Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
what's on your dock..?

inspired by another thread. what apps live on your dock?

i've got:

(ipad)

mail
safari
newsrack
evernote
pastebot

still holding out for a 6th candidate.

(iphone)
phone
mail
safari
ipod

Last edited by scottjl; 05-27-2010 at 03:45 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mail
Safari
Photos
iBooks
App store
Pages
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iPhone:
Stanza
Textie
Safari
iPod

iPad:
iBooks
Mail
Twitterific
Safari
Textie
Video
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Mail
Safari
iBooks
Corkulous
Pcalc Lite
Settings (I go back and forth between the Canadian and US app stores so I need to change id... shh, don't tell Apple )
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Settings (I go back and forth between the Canadian and US app stores so I need to change id... shh, don't tell Apple )
You can do that??
(eyeing soon to be opened Japan App Store..)
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Gmail (bookmark)
Safari
Atomic Web Browser (Safari will go away once I finish replicating my bookmarks into Atomic, ugh.)
Settings (forever messing with brightness and turning bluetooth off/on)
AIM
The Weather Channel

This setup has changed every couple of days though, and it will probably change again. Right now, most utilities are on one page, games on another, readers on a third, and then the can't delete/unused apps are on the fourth. How is everyone sorting theirs?
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

victoria, you know you can upload your safari bookmarks into atomic right..? no need to duplicate them.. you might also want to check out icab mobile. it replaced atomic for me. better features and interface imho.

if you have a jailbroken ipad, look into SBSettings.. it has very quick access to things like brightness, wifi/bt/3g toggles, and more.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
You can do that??
(eyeing soon to be opened Japan App Store..)
Yes

Normally you need to have a credit card to open a new US account, but...

If instead of trying to open an account the normal way you just log-off your main account and then go to the US site (just switch to the appropriate flag at the bottom) and attempt to "purchase" a free app, you will then get a slightly different sign-up screen that accepts "No Credit Card" as an option.

You will still need to provide a valid US address but that's easy enough... I happen to use my sister's in Sherman Oaks, but any would do.

That establishes your account and you can use it for free apps. I did this to get a hold of iBooks when I discovered it wasn't included and had to be DL'd.

You can also buy apps easily enough by purchasing one of those preloaded Visas, Amex or Mastercards that are useable worldwide, or a US iTunes gift card.

However, be aware that Apple just recently changed their user agreement (about a week ago) and now you have to explicitly agree to only use the store for the country the device currently is in. So it's possible that my apps purchased in the US store may be in jeopardy at some point in the future. However, I'm not sure how strictly they will enforce this since it means that any US user travelling abroad has to theoretically stop using the US app store and itunes...

It's a grey area so if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.

It also creates a bit of a hassle since you must update apps from the store you bought them from...hence my need to switch back and forth to manage updates.

Last edited by Fotoman; 05-27-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

are there many apps available in one country and not another? seems like a major hassle. why do you go through it?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Safari
iBooks
Kindle for iPad
Netflix app
Photos
Mail
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Yes

Normally you need to have a credit card to open a new US account, but...

If instead of trying to open an account the normal way you just log-off your main account and then go to the US site (just switch to the appropriate flag at the bottom) and attempt to "purchase" a free app, you will then get a slightly different sign-up screen that accepts "No Credit Card" as an option.

You will still need to provide a valid US address but that's easy enough... I happen to use my sister's in Sherman Oaks, but any would do.

That establishes your account and you can use it for free apps. I did this to get a hold of iBooks when I discovered it wasn't included and had to be DL'd.

You can also buy apps easily enough by purchasing one of those preloaded Visas, Amex or Mastercards that are useable worldwide, or a US iTunes gift card.

However, be aware that Apple just recently changed their user agreement (about a week ago) and now you have to explicitly agree to only use the store for the country the device currently is in. So it's possible that my apps purchased in the US store may be in jeopardy at some point in the future. However, I'm not sure how strictly they will enforce this since it means that any US user travelling abroad has to theoretically stop using the US app store and itunes...

It's a grey area so if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.

It also creates a bit of a hassle since you must update apps from the store you bought them from...hence my need to switch back and forth to manage updates.
Very cool, thanks for the info!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Mail
Safari
dictionary
B&N app
Kindle app
iBooks app
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
iCabMobile (webbrowser)
Mail
Photos
Comic Zeal
Arcreaders
Goodreader
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Safari
Mail
Comic Zeal
Photos
Ipod
Settings

I use Safari, Mail, and Comic Zeal all the time. Photos and Ipod are still there from default... I use Ipod sometimes but not Photos so I should find something to replace it (probably Goodreader). I keep Settings in the dock since I keep getting disconnected from wifi and have to go in and manually select my wifi account to reconnect. Hopefully when they release the wifi patch I'll be able to remove Settings from the doc.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Fotoman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
are there many apps available in one country and not another? seems like a major hassle. why do you go through it?
In my case it was a matter of both the app store and iBooks not being fully functional for the iPad here until just last week.

iBooks and iWorks have just now become available in the Canadian store and you still can only get the free books.

I bought my iPad the week after US release and I would have waited except they pushed our official release back by a month. I knew it would be an extra hassle but it was worth it for me.

Many people have been doing what I described up here for years to access some US only apps such as Pandora, Netflix, etc. on the iPhone or iPods. But then they also have to do IP redirection through some VPN set-up since their streams are IP locked. I've thought about those a few times but never bothered.