Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-01-2024, 09:32 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Changing reader default properties

I've looked at the 'sticky' FAQ and tips but they do not seem to be very current, perhaps the information is there somewhere but I've been unable to find it.

I would like to:
  • change default alignment for paragraphs to 'left'
  • adjust line spacing a bit

Looking in /System/reader folder I see files as in the attached image.

Is it possible to edit these and achieve the results I'm looking for? Is there a 'cookbook' of things one can do there (or with other .cfg files elsewhere)?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 6.29.47 PM.png
Views:	73
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	205527  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 11:28 PM   #2
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
I don't know about changing the default properties, but why not simply install KOReader? It has all these settings and more.
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 03:24 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I agree, it'd be nice to see a proper explanation of what can be tweaked in these files. Put it in the wiki if possible, so we don't have to hunt through random forum postings?

As an aside, the wiki is really out of date...
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:26 AM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaenor View Post
I don't know about changing the default properties, but why not simply install KOReader? It has all these settings and more.
Because some (most?) people want to use the built-in app?
Old 01-02-2024, 05:59 AM   #5
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Because some (most?) people want to use the built-in app?
I posted the suggestion about KOReader because I see a lot of people not being aware of it. If tomsem is one such person, then they will be able to make a choice for themselves.

But honestly, why would you want to use the built-in app? It's worse in every respect than any of the popular reading programs, be it Cool Reader, KOReader, Moon Reader or whatever your heart desires. The only reason I can think of is that the user is not aware of other reading apps.
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 08:43 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
There is no cookbook I'm aware of but a thread in a German forum regarding those changes:
https://www.e-reader-forum.de/t/aend...ateien.146613/
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:02 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
But honestly, why would you want to use the built-in app? It's worse in every respect than any of the popular reading programs, be it Cool Reader, KOReader, Moon Reader or whatever your heart desires. The only reason I can think of is that the user is not aware of other reading apps.
There are actually quite a few of us who don't particularly like either KOReader or Android reading apps. I know it's shocking.

Personally I dislike KOReader because its UI is based on a filesystem and it has no library management features. Plus it's very slow with large books, especially multi-volume omnibuses, of which I have quite a lot. And no, I don't want to split them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:18 AM   #8
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
But honestly, why would you want to use the built-in app?
Speaking for myself, I don't buy an ereader as a piece of hardware to install software on, I buy an ereader holistically as a device that I can read books on OOTB. I do enough screwing around with software for work!

The last time I looked, koreader was either difficult to build/run on a Mac, not installable on an Android without disabling things I didn't want to disable, and also looked really ugly - maybe that was just the file system browsing ui, I honestly can't recall.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:37 AM   #9
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
There is no cookbook I'm aware of but a thread in a German forum regarding those changes:
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2024, 12:13 PM   #10
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome, but ... investing some time in KoReader is worth the effort on Pocketbooks
Old 01-02-2024, 04:07 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would like to:
  • adjust line spacing a bit
Looking in /System/reader folder I see files as in the attached image.
As far as I can tell you can only choose from 3 different values for line spacing (single, one-and-a-half, double) from the reading>settings panel. However, you can change the values in system/reader/linespacing.cfg to customise what those 3 values should be.

This is what I have in mine:
Spoiler:
Code:
single=112%
one_and_half=116%
double=120%

single-pager=112%
one_and_half-pager=116%
double-pager=120%

single-panel=112%
one_and_half-panel=116%
double-panel=120%

single-pager-panel=112%
one_and_half-pager-panel=116%
double-pager-panel=120%

Your choice of font will probably have some bearing on which 3 values will be "best" for you.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:25 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
But honestly, why would you want to use the built-in app?
KOReader isn't an option for anyone who wants to use their e-ink PocketBook's text-to-speech feature.

I do like using KOReader on my Android smartphone.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:27 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have KOReader on my Era, and I really do not like it at all. I am a keep things simple person, I hate having metaphorical tons of options and features that I will never use, much less understand. I'm not sure why I keep it on there. I thought maybe I saw that sort of UI makeover was in the works? Maybe that is why.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-02-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:30 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Although does not address whether text alignment can be changed (e.g. with fb2.css modification?).

Last edited by tomsem; 01-02-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:28 AM   #15
nhedgehog
Guru

fb2.css = format options for fb2 file format.

I would rather try the html.css, since epubs are mostly zipped html files. Not tested though.