Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-19-2023, 06:17 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
NaNoWriMo Temporarily Closes Forums

Apparently, they're having some issues. I no longer even look at the forums, because they're too difficult to locate. (For me, it's a waste of time anyway, so I need to unsubscribe. Some writers enjoy it, and I'm thrilled for them.)

Anyway, here's a partial quote:

The issues brought to our attention include:

Inconsistent moderation and lack of attention to resolving complaints

Concerns about the safety of minors (one volunteer moderator accused of grooming was complained about for not being removed from the forums in a timely fashion)

Dynamics between moderators and community members; concerns about inclusiveness and staff conflicts of interest.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-19-2023 at 06:20 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #2
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
That was a cluster.

If you are still on Twitter ... I mean Xitter (pronounced as you might guess) ... there a some megathreads about this. Here is one possible starting point.

Of course, I don't know how accurate the claims are. I'm scared that they are accurate.

The NaNoWriMo board sent out an e-mail and posted their official statement here.

They are claiming "We are aware that a great deal of misinformation and innuendo on the matter is circulating" and "The vast majority of complaints sent to the Board have not been verified, including claims about child grooming."

OK. We'll see.

Last edited by Critteranne; 11-19-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2023, 01:35 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
That was a cluster.

If you are still on Twitter ... I mean Zitter ... there a some megathreads about this. Here is one possible starting point.

Of course, I don't know how accurate the claims are. I'm scared that they are accurate.

The NaNoWriMo board sent out an e-mail and posted their official statement here.

They are claiming "We are aware that a great deal of misinformation and innuendo on the matter is circulating" and "The vast majority of complaints sent to the Board have not been verified, including claims about child grooming."

OK. We'll see.
X, not Twitter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:20 PM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
X, not Twitter.
I don't like calling it X. That's why I meant to call it Xitter.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
"It's dead I tell you!"

– It wasn't when we sold it to you.

(Perhaps the blue bird is pining for the Fjords?).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 08:08 AM   #6
Critteranne
Guru

And I found an article…
https://www.ravenoak.net/the-fall-of-nanowrimo/
Old 12-02-2023, 10:26 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I don't like calling it X. That's why I meant to call it Xitter.
Well it is going down the drain from what I've heard. Haven't logged in there in months. Don't see the need to be interacting with such hate, etc. as I have heard is now rampant there.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #8
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
There are some VERY troubling allegations floating around about this. Not the least that users made reports to the FBI about the possible abuse going on.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 11:39 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Wow, pretty dramatic stuff. I hadn't heard about it despite being on Twitter often - but I don't take part in NaNoWriMo - I see people take part in it but never paid much attention, and this is the first year I'm seeing something negative
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote