job!)
where you ever able to have something like that completely covered by some one else to your complete satisfaction?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #125
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
And remember to stay off the roadways when Beppe is driving.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #126
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Smile

I am better than average because unlike most drivers, I know when to NOT drive.

Had a horrible outcome to an eye surgery in June and haven't been in the driver's seat since Could I "probably" get to the store just around the corner? Yeah. Would I attempt it? Nope! Not worth it. I've seen too many accidents caused by people that thought "they could just go around the corner".

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #127
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
I am better than average because unlike most drivers, I know when to NOT drive.

Had a horrible outcome to an eye surgery in June and haven't been in the driver's seat since Could I "probably" get to the store just around the corner? Yeah. Would I attempt it? Nope! Not worth it. I've seen too many accidents caused by people that thought "they could just go around the corner".

Marie
I am sorry for your eye.
This is the best post on this thread, by far