Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
How to get a better dictionary for my Verse

I keep getting no answers when I press words in the text I read. So far, the last 4 words I selected were not available in my dictionary. My PB Verse dictionary will answer not found. Now I can press some 'simple' words and phrases that will render definitions, but not all the time. My last reader, a Kindle, (it broke) had a very good dictionary. Always provided good definitions. I enjoyed using the dictionary even, and would press a word even when I thought I knew all I needed. Not the case here.

Can we download and install an updated dictionary?
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:42 AM   #2
nraudigy2
nraudigy2 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Kindle 11th gen, Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen
I have same question. I am sure many are looking for better dictionary also. Doesn't seem like an easy process.
nraudigy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2023, 07:56 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nraudigy2 View Post
I have same question. I am sure many are looking for better dictionary also. Doesn't seem like an easy process.
Are you looking for an English dictionary? You used to be able to buy the Oxford English Dictionary from PocketBook (or at one of its old names, Obreey or Bookland). I have it on my original PocketBook Basic Lux. Unfortunately it's no longer available — at least I can't find it. On the HD 3 I use a Webster's Universal dictionary that I found somewhere (I spent about an hour trying to figure out where). It's pretty good and complete. I also found an Oxford Dictionary here on the MobileRead forums (which is what the Sony used — and Kindle still uses, and Kobo now uses) but it's too big and VERY slow on my HD 3. So I use the Websters.

I can probably put it up somewhere for download it if either of you are interested. It's about 35 MBs.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-21-2023 at 08:39 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 05:20 PM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Thats quite a funny problem description. Missing the languages (from-to) completely.
Nicely done!
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:44 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
Here's the site I found in the past. Lots of PocketBook dictionaries. I think it goes down near the end of the month because of excess traffic (comes back at the beginning of the month). I think that's why I didn't find it the last time I looked.

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...1AWB2RAb2Gmg3X
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert