Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Please Recommend BEST Europe Hostel Guide

We love to travel, as some of you already know. Now that we are retired, we have time to do what we never had time to do before - just take off wandering with no schedule in mind.

We have been hearing a lot about "gap" travellers aged 30-60 and couples who are staying in hostels during their explorations. There are almost universally positive reports online, along with plenty of tips in choosing "gap-friendly" places to stay.

What PAPER or INTERNET hostel guide or listing do you recommend as being the most best comprehensivest guide?

And are there any EBOOK guides that you recommend?

THANKS!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure what you mean by "gap-friendly". Can you elaborate?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gap-Friendly: I've seen this describing hostels with private rooms which are desired by middle-aged couples, which they are calling the "gap" traveller. I suppose we bridge the gap between college kids and seniors?

Last edited by DixieGal; 02-22-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: i.e., meaning those of us too young to have gone to Woodstock, but old enough at the time to have wished we could have gone.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, that's a new term on me!

I'm afraid I can't help with your question - I find that my need for "stars" in a hotel has increased as I've got older .
Old 02-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you, that's a new term on me!

I'm afraid I can't help with your question - I find that my need for "stars" in a hotel has increased as I've got older .
I used to quote that also, but after we followed a Rick Steve's guide in Spain and stayed in a couple of his recommended hotel/hostels, we are thinking of doing it again. The rooms were bigger and cleaner than what we paid much more for at "regular" hotels, and we were welcomed by the owners, who seemed happy to rent a room to mature married couples.

I'm hoping to find a guidebook or something and see if this sort of pleasant experience can be common or if the Rick Steve's rooms were rare finds.

If it doesn't work out, we may end up knocking on your door and begging for a sofa for a few nights.
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you're visiting the UK or Ireland, what you want is a "B&B" - "Bed and Breakfast" guide. B&B's offer excellent value for money, and are much cheaper than hotels. There are lots of guides available.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're visiting the UK or Ireland, what you want is a "B&B" - "Bed and Breakfast" guide. B&B's offer excellent value for money, and are much cheaper than hotels. There are lots of guides available.
That's good to know! In the US, B&B's are usually as expensive or more so than hotels. The visitors feel that they are staying in someone's home and pay more for ambience.

With Tim and me, well, we only drop into our room late at night, sleep a couple of hours, and get up early for another long day of sightseeing. A roof that doesn't leak and en suite bathroom are our only requirements.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
We love to travel, as some of you already know. Now that we are retired, we have time to do what we never had time to do before - just take off wandering with no schedule in mind.

We have been hearing a lot about "gap" travellers aged 30-60 and couples who are staying in hostels during their explorations. There are almost universally positive reports online, along with plenty of tips in choosing "gap-friendly" places to stay.

What PAPER or INTERNET hostel guide or listing do you recommend as being the most best comprehensivest guide?

And are there any EBOOK guides that you recommend?

THANKS!
The Youth Hostel Association (don't let the name put you off - they cater for all ages of hostellers), is a national organisation of hostels (as distinct from Bed and Breakfast and Guest Houses) in the UK. You can find out more at: http://www.yha.org.uk/

They are also part of an international hostelling association - about which you can read more at:
http://www.hihostels.com/web/index.en.htm?linkid=980019&linksubid=hi

In the UK Youth Hostels tend to be cheap and very well run - don't know about international hostels but have heard nothing bad about them.

Happy travelling
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
hannibal
hannibal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I generally prefer to use the Lonely Planet guides (which I have to pay more for to receive in PDF format than I would for a paper copy - what's up with that??!), but I travel on my own and thus prefer a sociable place over other concerns like nice facilities.

You'd probably be best served by going to highly rated places according to hostelworld.com and the like. High ratings on there will generally mean it's couple friendly, new-ish facilities, etc., though not necessarily always the best place to meet others or imbibe.
hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
BY FAR the best resource I have used for traveling is tripadvisor.com. It was amazing to find cheap hotels on their that were rated very high, or other hotels that looked incredibly nice but ended up being terrible. I highly recommend using that. Just pick the location you want to go, and see what their top hotels are.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
BY FAR the best resource I have used for traveling is tripadvisor.com. It was amazing to find cheap hotels on their that were rated very high, or other hotels that looked incredibly nice but ended up being terrible. I highly recommend using that. Just pick the location you want to go, and see what their top hotels are.
I'd second that recommendation.

Tripadvisor also tends to have a lot of reviews from real people on there - personally, I do prefer to trust these (as long as there's enough to make it a representative sample).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
digitaldolf
digitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony touch PRS-600
I can recommend www.hostelworld.com/
You can finetune your search and only look for budget hotels and appartments and you can search on minimum rating and price as well. They do campsites, hostels and budget hotels all over the world. I've stayed in a number of budget hotels that I booked through hostelworld and often ended up in really nice places and sometimes really interesting places. Only once I stayed in a place that I didn't like very much.
digitaldolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldolf View Post
I can recommend www.hostelworld.com/
You can finetune your search and only look for budget hotels and appartments and you can search on minimum rating and price as well. They do campsites, hostels and budget hotels all over the world. I've stayed in a number of budget hotels that I booked through hostelworld and often ended up in really nice places and sometimes really interesting places. Only once I stayed in a place that I didn't like very much.

Perfect! I went there and found some good examples almost immediately. I had tried hostels.com and a few other places, but this one seems to have the most info.

And thank you all for the good advice! BTW, while we are at it, the absolutely worst travel advice we ever got twice out of three times using it was AARP. They make rooms in dangerous neighborhoods sound good. Beware!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh and let me toss in something else that is awesome. The AAA Visa travel money card. You never want to bring a debit card when traveling (too risky), but the travel card works the same with all the protection of a credit card. You can load it three times (for a $5 fee or something like that for non-members), and it works just like a debit card. I never had a problem with it. The greatest thing is when you get back you just keep using it until you run out
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote