Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-20-2023, 08:06 AM   #16
rv0000
rv0000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Disconnect the internal battery to make the clock tick again? It sounded extremely weird to me.

But....., it worked! :-) Clock is ticking again.

Pocketbook Touch 5, PB628
rv0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 02:59 AM   #17
wold
Zealot
wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.wold knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Lux 5, Libra 2, PRS-T2N
This also fixed my Lux 5. Thanks! Do be careful with the connector, its plastic cover can peel off.

Note this unit kept the correct date to within a day, with the time incrementing very slowly, appearing almost stuck. KoReader was never installed.

Thinking about it, one idea was the hardware clock producing ticks with random deviations. Over a longer period these could still average out. But this seems rather far fetched after +- 3 months.

Then it seems there are two variables keeping time, or parts thereof. Note time on linux (as used by PB readers) is usually expressed in seconds since "Epoch" (=1970). So keeping time involves incrementing a variable with these seconds. IIRC, sometimes this variable is split into a date and a hour part. The hour part can then be a smaller variable (i.e. <32-bits, with the full epoch time being 64-bits to account for dates after 2038).* An issue with the hour part could explain the UI and annotation date time issues.

As for the battery disconnect, it could reset a variable or the clock increment function**.

* reducing memory usage on embedded devices is a thing; but also consider backward compatibility with older devices.

** A signed vs unsigned integer issue? Both are represented differently IIRC.
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2023, 04:26 AM   #18
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Pocketbook Touch HD3

I'd like to attempt this fix on my Pocketbook Touch HD3 I'm wondering two things:
- will I damage the waterproofing doing this? (EDIT: now I see how it's 'waterproofed', obviously this will damage the waterproofing)
- how do I disconnect the battery? It seems to be wired in a very fragile way and I don't see if I should pull the plug out or up... or some other direction.

Last edited by Dryhte; 11-01-2023 at 04:38 AM.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:12 AM   #19
rv0000
rv0000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
- how do I disconnect the battery? It seems to be wired in a very fragile way and I don't see if I should pull the plug out or up... or some other direction.
Yeah, be very careful here. You don't want to break the wires.

Check the photo's in this thread, in my case i have to wiggle the plug UP with a tweezer. Tooling is important here, using your fingers will not work. A magnifiying glass will help too.
rv0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 03:56 PM   #20
KecajN
Enthusiast
KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBoox Inkpad 3, Inkpad X
I have a number of Pocketbook readers:
- Inkpad 3
- Inkpad 3 Pro
- Inkpax X
- Era
So far, clock did not fail only on Era as it is a brand new device. I am personally using Inkpad X and the clock failed 2 times during warranty period, and I am just waiting for post-warranty repair right now. FixIt told me that repair will cost 350PLN (~80 EUR). Each time they claim that they are replacing motherboard. If they are only resetting a clock by reconnecting a battery, it is just fraud...
KecajN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 06:58 PM   #21
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I have the same problem with my Pocketbook Verse. After sending video proof of the problem I'm sending my device back to Pocketbook. The problem with the broken clock is that it impacts sleep/power off mode since the clock isn't working. otherwise, I wouldn't care all that much about not having a clock on the device.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:04 PM   #22
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

P.S. In regards to sending my device back for repair, they do not make it easy!

I mean the least they could have done is create a Fedex/USPS shipping label. Instead, I'd have to pay for shipping, they also want proof of purchase, model number, and etc..it's a lot. I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Knowing that the device won't turn off on it's own can be worked around. I've just been turning it off myself when I'm done reading. Or my cover will make the device go to sleep if I'm just temporarily putting the device down.

In any case, I'm going to consider this line of devices a lemon and to fix it is too much of a pain to recommend this device to anyone. It would have been nice if they'd just done a straight return and replace.

Amalthia
Old 01-13-2024, 12:35 AM   #23
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I've recently returned my HD3 for a warranty repair after the e-ink screen failed. I was offered a collection, or dropping the device to a courier customer point. I opted for mailing the device off myself as it was more convenient for me.

The procedure was simple enough, record the return under their FIXIT online system and print off the emailed sales invoice I received at POS.

If I get the device back and all is well I'll be happy enough, although it's not a great feeling that my first PocketBook is the first device I've ever had to return - having owned many other brands of ereader.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 01-13-2024 at 12:37 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 02:23 AM   #24
Amalthia
Wizard

I think I was lucky with my previous Pocketbook HD2 purchase, everything worked right out the gate.