Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Parastie
Parastie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (hopefully)
What's the difference...?

What's the difference between the V1, V2 and book edition of the iLiad? I'm considering getting one for reading medical books and because of it's annotation feature. I'm also considering the prs-700 since it is much cheaper and i believe its notes feature will be adequate.

The V1 used is about the price of the 700. Is it worth it? What's really the difference between the models?
Parastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The main difference from the v1 to the v2 is a larger battery (v2 = 15 hours and v1 = 12 hours) and a slightly different case design to provide better support for the screen.

The main difference between the v2 and the book edition is that the BE does not have wireless and is a different color (silver).

Other than that, they're basically all the same. Same hardware and they run the same software (except the BE doesn't have wireless software support).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Parastie
Parastie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (hopefully)
And they all have the same wacom touch screen? It's the annotations that I'm interested in. Maybe the book edition would be the better option if I can afford it that is.
Parastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The newest V2s and BEs have a Vizplex screen. Older V2s (and BEs?) and the V1 had a 1st generation screen. There is little difference in routine use, although the 1st generation screen can get washed out by direct sunlight during page refresh. The Wacom is the same on all of them.

The iLiads take notes by scribbling and the PRS-700 via a virtual keyboard. There have been reports of a Sony due out this year with a 9.7" screen (like that on the Kindle DX), see Sony with larger-screen e-reader this year, no color before 2010.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parastie View Post
And they all have the same wacom touch screen? It's the annotations that I'm interested in. Maybe the book edition would be the better option if I can afford it that is.
Same touch screen on all of them.
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The newest V2s and BEs have a Vizplex screen. Older V2s (and BEs?) and the V1 had a 1st generation screen.
iRex says that it doesn't make a noticeable difference, so I didn't mention it. IMO, it doesn't really effect the end users much.

Quote:
although the 1st generation screen can get washed out by direct sunlight during page refresh.
I've never seen anything official from EInk or any device manufacturers that confirms that vizplex solves that issue. All I've ever seen claiming that vizplex fixes the sunlight problem is speculation from users, none of the manufacturers say anything about it. I've never even seen anything official that explains why sunlight causes the problem.

Do you have any links to information confirming that?