Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-17-2023, 04:44 PM   #46
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that Goodreads is owned by Amazon, we could have a Verified Purchase like to do on the main site. That would be any flavor of the book. And also, given that Amazon in the US files library loans, a Verified Library Loan can also be added. It won't stop bogus reviews, but it might help some
Sorry, but this is a dumb request. I don't purchase my books at Amazon and I don't get loan books for Kindle, so Amazon cannot mark anything for me, even if my books are legit.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:44 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I won't read Marion Zimmer Bradley.
Nor do I. Supporting her husband's sexual abuse of children made her books unreadable for me.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2023, 04:45 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Correct, it's for early buzz - when I used to do ARCs on Netgalley, some publishers wanted reviews whenever you read the book, some asked for reviews to be held if possible closer to publication date.

If ARCs don't result in publicity or reviews, there's no point in them for author or publisher to release.

I never had an issue with GR and ARC policy --- people bring that up to argue on ratings books not released yet -- Goodreads always responds people can use star ratings how they want, but while I see their point, we get messes like this easier. Not sure what the solution is as the system works for the greater good/enjoyment of the readers and sometimes authors half of the time.
Goodreads needs to come up with a way for you to prove you have read the ARC legally and are then allowed to post a review.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:51 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Which proves nothing except that someone was willing to say s/he'd read the book.

Years after release, early reviews and biased ratings will long have ceased to matter unless there were only early reviews, which tells the story in itself.

No matter how you try to micromanage the system at Goodreads, it's never going to work the way you want it to. It can't, even if GR had the motivation. So you can either live with its perceived flaws or go back to maintaining private lists of books and only reading reviews from the legitimate press and taking recommendations from trusted personal sources. And in fact, GR is very good at the latter.
But how long does it take for any rubbish ratings to no longer matter? The reviews you can figure out they are rubbish when you go to read them.

Lets say I give a new book a month. Is that enough time? I cannot say. I know when real ratings start to come in, unless they are replacing the rubbish ones, they won't matter until enough ratings come in and enough rubbish ones get replaced with real ones
Old 12-17-2023, 04:52 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It probably can't be fixed.
I agree that it cannot 100% be fixed. But the effects of this rubbish can be lessened some.
Advert
Old 12-17-2023, 04:55 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Sorry, but this is a dumb request. I don't purchase my books at Amazon and I don't get loan books for Kindle, so Amazon cannot mark anything for me, even if my books are legit.
I know not everyone gets books from Amazon, Audible, or Kindle eBooks from Overdrive. But something has to be done.
Old 12-17-2023, 04:56 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Nor do I. Supporting her husband's sexual abuse of children made her books unreadable for me.
Supposedly MZB molested her daughter. I do agree about her husband.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:51 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Supposedly MZB molested her daughter. I do agree about her husband.
I'm not certain if MZB physically molested her daughter or simply turned a blind eye to Walter Breen's actions. Not that it matters much to me since that made her complicit in his activities and the daughter should have been able to depend on her parent to protect her from predators.

Since MZB had passed away 15 years before her daughter went public, I doubt we will ever know the full truth.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:51 AM   #54
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I know some people like to read about an ARC. But unless there is a way to prove you are an approved ARC reader, forget them. My opinion is to not allow anyone to post comments or a rating until 3 days after release and you have to have put in that you've read the book.
Hey, I've got an idea: how about you just don't read reviews that were posted prior to 3 days after release?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 02:35 AM   #55
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Hey, I've got an idea: how about you just don't read reviews that were posted prior to 3 days after release?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Goodreads needs to come up with a way for you to prove you have read the ARC legally and are then allowed to post a review.
There is no point in saying Goodreads "needs" to do something that is flatly impossible.

Quote:
But something has to be done.
Isn't this just a scootch overwrought?

As an aside, I'm quite surprised that you advocate "solutions" that would only enhance Amazon's dominance. Is it really a good idea to give a priority to content purchased from Amazon? So much for the small bookseller, Kobo and so forth.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #57
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I think the bottom line is that "fixing" the ARC/early/fake reviews in any real way would make any book site more intrusive. I will not give up my privacy just to ensure that the reviews that I almost never read are legitimate.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:17 PM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Or don't read them at all from Goodreads?

As do other non-commercial actual forums dedicated to books.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:17 PM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or don't read them at all from Goodreads?
Why would I ignore the reviews of people whose tastes and/or inclinations I've become familiar with over the years? Even without knowing that info, I manage to glean value from anonymous Goodreads reviews/ratings. Sure, the useful ones don't magically fall from heaven to perch in front of my eyes or anything--but then again, I don't expect them to. **shrug**
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 02:09 PM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why would I ignore the reviews of people whose tastes and/or inclinations I've become familiar with over the years?
That would be mad. But I was addressing Jon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote