Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
deadman36g
deadman36g began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Help with downloading ebooks into Marvin using Calibre content server vs OPDS

I have been trying to solve a problem I keep having and am needing some help.

Some of the ebooks I have have generic covers by default but I have added a nice cover using Calibre (saved as cover.jpg in the books folder)

I do not like to change anything about my actual epub file as I like to keep them as retail quality.

Ok, I am using Marvin for iOS as my ebook reader, and when I download the ebooks using OPDS they do not get the cover from Calibre they get what I guess is the default cover.

When I do the Connect/Share button inside Calibre and download that way, I do get the books with cover art

The only problem is, this solution requires Calibre to be running at all times and that is not ideal for me.

I have included a video to help explain my problem

https://youtu.be/RKvKwOBMQes

Last edited by deadman36g; 12-09-2016 at 12:40 PM.
deadman36g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman36g View Post
I have been trying to solve a problem I keep having and am needing some help.

Some of the ebooks I have have generic covers by default but I have added a nice cover using Calibre (saved as cover.jpg in the books folder)

I do not like to change anything about my actual epub file as I like to keep them as retail quality.

Ok, I am using Marvin for iOS as my ebook reader, and when I download the ebooks using OPDS they do not get the cover from Calibre they get what I guess is the default cover.

When I do the Connect/Share button inside Calibre and download that way, I do get the books with cover art

The only problem is, this solution requires Calibre to be running at all times and that is not ideal for me.

I have included a video to help explain my problem

https://youtu.be/RKvKwOBMQes
the only way you will get this to work is if you use the option to embed the updated cover/metadata in the eBook file (i.e. Changing it). It works when you use the Connect button in Calibre as that change is made as part of the transfer.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
deadman36g
deadman36g began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
the only way you will get this to work is if you use the option to embed the updated cover/metadata in the eBook file (i.e. Changing it). It works when you use the Connect button in Calibre as that change is made as part of the transfer.
Ok, is it possible if later I wanted to undo that option and make the file unchanged again? (i.e. restore orginal, or remove any embedded data from calibre)
deadman36g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman36g View Post
Ok, is it possible if later I wanted to undo that option and make the file unchanged again? (i.e. restore orginal, or remove any embedded data from calibre)
If you're converting like-to-like (e.g. EPUB to EPUB) or using Polish books you could change the settings in Preferences->Tweaks->Save original file when converting/polishing from same format to same format to True.

Then when you convert EPUB to EPUB, or polish an EPUB, you will have an ORIGINAL_EPUB file. The right click menu on the ORIGINAL_EPUB in Book Details (afaik there is no other way) will have an option to Restore the ORIGINAL_EPUB format.

IIRC - if you do another EPUB to EPUB conversion or Polish it will do it on the ORIGINAL_EPUB. The feature is not intended to be used as a means to keep a 'safe' copy of the original format in perpetuity. Its purpose is to provide a means to undo the results of an unsatisfactory like-to-like conversion or polish. If the conversion or polish is acceptable it is assumed the user will remove the ORIGINAL_XXXX format.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote