Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Defnes
Defnes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
BN books for another device

Hello,
I don't own a Nook. Can I buy from bn.com and read on my Sony Reader or some other device?
Thank you.
Defnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
They sell two types of books, eReader and ePub. You never know in advance what you will get, because they don't tell you. There are a few other ereaders that can read their eReader format (iRex 800 and jetBook-Lite are reported), but most cannot so you have to be careful. Moreover, their ePub format has a relatively new form of DRM that is supported only by a handful of ereaders. AFAIK the Sony doesn't support it. So it is safer not to buy B&N ebooks for other devices unless you are willing to remove the DRM and convert them. Some say removing DRM is illegal, at least in some countries.

Last edited by pietvo; 04-20-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: aded a few ereaders that understand B&N eReader format
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
I don't think there are other ereaders that can read their eReader format.
iRex 800 perfectly can read their eReader (pdb) format.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Good to know.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
They sell two types of books, eReader and ePub. You never know in advance what you will get, because they don't tell you. I don't think there are other ereaders that can read their eReader format. Moreover, their ePub format has a relatively new form of DRM that is supported only by a handful of ereaders. AFAIK the Sony doesn't support it. So it is safer not to buy B&N ebooks for other devices unless you are willing to remove the DRM and convert them. Some say removing DRM is illegal, at least in some countries.
jetBook-Lite can read their eReader (pdb) format.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
lcalvin
lcalvin began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Everything I've bought from BN so far has been .pdb

Anything that will run the old eReader software reads those seamlessly and invisibly.
(e.g. I'm planning to buy a Nook, but have a huge investment in eReader - something like 1300 books between eReader.com and fictionwise.com
http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm

I have only tested Windows, Palm OS and Windows Mobile 6.1. and all were fine (used the same credit card at BN as existing library on Palm OS and Windows desktop and didn't even have to reinput credit card.) Purchased about a dozen books so far.

There's supposed to be an iPad app for eReader format (.pdb) coming soon.

Android
Symbian
Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson
iPhone and iPod touch
BlackBerry
Palm OS
PocketPC 2002 or Earlier
Windows Mobile Smartphone and PocketPC 2003 or Later
Windows
Linux
Ubuntu 9.0.4 or later Macintosh OQO
lcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcalvin View Post
Everything I've bought from BN so far has been .pdb

Anything that will run the old eReader software reads those seamlessly and invisibly.
(e.g. I'm planning to buy a Nook, but have a huge investment in eReader - something like 1300 books between eReader.com and fictionwise.com
http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm

I have only tested Windows, Palm OS and Windows Mobile 6.1. and all were fine (used the same credit card at BN as existing library on Palm OS and Windows desktop and didn't even have to reinput credit card.) Purchased about a dozen books so far.

There's supposed to be an iPad app for eReader format (.pdb) coming soon.

Android
Symbian
Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson
iPhone and iPod touch
BlackBerry
Palm OS
PocketPC 2002 or Earlier
Windows Mobile Smartphone and PocketPC 2003 or Later
Windows
Linux
Ubuntu 9.0.4 or later Macintosh OQO
Yes, Nook is expensive. JetBook-Lite available for $99 from NewEgg with $30 off coupon code today:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=28
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I believe when the Nook was first released, B&N stated they would be converting their library to Epub and actually had a few titles in that format, which I think eventually were converted back.

Are they no longer planning on converting their library to Epub?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Yes, Nook is expensive. JetBook-Lite available for $99 from NewEgg with $30 off coupon code today:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=28
He ment to say he has a lot of ebook in the eReader format... not that the nook was expensive. Granted it cost more than a JBL.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
lcalvin
lcalvin began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
I'd really like to know the answer to that question about ePub. I took a chance on a book I really wanted electronically. I'm fascinated by the $99 jetbook though, for my husband, who needs the super large fonts
lcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
If you dl the book from their site it will be in pdb format, if you download it with your nook it will be in epub format.. same book. I have tested this with several titles, both purchased and free samples.

the sony read supports epub, so you would need to remove the drm from the pdb and convert it to epub, its not that hard, but I can't tell you how to do it on this forum
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
When I download books using the B&N reader application on Windows, it sometimes downloads as .pdb and sometimes downloads as .epub. I haven't validated it, but I expect that all of the .epub's are using B&N's encryption scheme, which can't be read yet on a Sony. I think there's a decryption tool floating about somewhere on the intertubes though.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote