Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Who's your favorite anti-hero?

So, I've been really enjoying the Sci-Fi/Fantasy threads lately, even if I haven't contributed, and they've got me thinking. The one thing that kind of bugs me about most most pulp Sci-Fi/Fantasy is the pristine holier than thou characters.

What I really like is reading about deeply flawed selfish bastards who get the lead role in spite of themselves.

So who's your favorite anti hero? Who would be the villain in any other book? Who drinks too much? Who only looks out for themselves? Who's just in it for the money? Hell, who's merely human?

Granted, in fiction even the dirtiest of anti-heros have a heart of gold. Who really breaks the hero mold? What book or series isn't afraid to kill characters off?

I nominate Joe Pitt. This series by Charlie Huston starts off as great classic noir that just happens to feature vampires. By the finale, which I'll try not to spoil, it's clear that while Joe has his own sense of honor, he's neither invulnerable nor particularly considerate of the rest of the world. The audiobook versions of the first two books are particularly good.

Last edited by KarateMonkey; 11-07-2009 at 06:44 PM.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thomas Covenant
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
So who's your favorite anti hero? Who would be the villain in any other book?
Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos, of course. An unrepentant gangster and assassin, deeply conflicted about his role in an alien society where he's a member of the oppressed Homo sapiens minority.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
Corum, Elric, Hawkmoon, the Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock.

Takeshi Lev Kovacs: Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan.

My favorite and most memorable at the moment are:
The Bloody Nine (Logan), and Glotka from Joe Abercrombies First Law Trilogy with Glotka being the standout. I also want to give a special mention to Monza Murcatto from Abercrombie's Best Served Cold.

Hmmmm and Death from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

I want to be your LatexSalesMan!!!
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by latexsalesman View Post
I can not tell you how many times I have almost picked this series up. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thomas Covenant
I have to agree.... in the 70's as I first discovered this series
the covenant character just resonated with me. (not sure what
this means) I just got the series from Ebay in paperback because
I have not visited my tortured old friend in too long.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Corum, Elric, Hawkmoon, the Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock.

My favorite and most memorable at the moment are:
The Bloody Nine (Logan), and Glotka from Joe Abercrombies First Law Trilogy with Glotka being the standout. I also want to give a special mention to Monza Murcatto from Abercrombie's Best Served Cold.

I want to be your LatexSalesMan!!!

I AGREE WITH YOU - DEATH IS THE MAN!!
Err... not shouting - Discworld readers will understand my font.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
My guv'nor... Jerry Cornelius. (Michael Moorcock)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Sam Spade
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Or perhaps Skink from Carl Hiaasen..... I just love that character....
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
I forgot one of my oldie favorites is Roland Deschain, The Gunslinger, from the Dark Tower series by stephen King.
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodad66 View Post
I have to agree.... in the 70's as I first discovered this series
the covenant character just resonated with me. (not sure what
this means) I just got the series from Ebay in paperback because
I have not visited my tortured old friend in too long.

I wish they were available in ebook.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Raskolnikov, in Dostoyesvsky's Crime and Punishment.

He thinks that he's a Nietzschean superman, then realises that he's not.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
I can not tell you how many times I have almost picked this series up. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.
I agree with latexsalesman, Takeshi Kovacs is a great anti-hero. I recommend the series whole-heartedly, KarateMonkey!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
You missed an (IMHO) even better antihero from the Discworld books:

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Havelock_Vetinari
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote