Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #46
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Kovid For what you have produced with Calibre and voluntarily, I salute you.

I have recently upgraded to 0.7.17 and HOLY MOSES in the bullrushes, this now loads up significantly faster than previous versions.
Calibre had been loading/running faster and faster on my Windows 7 64 bit dual-core system with each update.

In either 20 or 21 it suddenly slowed to a crawl. I have about 2800 books in my database.

I haven't installed any new software except the Firefox 4 beta.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing slowness just in the last couple of updates?
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #47
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
Calibre had been loading/running faster and faster on my Windows 7 64 bit dual-core system with each update.

In either 20 or 21 it suddenly slowed to a crawl. I have about 2800 books in my database.
In 0.7.21 the following was added.
  • Quote:
    Automatic backup of the calibre metadata database "calibre now automatically backups up the metadata for each book in the library into an individual OPF file in that books' folder. This means that if the calibre metadata database is corrupted, for example by a hard disk failure, you can reconstruct it from these OPF files, without losing any metadata. For the moment, only the backup is implemented, restore will be implemented in the future. The backup happens automatically in the background while calibre is running. The first time you start calibre, all the books will need to be backed up, so you may notice calibre running a little slower than usual."
Once it runs for a while (an hour plus) the slowness should go away. However there were a few other items that needed minor correcting that were fixed in 0.7.22, have you upgraded?

Also since 2800 opf files are being created your anti-virus is working overtime and if you have your library synced via Dropbox or something similar this adds to the initial slowdown.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #48
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
In 0.7.21 the following was added.
Once it runs for a while (an hour plus) the slowness should go away. However there were a few other items that needed minor correcting that were fixed in 0.7.22, have you upgraded?

Also since 2800 opf files are being created your anti-virus is working overtime and if you have your library synced via Dropbox or something similar this adds to the initial slowdown.
I downloaded the beta before the official release just to get the opfs written . I left it running overnight at that time and it wrote all the metadata files. The laptop has been on overnight several times since then. It's slow well after the metadata updates completed. I do have antivirus software, but would it still be churning those files at least a week later (if not longer?)

I don't remember what version I'm running on, I do want to say 22, but, I can't swear to it (not being at home).

If I have the most recent version, is there something else it could be? Or is anyone else having speed issues? I have no problems with assuming it's my system, it just seems weird that after an update Calibre is suddenly is dragging its heels, and everything else is still zippy. So, I thought I'd check in here .
Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #49
aritza
aritza began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Calibre has also slowed down to a crawl at start time for me starting a couple of versions ago, I believe, but getting progressively worse. It takes FIVE MINUTES for the database to open. I think the problem started when I went from 6000 books to 8000. I use Windows 7 (32) on a Intel Core2 Due with 4GB of RAM.

I read somewhere that there is a Database Integrity Button in Preferences > Advanced > Miscellaneous, but I cannot find it.
aritza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #50
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I doubt it has anything to do with the calibre upgrade, but you can always check that by downgrading to a previous release. All old releases of calibre are available from sourceforge. If it is indeed the newer versions that are slow, do let me know.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #51
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aritza View Post
I read somewhere that there is a Database Integrity Button in Preferences > Advanced > Miscellaneous, but I cannot find it.
Starting is 0.7.23, that function is located in the library pull-down menu under 'library maintenance'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 AM   #52
Gwen Morse
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with the calibre upgrade, but you can always check that by downgrading to a previous release. All old releases of calibre are available from sourceforge. If it is indeed the newer versions that are slow, do let me know.
I downgraded, checked the speed and it was faster. Then I updated once again to the next version in the list (it literally popped up when I was online testing all this).

I'll write it off as "something glitchy" in the previous upgrade.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #53
vitalichka
Enthusiast
vitalichka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Running a dual core 2.3 GHz 3 GB RAM Win 7 -64-bit and runs very slowly.
Noticed this to be the case in the last 3 or 4 version updates in Calibre.
Takes over 30 seconds to open.
What I find odd is that if open preferences and change something then click close it takes about 15 seconds or so. Searches take forever as well, sometimes I'll start searching and it will lock-up temporarily displaying 'not responding' at the top.
Then it resumes and I can finish typing the query.
Adding books has become a pain because a single html file with no links sometimes takes upwards of 20 seconds to be added while most pdfs are much faster.

I have not only defragmented the system but also moved system files to the front of the disk for faster access time and still nothing.

my 2 cents, if this can be taken care of it would great.

Last edited by vitalichka; 02-08-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added RAM
vitalichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #54
pckopp
Enthusiast
pckopp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, eReader
Just the opposite for me.

I have a i7 Intel box, 8G RAM, typical 1G disk. Win7 x64. With a library of over 2500 books, the current version of Calibre opens to complete functionality in less than 5 seconds - with the splash screen.
pckopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #55
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
I have about 10 apps running right now. I just leave them all open and running. The only time I shut down calibre lately is to upgrade to the next version. So, startup times are not usually an issue. Launch the app and then go get some coffee (or a beer) and you will never notice how long it takes to launch and it won't get on your nerves. Leave it running instead of shutting down and restarting all the time. You probably have plenty of memory and hard drive space so why cycle it at all?

A couple things here though; When you first startup any modern operating system it takes a couple minutes to get everything setup and if you launch a program in those first few seconds it will take much longer to launch; or if the computer has been running other programs and it has been a long time since you launched that program all memory has been cleaned of its presence and the OS must now reallocate memory and paging space for the program again. This takes longer than if you just restart the program and the OS picks up where it left off.

So, it is not your setup per-se it is just the way the program works especially when first launched after you just startup your computer.

After working with video conversions, converting books is comparably, blindingly fast.

Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #56
vitalichka
Enthusiast
vitalichka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
What you say makes sense Archon. But in my case, the OS has been loaded for some time when I start Calibre.
Also, sometimes it takes so long that it begins to display the not responding at the top.
I know it's working so I leave it and it comes back to life after a little while.

I think it's because if a large library maybe.
It's just odd cuz everything I do with Calibre is slow now.
Opening preferences and closing takes time, sending to device pretty much crashes it.
Odd.
vitalichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You likely have a conflict with some software/hardware on your system. The most common suspects are a Wacom mouse or an aggressive anti-virus program.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #58
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
I run CCleaner before a Defrag. Getting rid of a multitude of temp files, internet history etc can release a load of space and cut down on lags.

Also, if the PC is reliable, CCleaner provides a simple process to delete all but the most recent System restore points and shadow copies. This can release mega amounts of space on a well used hard drive. Often that alone is enough to speed up a machine. (Get your download from Pirifom)
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote