Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-13-2022, 08:48 AM   #16
nagapow
nagapow began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Air2 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
An update will probably update the boot image and you will lose root.
At the very least you will need to replace the boot image with your last Magisk'ed boot image.
You probably should let the Magisk app process the latest boot image and use that.

@nagapow So you're seeing the boot animation for two minutes solid?
It should run for about 10 seconds. Mine counts and barely gets to ten.
You should run:
Code:
C:\>adb logcat
and see what it's doing.
Yes seeing boot animation for solid 2 and half minutes.

I may be regretting this....but to solve the long boot time problem, I thought i would get back to the original bootloader that was backed up by Magisk app. I used the Magisk app built in 'restore' image function, it showed 'done', I then rebooted. I then uninstalled afwall and Magisk app.

The problem with long boot time still persists. I thought i would restore the whole tablet to factory setting and reroot again.. but am not too sure how to proceed with this.

I ran logcat just now, as you advised, bunch of text came up, i am not sure what i am looking for. but something is definitely wrong, this error:

"10-13 13:43:58.703 1350 1859 E AudioSystem-JNI: AudioSystem::listAudioPorts error -19"

is running constantly in the logcat, doesn't stop at all, the text keeps on running every second....

How do i get back to factory clean slate and then perhaps re-root again?

Last edited by nagapow; 10-13-2022 at 08:51 AM.
nagapow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:01 PM   #17
nagapow

I have been doing some reading online - it seems like its not the issue with the bootloader that is causing the slow down. The android system is loading very slow, so i would want to reset the android system.

Should i do a factory reset of my device? is there a risk a factory reset will brick my device?
Advert
Old 10-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I've been wary of "factory reset" because I don't know which stone-age version they mean by "factory version".

The question is, is it just the booting that is slow or is your device staggering under a load.
Once it boots is everything as fast as it was or slower?
Code:
C:\>adb shell
$ top
Are all the numbers at the top small-ish?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #19
nagapow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I've been wary of "factory reset" because I don't know which stone-age version they mean by "factory version".

The question is, is it just the booting that is slow or is your device staggering under a load.
Once it boots is everything as fast as it was or slower?
Code:
C:\>adb shell
$ top
Are all the numbers at the top small-ish?
Slow boot time, and once booted things are running at normal speed.

Here is an image what i am seeing:

Old 10-13-2022, 11:09 PM   #20
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, a single processor counts as 100% so 782% idle on octo-processor is just goofing off.
So, something makes it grind on boot-up, but it looks like it's doing no harm afterwards.
Advert
Old 10-20-2022, 12:02 AM   #21
ljfriese
ljfriese began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox
Great job

Friggin eh, great job.

I have literally never experienced such well put together instructions for something like this. I can add that restarting the PC is definitely a needed step. I didn't receive a prompt to do so, but nothing worked until I did it, at the one point where you mention it.
ljfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #22
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.
Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Boox Tab Ultra C
@ljfriese, Haha! Awesome. I'm glad to hear it helped. It's what I wished I had when I tried. Thanks for the appreciation and for feedback about the reboot.
Chitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #23
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
@Chitter Thanks for the great guide! I tried rooting on an old Win laptop, but can't seem to get passed the

Code:
edl.exe /u /r /pboot_a boota.img /t
where I get a "Unknown command flag R" error

@Renate Any ideas what that could be? The firehouse it detected in the previous step no probs. I also tried partition b

Edit: Now I'm getting "access denied" when the terminal tries to interact with the edl.exe. I've already excluded the app from the Windows defender just in case.

Last edited by readandread; 11-01-2022 at 09:37 PM.
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #24
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
Any ideas what that could be?
You must have a really old edl.exe, the /r flag came in a good while ago.
Grab a new one: http://www.temblast.com/edl.htm
Make sure that it's 137,216 bytes
MD5 d8c37f6b682f4b0a4f9ef7476c0bae0d
Old 11-02-2022, 11:04 AM   #25
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Ok, thanks. Will try.
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #26
Onscreen5467
Onscreen5467 began at the beginning.

Device: NA2+
@Chitter,

Your instructions worked great for me from a windows box. Thank you for putting that together!

In case someone else is googling around, the EDL software out on GitHub is a different version and the commands are different.

Ex:
Quote:
edl.exe /l662.elf
Would be closer to:
Quote:
./edl --loader=662.elf
Anywho, thank you again for sharing the detailed instructions! No trouble rooting a freshly shipped NA2+
Onscreen5467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:10 AM   #27
Chassid
Chassid began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 2 plus
Critter, thank you so much for this! This saved me so many hours, you have no idea. Also Renate, thank you so much for your insane expertise!

I deviated a little bit from Chitter's guide by using the 'python' edl tool instead of the one by Renate, and by flashing the patched bootloader using Magisk direct install instead of fastboot flash. To me, this felt safer, although this may not be true at all. I just wanted to let people know that it is indeed possible this way.
Chassid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #28
Chassid
Chassid began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 2 plus
It's of course best and safest to dump the boot image yourself, but in case it might help anyone here are the patched (using Magisk) and unpatched dumps for 3.3.1: https://gofile.io/d/ErSRir

My apologies for the double post.
Chassid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:45 PM   #29
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.
Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

@Onscreen5467 - You're welcome. I'm glad it worked for you!
@Chassid - No problem. That's what I was hoping it would do!
Old 06-15-2023, 08:08 PM   #30
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.

Latest patched image and updated instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NA2+ Image v3.3.3 (2023-03-29) Patched.zip (37.50 MB, 128 views)
File Type: pdf How to Root the NA2+ (Win) 2023-06-17.pdf (746.9 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by Chitter; 06-17-2023 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Replaced instrcutions file.