Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Stanza on Touch won't recognize Calibre library

I've used Stanza plenty of times to upload books to my Touch from my Calibre library on my PC.

Now all of a sudden Stanza won't recognize my Calibre library. When I go to Get Books>Shared>Computers Sharing Books in Stanza, it simply says "Searching..." and then there is the symbol that shows Stanza is trying to connect.

I went into Calibre's settings for the Content Server, and it says the server is running. Could it be some setting on this page that I have to adjust?

I double checked that the wi-fi is working on myTouch (it is) and that both my PC and my Touch are on the same network.

I was connecting as recently as a few weeks ago. The only thing I can remember that is different is that I just updated my Calibre app on my PC today. But as I said, it says the content server is running.

Anyone have a solution?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reboot your computer
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
That fixed it. Thanks so much, Kovi. I can't believe it was such a simple fix.

And thanks for creating such a wonderful app and making it widely available to all.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
G_net
G_net began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
I don’t know if this is the same type of thing, but mine now says “Catalog Error could not connect to the server” I’m not sure what this means. My ipod is connected by wi-fi, which is working.
G_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_net View Post
I don’t know if this is the same type of thing, but mine now says “Catalog Error could not connect to the server” I’m not sure what this means. My ipod is connected by wi-fi, which is working.
It would be the same thing if rebooting your computer fixed the problem. Did rebooting your computer fix the problem? If yes why are you posting this question? If no then you know it is not the same thing.

If rebooting didn't fix the problem then supply some additional background info that might help.

What OS? What version of calibre? Has this been working previously? Is this your first attempt to get this working? Do you have a firewall? Have you allowed the program permission to pass through your firewall?

There are a couple of things you can try in this thread.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-27-2010 at 12:11 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
G_net

No, rebooting didn’t work. I’m using Mac OS X 10.6.4, Snowleopard, Calibre 0.7.10, Stanza 3.0.3. I’ve used it many times before without problem. No firewall.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Catalog Error could not connect to the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_net View Post
No, rebooting didn’t work. I’m using Mac OS X 10.6.4, Snowleopard, Calibre 0.7.10, Stanza 3.0.3. I’ve used it many times before without problem. No firewall.
When was the last time you used it successfully?

Was this error preceded by any newly installed software, virus or spam?

Did you try increasing the timeout in stanza as suggested by Kovid in the thread I pointed to? Also in that thread itimpi asked that poster,
Quote:
Are you setting the URL in Stanza up as a Catalog or a Web page? If you are setting it up as a Catalog, then try adding /stanza at the end of the URL.
I don't have a clue I'm just hoping that when someone who does have a clue reads this thread they will find here all of the information needed to help you out.

I wish you well.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-27-2010 at 02:30 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
G_net

I was unable to solve this but .... i found a way around it. I can connect my ipod to the computer and send it to ibook instead of Stanza. It’s not wireless but it works.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
denisea
denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iphone, ipad mini, ipad 1
same issue with iphone, stanza & calibre

I'm having the same issue as previously reported. Here are the conditions I'm running into:

1. I'm running one instance of calibre (0.7.12) on my Macbook (10.6.4). Straightforward airport extreme network without extensive firewalls.
2. I have both an iphone and and iPod touch on my network--on both devices I'm getting the same results.
3. When I go to Stanza > Get Books > Shared Stanza "sees" Calibre automatically under Computers Sharing Books. However, when I select it (on either device), I get a timeout error.
4. I've tried manually entering my Calibre library as a book source, and that times out on both devices as well. I've tried entering as a catalog (with/stanza after the port/) and as a url. Times out in both instances.
5. I've confirmed that other computers on the network can go to the ebook management url.
6. I've rebooted the computer, the iphone, and the ipod touch and disconnected and reconnected to the wireless network. None of these actions did the trick.

I love stanza and calibre--I'd rather not have to use ibooks (transferred via physical USB connection) to read my books. Any help is appreciated.
denisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Increase the timeout in stanza and make sure your stanza is at least version 3.0
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
denisea
denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thanks, Kovid. I'm running Stanza 3.0.3 and I've increased the timeout to 200. Unfortunately, I get the same results. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then you have some NAT/firewall issue. Look at the server logs accessible via Preferences->content server and see if any requests from stanza are reaching the server at all
Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
denisea

Again, Thanks for your quick reply. I've got it working again. The only thing I did was have airport extreme renew DHCP lease. For some reason, that did the trick. However, if you have any additional insights in the cause/remedy in case it happens again, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
tamtam2000
tamtam2000 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nook
Exactly the same problem...

I've also got the same problem that denisea had -

1. I run Calibre (0.7.15) on a PC. I sync it to my nook as well as my iPhone 4.
2. When I go to Stanza > Get Books > Shared Stanza "sees" my Calibre library automatically under Computers Sharing Books. I know it's connecting because I can see the books that I've loaded into Calibre. Also, I've tested server through calibre and by books are there.
3. When I try to download books to the phone in Stanza, I get an error message, which says:

"Import failed: failed to download and import [book name]: failed writing downloaded book data to: /private/var/mobile/Applications/ [long string of numbers and letters] /tmp/Downloads/download-[number]" Any ideas?

I really love using Calibre and Stanza and would love to add more books to my device. One day it just stopped working and I have no idea why.....

Anything anyone can suggest would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisea View Post
I'm having the same issue as previously reported. Here are the conditions I'm running into:

1. I'm running one instance of calibre (0.7.12) on my Macbook (10.6.4). Straightforward airport extreme network without extensive firewalls.
2. I have both an iphone and and iPod touch on my network--on both devices I'm getting the same results.
3. When I go to Stanza > Get Books > Shared Stanza "sees" Calibre automatically under Computers Sharing Books. However, when I select it (on either device), I get a timeout error.
4. I've tried manually entering my Calibre library as a book source, and that times out on both devices as well. I've tried entering as a catalog (with/stanza after the port/) and as a url. Times out in both instances.
5. I've confirmed that other computers on the network can go to the ebook management url.
6. I've rebooted the computer, the iphone, and the ipod touch and disconnected and reconnected to the wireless network. None of these actions did the trick.

I love stanza and calibre--I'd rather not have to use ibooks (transferred via physical USB connection) to read my books. Any help is appreciated.
tamtam2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That is a known problem at the Stanza end. It normally fixes itself if you do a complete shutdown/reboot of the iPhone.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote