Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-26-2023, 09:13 AM   #1
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Change behaviour of power-on button on Era?

Hi, everyone.

To switch on a Pocketbook Era, I have to hold down the power-on button for 3-4 seconds. Is there a way to change this behaviour so that instead of holding down the button, I could just quickly press and release it like normal?

I have not found the way to do it from the menu, but perhaps there is a config file that I can modify or some other workaround.

Thanks!
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:26 AM   #2
Xaenor
Enthusiast

Is something like this even theoretically possible or should I give up hope?
Advert
Old 12-29-2023, 06:06 AM   #3
HvdB
Enthusiast
HvdB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaenor View Post
To switch on a Pocketbook Era, I have to hold down the power-on button for 3-4 seconds. Is there a way to change this behaviour so that instead of holding down the button, I could just quickly press and release it like normal?
I have not found the way to do it from the menu, but perhaps there is a config file that I can modify or some other workaround.
You can use the sleep-mode. That's a short press, or just opening the sleep mode case or flipcover. You can change times in the settings. I seldom use power- off, but I tried that and the Era started rather quickly and opened on the page where I stopped reading. That can also be arranged in the settings.

Last edited by HvdB; 12-29-2023 at 06:08 AM.
HvdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 06:08 AM   #4
HvdB
Enthusiast
HvdB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaenor View Post
You can use the sleep-mode. That's a short press, or just opening the sleep mode case or flipcover. You can change times in the settings. I seldom use power- off, but I tried that and the Era started rather quickly and opened on the page where I stopped reading. That can also be arranged in the settings. 🙂
HvdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
Xaenor
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I was using the sleep mode, but it doesn't work as well for me - I only read for 1-2 hours a day at specific times, and powering off saves a LOT of battery compared to just sleeping. The time between recharges went from several weeks to several months - it's a massive difference.

The problem with powering off and on is that it takes Era like 5 seconds to switch on (very fast), but it also takes me holding down that damn button for another 5 seconds (very slow), which essentially doubles the time that the reader takes to switch on, for no good reason.
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 01:42 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
There is an entry in the settings, that allows you to show the last page during the bootup procedure. This will give you 3s back
Reprograming the button could be possible if you spent days or weeks on patching the firmware und have the skills to do that.
Don't know if this helps with your tight schedule.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:09 AM   #7
Xaenor
Enthusiast

I have the setting turned on, but yeah - it's a little different from what I want. I thought there might be an easily changeable setting in one of the system files, but it seems not. The Pocketbook support also answered negatively, although mentioned that they will add this to their list of suggestions (which I guess is their polite way of saying "Shove off!").

Quote:
Don't know if this helps with your tight schedule.
Just think about all these 5 s intervals adding up over your lifetime

But nah, it's not about the schedule - it's just a psychological block for me. I love keeping the ereader off as it saves a ton of battery charge, but it also makes me less likely to pick it up for short reading sessions (like in a bus, or when waiting in a queue, or when cooking something and waiting while the oven pre-heats), because every added second feels like it's an added "weight" towards your decision to turn the device on.

Like, if it only takes 5 seconds to turn on, then it's less bad, but if this time is doubled, then maybe I should wait for an opportunity for a longer reading session instead.

I don't know if it makes sense to anyone except my miserable mind, but it's been a problem for me with every reader I ever owned. Pocketbooks are the best so far in terms of quickly powering up, but that long button press just doesn't sit well with me.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:30 AM   #8
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
As someone wrote above, from the new version of the firmware it is possible to specify the functions of the buttons from the menu (without the need to edit the configuration file). I have a setting on my reader: "2x press the MENU button = sleep", and I have the timer off set to 24 o'clock.

- 2x touch MENU : Sleep / Sleep
Spoiler:

- Power Off : 24 Heures
Spoiler:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOCK.png
Views:	167
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	205571   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLEEP.png
Views:	166
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	205572  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 01-04-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote