Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
All conversions end with error

Everything I have tried to convert (format does not seem to matter) ends with a dialogue box telling me it errored. The log files all have as the last line something like

EPUB output written to /tmp/calibre_0.6.6_tuhAzF_recipe_out.epub

which certainly does not look like a problem. By coping that file to my home directory and reading it with fbreader or calibre or on an ebook, I see that everything looks good. So what's the deal with the error?

EDIT: Forgot to mention version 0.6.5 and 0.6.6

Last edited by hyegeek; 08-13-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What's the error message you get and what version of calibre are you using, on what operating system
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What's the error message you get and what version of calibre are you using, on what operating system
Everything I know (except OS, linux Gentoo) was in my post (at least once I edited it) . No error, just a dialogue box saying it errored with the last line in the log implying everything is fine.

This happens under both 0.6.5 and 0.6.6.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The dialog box does not have a show details button?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
hyegeek
Groupie

Not a working one. Pressing that just changes to hide details and nothing shows up.
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's really weird. Run it froma terminal and see if you get any output in the terminal
Old 08-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
hyegeek
Groupie

I do run it from the terminal. Pretty much all I see on the terminal is

link hasn't been detected!

Another bit of information, I don't run a desktop environment, just fvwm. Calibre seems very unfriendly in this environment. The lack of quit option and useful errors might be related to this.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I run calibre in a custom tiling window manager, fvwm should be no problem. Something else on your system is causing this. You can quit by pressing Ctrl+Q
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
hyegeek
Groupie

Seems that Ctrl-Q does the same thing as the close button on from the window, both cause python to segfault. I have this happening on two different machines. One 32 bit one 64 bit.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, in that case it likely is some interaction between Qt and fvwm.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
hyegeek
Groupie

I'll buy that. What version should I be using? Any suggestions for working around/debugging the issue?

I have QT versions 4.5.1 and 3.3.8b-r1 on my system along with PyQt4-4.5.4-r1
Old 08-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
hyegeek
Groupie

I've just tried again on my 32 bit machine. I got the log when I said show details. I might have confused the lack of response on the button to what happens when I click show job details from the jobs menu. That does not do anything.

Either way, there is no indication of errors and ends with

EPUB output written to /tmp/calibre_0.6.6_F27OL1.epub

Do you want me to post the entire log?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Your Qt versions are adequate. Posting the log wont help. As far as I can tell the error occurs after the conversion finishes correctly in the thread that is trying to add the book to the database and notify the GUI of it. The first thing to try is install openbox on your system and see if the problem ges away with that, so we at least know where its coming from
Old 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
hyegeek
Groupie

I tried it under openbox and under fxce (with compiz for the windows manager). No difference.

However, I did notice one line in the log that might mean something. Toward the top of the log it says

Manifest item 'toc.ncx' not found

Right after it says parsing all content.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The conversion happens ia separate process. Once the conversion finishes, the main process (the GUI) is notified. The log you're quoting is the log of what happens in the separate process. As far as I can tell from the symptoms you're describing the error happens during the notification of the GUI stage.