Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2023, 10:15 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
BookWyrm Social Reading

Anyone using https://joinbookwyrm.com/?

Personally I'm not interested in my "reading" being tracked or shared, but there may be other aspects of value.

Mastodon seems better than Facebook or Twitter and can't be bought out. Though an individual server instance or Bookwyrm could be?

Watch out for those high speed .303 book worms.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 03:28 PM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Never heard of it

As much as I have enjoyed Goodreads for around 15 years now, I don't have interest in joining a second social media type of reader website
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2023, 07:28 AM   #3
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
I've also never heard of this site.

This does make me think of a question though. Has anybody found a site that does a good job of replicating FictFact? I really miss that site!
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:25 AM   #4
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I have tried it several times and abandoned it several times. Even though I like the idea of having an open source social media platform for reading, I found that many books weren't as of then available and I had to add all the information by hand. It was just too tedious for me to keep up with it.

In the end, it was a worse storygraph in my experience. Your mileage may vary on the hosted instance and the book languages.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:13 PM   #5
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
That's going to be the problem on any community built platform. Someone has to take the initiative to enter the data or find a reliable source that it can be imported from. It's the classic chicken vs egg problem.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2023, 04:19 AM   #6
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I have zero desire to join any social site or book discussion site. Unless it's people I know well, I'm not a sociable person, and my opinion of a book is unlikely to coincide with somebody else's. I also have odd reading tastes for my demographic: Amazon keeps pushing chick lit and YA fantasy at me; I despise the former, and with rare exceptions I find the latter puerile.

I post reviews on my LibraryThing account and on The Tavern. Netgalley titles get posted there as well. That's it for me.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 03:30 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I have Goodreads but considering dropping it, now that I have achieved what I joined for ( to get reading again)…
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 04:05 AM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
In the end, it was a worse storygraph in my experience. Your mileage may vary on the hosted instance and the book languages.
I don't use any of the Storygraph's social features, other posting some reviews to Mastodon, but when I first joined Mastodon a year ago, I copped plenty of flak from very aggressively self-righteous Bookwyrm users for daring to prefer a privately owned service that better met my needs than Bookwyrm
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #9
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I created a new Bookwyrm account yesterday on their flagship instance. The problems I had a few months ago are still present:
  • Existing book data is not properly maintained (though everyone can contribute so I simply updated them)
  • Linking books to have multple editions is only possible if they share a common ISBN. No arbritary linking is currently possible.
  • Authors often exists multiple times without an option to link them.
  • Though there is a reading goal section and the service very much revolves around that, there are no fancy statistics about overall progress, genre preferences etc.

What is great though is that you can just follow someone from your Mastodon accounts and get all of the user's updates and reviews in your timeline.

Overall, it is a lot of work if you want to use it in a satisfactory way. However, if you put in the effort, you may actually have cleaner data in your reading history that goodreads or storygraph allows for.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:30 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If the ISBN is the same, then they are the same editions, just different print runs. A real different edition is any revision to content, formatting or size.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 03:33 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't care or want the social stuff, StoryGraph is a great place to go.

https://app.thestorygraph.com
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 04:58 AM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Overall, it is a lot of work if you want to use it in a satisfactory way. However, if you put in the effort, you may actually have cleaner data in your reading history that goodreads or storygraph allows for.
As someone who has entered >500 books manually into Storygraph, the idea of doing it all over again on another site gives me the screaming heebie jeebies. Having that experience though does make me curious - how is the data Bookwyrm allows "cleaner"? Entering my exact editions into Storygraph has been and remains the one major pain point of the experience, but in the end, when I persist, I always get the exact edition - same ISBN,, same cover, same publisher, same publication date. The process is tedious and often requires intervention from either one of their volunteer librarians or the paid support staffer, so I often don't bother and just pick an edition that's "close enough" But when I do bother, everything matches. How does Bookwyrm exceed that level of detail?
Old 11-05-2023, 05:44 AM   #13
rantanplan
Guru

Bookwyrm is entirely community driven and I haven’t found any situation where I needed mod support. The downside to that is that they are more vulnerable to vandalism.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:56 AM   #14
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Bookwyrm is entirely community driven and I haven’t found any situation where I needed mod support. The downside to that is that they are more vulnerable to vandalism.

Indeed. I am still curious to know what you meant by "cleaner data" - it's an interesting choice of adjective
Old 11-05-2023, 09:33 AM   #15
rantanplan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Indeed. I am still curious to know what you meant by "cleaner data" - it's an interesting choice of adjective
I can make sure that everything in the book profile is correct. If there is an error, I can just update it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edit %22Axiom's End%22 - BookWyrm 2023-11-05 15-31-49.png
Views:	57
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	204585