Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
vOceanic
vOceanic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Unhappy Sony PRS-T1 (Failed to Access Files)

Hello, all!

I promise I Googled / read a bunch of threads / tried a bunch of steps before resorting to a post, haha.

I've been using my Sony PRS-T1 for 1.5 years with Calibre on Windows 11. Some slight weirdness with set-up and transfer, but nothing too bad or remarkable.

As of today, I'm getting this error, which stops me from transferring books to the device:

Quote:
calibre, version 6.7.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: 'D:\\driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 159, in get_device_information
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 139, in _update_driveinfo_file
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: 'D:\\driveinfo.calibre'

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 500, in _get_device_information
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 170, in get_device_information
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 149, in raise_os_error
OSError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: 'D:\\driveinfo.calibre'
- I downgraded from 6.7.1 to 6.7.0, and the error persists
- I tried a few different USB ports
- I rebooted the computer and the device each several times
- I deleted driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre (it seems as if metadata has not reappeared...)
- I deleted some of the files on the main drive. (There aren't many, so I don't think it's a volume issue).

Any idea? (Is it Windows 11 sucking? LOL)

The PRS-T1 was an eBay snag just to see if I would actually use an eReader. I've been really enjoying it (and Calibre) for the past year, and would hate to give it up.

That said, I also don't know if re-formatting will solve the issue. I will if I have to, but am hoping to avoid that if possible.

Any advice is welcome! Thank you to everyone on the forum
vOceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can upgrade back to 6.7.1. That's not the problem.

Plug in the T1 to the USB and try running a chkdsk on it and see what happens.

The problem could be that the T1 is failing. It is 11 years old. If it is the case that it's failing, I suggest you go for a Kobo Libra 2 as a replacement. I was using a T1 when I switched to Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2022, 02:47 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
its an error reading a file from the device. A reformat/reset is your remaining option.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
vOceanic
vOceanic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thank you both! I will try both of those and get back to you. I appreciate it a lot.

ETA: Formatted / eraesd the drive via Quick Format through Windows Explorer. Works like a charm again. Interesting!

Thanks to both of you again; take care.

Last edited by vOceanic; 10-23-2022 at 03:00 PM.
vOceanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device, error adding books, error codes, prs-t1, repair