Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2023, 08:17 PM   #16
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Who even pays attention to these silly Awards??
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:21 AM   #17
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
A lot of writers do. So do fans because the fans of popular writers often drive up the votes.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #18
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
A lot of writers do. So do fans because the fans of popular writers often drive up the votes.

The popular vote is not always the best vote.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:58 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
A lot of people looking to try a new genre will start with award winners, so Goodreads having their own awards makes sense. It's just that the nature of Goodreads makes their rewards less reliable than awards given by professionals or genre fans.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:50 AM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Goodreads never changes their minds during awards season when they anger people. I've seen it for various things over the years. I do disagree with them removing categories because they added one. What a shame. It's not like there is limited Internet room, and I do agree with the people who appreciated not only the Kids and Middle age categories every year, but the Poetry and Graphic Novels. Graphics novels especially was a surprise for me as I know that amongst my GR reviewing friends, they're pretty popular.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2023, 11:57 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Is Goodreads broken?
https://www.themarysue.com/cait-corr...rsy-explained/
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 01:10 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You may also want to check the Cait Corrain item on NNC News: A first-time author lost a book deal after she was accused of trying to sabotage reviews of other authors.

Also this item from the Ilona Andrews: A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats

Is GoodReads broken? The answer is yes and Amazon who own GoodReads seem to have little to no interest in fixing the problem.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-12-2023 at 01:12 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 04:43 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You may also want to check the Cait Corrain item on NNC News: A first-time author lost a book deal after she was accused of trying to sabotage reviews of other authors.

Also this item from the Ilona Andrews: A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats

Is GoodReads broken? The answer is yes and Amazon who own GoodReads seem to have little to no interest in fixing the problem.
I did and it's depressing. While "Cait Corrain" obviously has a problem (and confessed), Goodreads makes this behaviour too easy.
Quote:
For example, Goodreads could stop allowing people to review books that haven’t come out.
Yes.
Quote:
Open the books for review once ARC (advance reader copies) are sent out.
Allow people to register as ARC reviewers. Give them a badge or something by their name to further highlight legitimate reviews.
Not quite. ARC reviewers reviews should be embargoed till a book is released. And it should be 100% clear if a review is not from a random retail purchaser, if if it's a confirmed purchase. I do think all ARC reviews are more appropriately private to the publisher before print run and never public or else the temptation is to have it as dishonest marketing.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 04:57 AM   #24
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm going to be the weird woman here, but I LIKE reading reviews about ARCs, I have no problem with reviews, I'm able to read comments and see if it's a real comment or a fan thing. I don't go to goodreads for the curated edition about books that I would get in a newspaper, I go to see what people think about a book, and I don't expect the same accuracy in ratings that I would expect in a physic work.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:58 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've always said the reviews should not be allowed before the book is published. Also, I think no reviews should be allowed for an ARC unless the book is said to have been read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:09 AM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm going to be the weird woman here, but I LIKE reading reviews about ARCs.

Even reviews for ARCs that have not actually been released, at all? The recent brouhaha saw comments from authors and editors complaining about reviews for books that were literally not available to anyone, yet had reviews on GR.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:22 AM   #27
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Even reviews for ARCs that have not actually been released, at all? The recent brouhaha saw comments from authors and editors complaining about reviews for books that were literally not available to anyone, yet had reviews on GR.
I prefer to skip some fan comments that the tight restrictions promoted here. And this is not the first problem like this, only the first problem to reach the news, so nothing new.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:29 AM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have no problems with reviews of ARCs that have been posted by the reader. I would hope that they noted that the review was for an ARC.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 12-13-2023 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Add clarification.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:22 AM   #29
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm going to be the weird woman here, but I LIKE reading reviews about ARCs, I have no problem with reviews, I'm able to read comments and see if it's a real comment or a fan thing. I don't go to goodreads for the curated edition about books that I would get in a newspaper, I go to see what people think about a book, and I don't expect the same accuracy in ratings that I would expect in a physic work.
I like reading reviews of ARCs, too. That's the whole reason authors and publishers send the ARCs to bloggers, professional reviewers, fans, etc. They want them to put up reviews so people get excited about the book before it comes out.

Publishers Weekly publishes reviews months ahead of time. For example, this week's issue includes March 2024 books. This is done so that booksellers, librarians, etc. have an idea of which books they might want to order for upcoming months. But of course, most people don't have access to that magazine. And PW doesn't review everything.

I like having reviews available before the books come out so I can decide which books look more interesting to me. But there's a difference between a review from a legitimate book blogger and someone named I. M. Sneaky who one-stars books and says nothing.

Authors and publishers like having the reviews out there.

Amazon/Goodreads should be able to tell the difference between legit reviews and flagrant abuse. But maybe that would take more money from Ebeneezer Amazon.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:33 AM   #30
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
*drags thread back to original topic*

I think the whole point here is that Goodreads, rather than wade into actually defending authors and reader's rights, has chosen to remove the awards altogether since many of the titles are subject to challenges and ban attempts by certain groups.

This hurts burgeoning authors who can get big boosts from these silly awards.

It is sad, but wholly unsurprising, that Goodreads is taking this position. They, as a subsidiary of Amazon, might make more money off of book sales of those titles had they kept the awards. But I imagine no more than a few small drops in a large bucket.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote