Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Jan J
Enthusiast
Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS600
Unhappy Software problem on Mac

I have read all the threads and can't find a similar problem. Last weekend my hard drive failed. We took it in to the Apple Store and they replaced the hard drive and restored my Mac from my Time Machine backup. (thank goodness I had that!)

Everything seems to work again just great EXCEPT for the Sony reader! It just won't open at all. It also won't quit unless I "force" quit. The little white dot is under it when I click on it and then as I said I have to use the force quit. It never does open. I have uninstalled through Terminal and reinstalled twice now. Still same problem. Just refuses to open.

Any help out there? I am sure Sony support will only tell me to reinstall, which I have done. It had worked without a problem until the hard drive failure.
Imac running Leopard 10.5.8
Jan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
One does wonder if you restored from TM backup why the Sony app doesn't work, but that's Sony for you.
However, first of all uninstall again, then, if you dig around in your Mac Library files you will see a whole lot of Sony related files in a variety of locations. I deleted them all and reinstalled (after rebooting). It did then work (although now for some reason, it has decided to stop seeing my reader when I plug it in. I suspect it's because I've loaded PRS+ and live in the UK so it doesn't like the US firmware).
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Jan, There are two things you can do to get more info about what's happening:
1) Open Console.app (it is in Utilities), and then try to start the Reader app. Look in Console if any error messages appear (maybe in `All Messages').
2) Start the Reader App from Terminal with this command:
"/Applications/Reader Library.app/Contents/MacOS/Reader Library"
(including the quotes!) Some error messages might come up in the Terminal window.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Jan J
Enthusiast
Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for your replies. I will try the above today and let you know if I have good results. I'm still fairly new to Mac so I really appreciate any help more than you know!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
trailmaven
trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trailmaven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 505
I had an identical problem yesterday and spent an hour with sony support today to get it resolved. The good news is that it is resolved -- multiple steps, but done.

First, go to your <user>Library/Preferences/ and remove the folders called Sony Corporation; fsk; and Marlin

Then go to system preferences and choose language preferences. Choose US (computer) from the popup if US is the listed language -- why there is a difference is obscure, but apparently this is important to sony.

Then go to applications and delete the reader library app

reinstall reader library and launch.

This will reinstall without a reference to your downloaded books, so click on Library then go to the file menu and choose Import... Navigate to your library location - probably Documents/My Books/... select all the books you want referenced in your library and go from there.

Good luck.
trailmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Jan J
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaven View Post
I had an identical problem yesterday and spent an hour with sony support today to get it resolved. The good news is that it is resolved -- multiple steps, but done.

First, go to your <user>Library/Preferences/ and remove the folders called Sony Corporation; fsk; and Marlin

Then go to system preferences and choose language preferences. Choose US (computer) from the popup if US is the listed language -- why there is a difference is obscure, but apparently this is important to sony.

Then go to applications and delete the reader library app

reinstall reader library and launch.

This will reinstall without a reference to your downloaded books, so click on Library then go to the file menu and choose Import... Navigate to your library location - probably Documents/My Books/... select all the books you want referenced in your library and go from there.

Good luck.

THANK YOU! Yes I am shouting!!! That worked beautifully. I have printed out your instructions and will keep them in a safe place should this happen to me again. Wish I could give you loads and loads of Karma but giving you what the forum allows! You have absolutely MADE my day, month, year!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaven View Post
Or... go grab AppTrap. It is free. It just sits in the background and when you delete an app it offers to remove the application support files and preferences. Sometimes when an apps config info is messed up or you just want to start from scratch... drag the app to the trash... tell Apptrap to delete the support files when it prompts... then copy back to the app folder...

Although the sony reader app has an installer so I think it installs a kext and a deamon. I'm not sure if app trap will remove those.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Thanx PB... just grabbedit... looks very useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Or... go grab AppTrap. It is free. It just sits in the background and when you delete an app it offers to remove the application support files and preferences. Sometimes when an apps config info is messed up or you just want to start from scratch... drag the app to the trash... tell Apptrap to delete the support files when it prompts... then copy back to the app folder...

Although the sony reader app has an installer so I think it installs a kext and a deamon. I'm not sure if app trap will remove those.

BOb
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
/old thread bump

Thanks so much, Trailmaven, your instructions got me up an running again. Karma headed your way.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote