Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #16
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I personally must have ePub support since I take out lots of digital library books. I also want ePub support so I am able to shop at a selection of ebookstores. I shop around for p-books (best price, most enjoyable shopping environment), so why shouldn't I be able to do the same for eBooks?
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What do you really gain over the Kindle with a nook. A few basic games? Sure, it supports ePub and that opens up your store selection. But, who cares if any ebook you can get is in the Kindle store.

BOb
Well, it's definitely no longer a guarantee that any ebook you can get is available in the Kindle store - why, look at all those books published by Penguin after 4/1 that are missing.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
My main concern is that they seem to have added games, while the biggest gap the device had in my mind was unaddressed. When iBooks has better ways to view my book collection (both bought and side loaded), I'm saddened.
I agree, I would much rather prefer folder support and improved dictionary. The games and browser are nice to have, but they should get the basics sorted first.

I've been holding softrooting my nook in the hope that this 1.3 would bring at least folder support, but it is clear now that softroot is the way to go.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
What do you really gain over the Kindle with a nook. A few basic games? Sure, it supports ePub and that opens up your store selection. But, who cares if any ebook you can get is in the Kindle store.

BOb
I know...which is why I won't act on it. The rule is I need to wait 30 days between "OMG SHINY WANT" and actually buying...it avoids those momentary impulse purchases that just end up biting me in the butt!
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #20
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
WOOHOO!! This is awesome! Too bad I can't get them to send me a unit for review. I'd love a chance to review the Nook. T_T
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #21
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Someone on the B&N nook boards made an interesting point about the update:

Quote:

Ah I just realized something.

This updated fixed a few items to improve performace but the majority of the items were geared to sell the nook to new users.

So I think this is the iPad update and not a nook update.

B&N please, on the next update work on fixing the current features before adding more. That music player needs a major overhaul, searching for all books, etc...
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #22
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
The browser- I am afraid to use because of loading times. I mean I am not expecting much out of it, since it is on a different display.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
wallyworld
wallyworld began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (?)
Quote:

BOb
Library books....pretty big difference in my opinion.
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyworld View Post
Library books....pretty big difference in my opinion.
That is probably the 1 valid reason. This is assuming you don't want to or can't just liberate.

Of course, "big reason"... perhaps if you live in a location that has a local system with a good selection. So this doesn't apply to everyone.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #25
wallyworld
wallyworld began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (?)
Quote:
That is probably the 1 valid reason. This is assuming you don't want to or can't just liberate.

Of course, "big reason"... perhaps if you live in a location that has a local system with a good selection. So this doesn't apply to everyone.

BOb
I do have a local system with a decent selection....and I am letting them know I want more. I think they need to hear it more places. As far behind on my reading as I am, I have plenty of titles I have yet to read there.

Wally
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Yay! I has eInk Ipad!!! zOMG Chess is teh best!!!!!!!11one
WTG BN.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #27
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Seriously. So far, it seems slower. The touch screen interface is now cluttered. We need a way to turn off all the other nonsense.My first page turn reflashed the screen into a weird black bordered box for two pages. Then it finally came back to normal.

I dusted off my K2 and page turns are substantially faster on the K2. B&N is getting there, but they're still a full second off. I'll have to see if WiFi plays a part in the speed on the nook. At least they fixed the DST bug. I don't have to live in the canadian atlantic time zone anymore for the summer. I can now safely live home in EST.

I still can't connect to my WEP test router. WEP!

It sits on "obtaining address" for a good 15 minutes before I give up.

**EDIT** 16 minutes later, it connected.

B*N makes me laugh. The LCD and the eInk screen show the same web page.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 04-25-2010 at 11:29 AM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I don't mean to be persnickety but wouldn't a thread about a Nook firmware update be more appropriate in the ...... er, Nook forum?
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #29
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
The browser is only available in Wi-Fi? One reason I'm considering buying a new reader is so I can do a minimal e-mail check, etc. while on the train or whatever. Having to look for wi-fi hotspots is not what I was hoping for. Thanks for the information, gang.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote