Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 12:31 PM   #1
alexstacey
alexstacey began at the beginning.

Device: i{ad Mini 6, Pocketbook InkPad Color 3, Kobo Elipsa 2E
Pocketbook dictionary from Kobo

I am awaiting a new Pocketbook InkPad Color 3 but I want to convert my Kobo Clara 2E dictionary to the Pocketbook format as the generic English dictionary is from 1913 which seems way out of date. Is it possible?
I've looked on this forum for any help but just ended more confused than enlightened. Any help/fuidance would be greatly appreciated/
alexstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:02 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I think you're out of luck. Most of the Kobo default dictionaries are encrypted so, even if a Kobo --> PB conversion utility exists, it won't work without first removing the encryption.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2024, 01:25 PM   #3
alexstacey

Thanks for the somewhat disappointing reply (for me). Is there any decent English dictionary which I could get for the device? I don't mind paying for it if it's a decent one like Chambers or Oxford (which is what Kobo uses).
Old 01-04-2024, 01:38 AM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
This dictionary (Webster 1913) is already available for Pockebooks. Have a look at this thread, it should be there:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=dictionary
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:57 AM   #5
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
AIUI the OP isn't satisfied with Webster's 1913, and wants something less than 120 years out of date :-)

I think there's a deep rabbit hole the OP could go down trying to convert other (non-encrypted) dictionaries for the Pocketbook.
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2024, 07:19 AM   #6
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Ronnie Steiner's wikitionary+webster https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=190769
It was mentioned some time ago by rkomar in another dictionary thread.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:48 AM   #7
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
AIUI the OP isn't satisfied with Webster's 1913, and wants something less than 120 years out of date :-)
No just one with subcomplex communication skills.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=242
Old 01-05-2024, 01:51 PM   #8
alexstacey

nhedgehog wrote -
No just one with subcomplex communication skills.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=242

I don't understand your point. Is it an insult or a justified comment? I am just trying to get a decent, up-to-date English dictionary for my ereader. If you can't help or feel the need to be a bully then please don't add to this thread.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:25 PM   #9
nhedgehog
Guru

Oh its just that a simple:
Thanks, that was what I was looking for but I can't download it since .... would probably got you the dictionary by now.

I'm out though.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:33 PM   #10
alexstacey

To nhedgehig I am still confused at what you want thanks for. The dictionary you pointed me to is the one that is the default dictionary in the Pocketbook reader. I am looking for a newer, more modern and comprehensive one than that.
Obviously we have got our wires crossed among the posts and for that I apologise to you. I'm not trying to start a feud or anything. I just want to read books on my new Color reader and be able to look up definitions of words with the same comprehensiveness(?) as on my Kobo.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:47 AM   #11
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstacey View Post
I am looking for a newer, more modern and comprehensive one than that.
The best bet then would be to use the thread linked by @EastEriq as it contains a downloadable file and not a reference to some permanently (?) inaccessible download service.
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:11 AM   #12
nhedgehog
Guru

To understand you right, you are looking for an English-English Thesaurus of newer date.
The problem is that Pocketbook stopped selling them years ago due to probably some partnership problems. Some are still circulating, other sources have opened too. The best source I'm aware is the one I allready gave a link. I'm on a tight schedule today but will look at it the next days to see, what has been "harvested". Best you pm me with a working mail.
There was a thread about wiktionary on Pocketbooks that might be helpful too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=337161
If you consider installing KoReader (it is only working on books without hard drm), there might be other sources too (Stardict dictionaries).
Old 01-06-2024, 06:58 AM   #13
nhedgehog
Guru

Stardict files usable in KoReader that might be interesting for you are named:
stardict-collins5-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-oald-2.4.2.tar.bz2

Since sources are grey you have to google them.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:46 AM   #14
alexstacey

Thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice. I have downloaded and installed Ronnie Steiner's wikitionary+webster as siggested by EastEriq.
I will still keep an eye out for versions of the Oxford or Chambers if they ever become available in .dic formats.
I will also keep trying to access the pCloud and hope that one day I will not have to pay for a premium account to get into their files.
Thanks everyone
Old 01-06-2024, 01:53 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
To understand you right, you are looking for an English-English Thesaurus of newer date.
The problem is that Pocketbook stopped selling them years ago due to probably some partnership problems.
That is too bad. It was nice to be able to get dictionaries that were ready-made for the pocketbook devices, rather than go through the hassle of trying to convert them yourself. I bought the Collins Polish-English dictionary and it was reasonably good (although it did not look like it took advantage of the morpheme handling).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote