Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Reader's Screen Went Crazy, Now Sony Wants $267.49

My Reader's screen was covered in black lines and was very dark a few days ago when I turned it on, so I called Sony to schedule a repair. Now they are saying that it is physical damage and want $267.49 to repair.

I am requesting they send me a picture to see if it broke even more during shipment back. I hope this ends well

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Sam Krupa

UPDATE: Now Sony is saying that it has been dropped. Looks like I am being stone-walled because they have a faulty product.

UPDATE: Definitely a product flaw in the Reader, look at scotty's post below!

UPDATE: Look below for pictures provided by Sony support.

UPDATE:
I am fighting this one.

After reading other posts in this thread, I decided to post this to digg. I would appreciate it if you guys could give it your diggs!

http://digg.com/gadgets/BROKEN_Sony_...WALLED_by_Sony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown-1.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	2633   Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	2634  

Last edited by sammykrupa; 01-10-2007 at 02:44 PM.
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
did you try and just take it back to the store? If you got it at borders they should replace it no questions asked as long as you have the receipt. They did it for me...

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

I did get it at a borders, I am calling them now! Thanks for the idea lint!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

No go on that front (-:
Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I had the exact same thing happen (in the first 2 hours) with the first unit I got. Nothing physical happened to the unit, she was reading her first ebook and it just died.

Sony was so unprepared we were unable to get an exchange unit, we wound up returning it for credit to the Sony Online Store.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Wow.

Sam Krupa
Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
JimCuk
Enthusiast
JimCuk began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
Sounds a bit harsh Sam, did you throw it at a wall? lol if you didnt do anything mad with it shouldnt it just be a warrenty job?
JimCuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
From the other side of the coin, if the reports are true that the screen alone costs about $150, then the $267.49 is not an unreasonable estimate for repair if it was their fault that it broke. For a warrenty repair it is totally unresaonable.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Got the pictures

Update here.

Got the pictures from the tech support. Included is the report filed by the tech. The report says "LCDcracked"! Of course there was no actual physical damage shown in the photos. The report even shows that the Reader is out of warranty! The tech obviously has no idea what a Reader is, and thinks it has a broken LCD!

Looks like I am having the same problem as scotty!

Sam Krupa
Old 01-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Aerlock
Aerlock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
Update here.

Got the pictures from the tech support...
Would you mind posting them here I'm curious to see what happens when an e-ink screen goes bad. I'm relatively new to the e-ink world (My reader is less than a week old) but I've been following the tech for a while. I just haven't yet seen what a bad screen looks like.

Thanks

Aerlock
Aerlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Pictures

Here you go.

Sam Krupa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown-1.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	2631   Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	2632  
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

No doubt SONY have the worst warrenty in the world. When plastic cover around left hinge of My TX850 laptop has a crack, I called SONY and they also told me it is "physical damage" and will not cover under warrenty. My laptop has only been used for about a month. Later on I google the web and found all TX-7xx, TX-8xx models will have this crack within first several months and there are tons of complains. Yes, it is physical damage, but due to poor quality and poor design. I suggest SONY use paper instead of plastic next time on their laptop, and deny any warrenty claim from your guys.

That day I made at least 10 phone calls to SONY, and finally reached the head at San Jose repair center. He agreed to fix it under warrenty. It is really a hassle to deal with SONY.

There's only one solution: fight back, and fight back hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
Update here.

Got the pictures from the tech support. Included is the report filed by the tech. The report says "LCDcracked"! Of course there was no actual physical damage shown in the photos. The report even shows that the Reader is out of warranty! The tech obviously has no idea what a Reader is, and thinks it has a broken LCD!

Looks like I am having the same problem as scotty!

Sam Krupa
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

How long have you had the Reader sammy? If it's still in the warranty period I would definitely argue with them about it. If you go up through enough managers and feel like putting a couple of hours phone time in, you should get it covered.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader

Only since October. I am fighting this one.

After reading other posts in this thread, I decided to post this to digg. I would appreciate it if you guys could give it your diggs!

http://digg.com/gadgets/BROKEN_Sony_...WALLED_by_Sony
Old 01-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Ummmm the spontaneous failure I experienced is has some differences from the one shown in the pictures. The major difference is the diagonal lines radiating from a spot in the upper left of the panel. The panel appears physically damaged by a point source impact that created diagonal cracks in the panel.

Now all those horizontal effects, that is what I saw.

Did it have those diagonal effects when you shipped it to Sony?
Did you take pictures before you sent the unit to Sony?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote