Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #61
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
but it is also so small that you are probably very close to it
Try simulating the experience with any 6-ish inches thing placed in the position they expect, simulate the posture and see if it can be good practice.

With the Max2, I either:
-- use an oblique table that keeps its base, portrait, leveled at the sternal angle (the bottom of the manubrium), at around 25 cm from the eyes, or
-- use a tablet stand that keeps its centre at eye level, at around 30 cm distance (as per the video).

There is a limit for keeping those screens close, for both sight and keyboard operation. Looking at its build, I think you will be looking downwards a lot; it seems more complicated than going completely custom to achieve something ergonomically adequate with that form.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:30 AM   #62
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
At this price, I really don't see the point of this product. I understand the advantages of being able to type outdoors on an e-ink screen, although the desire for portability is a questionable one (how often does a writer go outside to work, without the ability to carry a small backpack or briefcase?). I would much prefer to combine a versatile Android ereader (of whatever size) with a folding bluetooth keyboard, both of which are available and cheap. And they can both be used separately as well as together. Yes, they would not be physically integrated out-of-the box, a problem which could be solved in a few minutes if needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jmirko; 05-18-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #63
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
For anyone interested in e-Ink writing devices, there's also this "smart" typewriter: https://getfreewrite.com

It's sort of at the very opposite end of the spectrum in terms of portability compared to the one shown by Onyx. And the Freewrite costs about $500.

I have one, and it serves its one purpose, getting first drafts out without distractions, very well. I also like the comfortable keyboard. Maybe the Onyx device will similarly serve customers with very specialized needs well.
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #64
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
For anyone interested in e-Ink writing devices, there's also this "smart" typewriter: https://getfreewrite.com

It's sort of at the very opposite end of the spectrum in terms of portability compared to the one shown by Onyx. And the Freewrite costs about $500.

I have one, and it serves its one purpose, getting first drafts out without distractions, very well. I also like the comfortable keyboard. Maybe the Onyx device will similarly serve customers with very specialized needs well.
Subject of the same criticism that can hit the other one (probably all of the points). In particular, that very website reveals that it is oriented to people that, for their own feeling, would embrace some "less is more" interest.

By the way: what is meant with that formula, "without distractions"? It is the third time I find it, and now twice in a row. My immediate interpretation is of thinking of people nauseated by Microsoft Ribbon - but I am pretty sure that even MS Office allows for hiding all interfaces with a keystroke and leaving only text on the screen. All the products I use do it, so I guess that even MS Office should.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #65
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Subject of the same criticism that can hit the other one (probably all of the points). In particular, that very website reveals that it is oriented to people that, for their own feeling, would embrace some "less is more" interest.

By the way: what is meant with that formula, "without distractions"? It is the third time I find it, and now twice in a row. My immediate interpretation is of thinking of people nauseated by Microsoft Ribbon - but I am pretty sure that even MS Office allows for hiding all interfaces with a keystroke and leaving only text on the screen. All the products I use do it, so I guess that even MS Office should.
Different people probably mean different things by it. For me it's the overwhelming number of choices (ribbon, buttons, formatting choices, email, web, twitter, this forum, etc.). A device that can only do one thing but do it extremely well can be helpful to people in some cases. It's a pretty specialized need though.
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #66
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
I suspect they (also?) mean it doesn't have other programs on it. Think about how some people insist eink devices should be for only reading. Also think about how some people will sit down to do something, only to find themselves doing the laundry or something they've put off for months. Or people who sit at their computer with the intention of doing something, only to realize they've spent an hour on youtube or something.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:41 AM   #67
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
it doesn't have other programs on it
Freedom is an objective value in technical contex.
Giving value to the special "benefit" of imposed constraints is a very personal situation and choice - ok.

Note that some producers are marketing it as a positive feature...

Last edited by mdp; 05-20-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:27 AM   #68
mdp
Wizard

This is a normal Kingsoft office interface (I just darkened in my version the top bar for OLED use): it is very much immersive already, and the FullScreen option even hides that top bar - probably hardly visible - and just leaves the page and the page only, in case (it is like a reading mode, but you can still type).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kingsoft_front.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	164045