Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
zhivchik
zhivchik began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Update to firmware V3.0 for older devices

Recently Onyx released several new devices that come with firmware v3.0. I would like to invite speculations on our chances of getting this update on older devices in the near future. Official Onyx response is that they will let us know as soon the firmware is ready. If you spent any time on (currently shutdown) onyx-international forums, you know that this is a generic response.
Those of you who had your Onyx devices for many years - what is your experience with trickle-down updates?
zhivchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhivchik View Post
Those of you who had your Onyx devices for many years - what is your experience with trickle-down updates?
I have a Poke Pro (Android 6.0.1) that was recently updated to firmware 2.3.1 (the latest).
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
zhivchik
zhivchik began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
I contacted Onyx support through feedback app regarding the status of V3.0 update for my Max3.

They replied that the update will become available around the end of October.
zhivchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
Quote:
I contacted Onyx support through feedback app regarding the status of V3.0 update for my Max3.

Fingers crossed they will also update the "Pro" line of devices...
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
retrography
retrography is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2 / PocketBook Inkpad 3 / Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

They have been saying that for more than a year now (within two months or so...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
retrography is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrography View Post
They have been saying that for more than a year now (within two months or so...).
Really? I thought they only released v.2.3.1 earlier this year?
Old 10-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Really? I thought they only released v.2.3.1 earlier this year?
I think retrography may have been referring to the long promised upgrade of older Android 6 devices to Android 9. They have kept advising people to be patient and telling them that the upgrade to Android 9 is just around the corner...

Of course, that hasn't happened, and, personally I doubt that it will.

However, Onyx has been pretty good about rolling out their firmware updates to their Android 6 devices, bringing some of the newer features to them. This usually happens months after they have been rolled out to the Android 9 devices. Fair enough. So I'm hoping that they will continue to do this and that we will eventually see version 3 firmware offered to the older devices.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Poke2 has now received the update to OS version 3.
I think it's nice that apps can be grouped together - e.g. Unnecessary and in there, everything that is not needed.
This allows the AppScreen to be designed to be clearly.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Crowriver
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I think retrography may have been referring to the long promised upgrade of older Android 6 devices to Android 9. They have kept advising people to be patient and telling them that the upgrade to Android 9 is just around the corner...

Of course, that hasn't happened, and, personally I doubt that it will.

However, Onyx has been pretty good about rolling out their firmware updates to their Android 6 devices, bringing some of the newer features to them. This usually happens months after they have been rolled out to the Android 9 devices. Fair enough. So I'm hoping that they will continue to do this and that we will eventually see version 3 firmware offered to the older devices.
I'm not really worried about the Android upgrade. I'll be keen to get the firmware update to v.3.0 though, even if not all features can be moved to the older devices. The upgrades to NeoReader and Notes would be sufficient for my use, an e-ink friendly browser would be a nice bonus.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #10
Crowriver
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
My Poke2 has now received the update to OS version 3.
I think it's nice that apps can be grouped together - e.g. Unnecessary and in there, everything that is not needed.
This allows the AppScreen to be designed to be clearly.
Good news, and pretty quick too!
Old 10-26-2020, 02:40 AM   #11
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Nothing yet on the Nova Pro front.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:11 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Nothing yet on the Nova Pro front.
No, it hasn't even reached the Nova 2 yet
Old 10-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #13
Crowriver
Groupie

Having looked into this, I think it is only beta testers who have the new firnware on older devices just now?
Old 10-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Having looked into this, I think it is only beta testers who have the new firnware on older devices just now?
Im not a beta tester and got it for Poke 2, but didnt get it for my Nova 2.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #15
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
My Poke 2 updated v3 this morning in the UK.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote