Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Calibre 3.0 changes and bèta release date?

Hi

I've seen Calibre 3.0 mentioned multiple times now. Is there a summary in which is stated what the changes are going to be? Are current plugins going to work, or do they need changes as well?

Also, is there a (tentative) release date for a bèta version? I'm willing to run version 3.0, with its own library, for testing purposes. If I do something in 2.0, I can then do it in 3.0 as well (and also use any new functions) and report bugs.

I can't help with programming as my Python knowledge is 0, and I don't have enough free time beside work+study to get into this, but I can at least help by testing, if wanted.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I will announce the beta here when it is ready. Still a lot of work to finish for that though. There should be no effect on the vast majority of plugins.

However, you can test the main feature of 3.0 -- the new content server using a normal calibre install, by running

calibre-debug.exe --new-server -- /path/to/some/calibre/library/folder

And then go to http://localhost:8080 in some *modern* browser. The new server already has more functionality than the old one, but the major new component, the in browser viewer is under heavy development right now.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Interesting. Not sure if I am a fan of the 'distressed' covers (bashed corners ) look. The Grid is nice

It does seen slower. (W10 core2)

Also, some fields appear to be missing is 'searches' (custom dates: #finished AKA Read) is this respecting any existing tweaks?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Will the existing viewer (ebook-viewer.exe) continue to be distributed in the calibre package?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks: fields missing from where? The Book details page?

@BR: Yes. Though eventually, it will probably be re-written from scratch to use the same codebase as the in browser viewer.
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 04:05 AM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I will announce the beta here when it is ready. Still a lot of work to finish for that though. There should be no effect on the vast majority of plugins.
I'll wait for the announcement then

Quote:
However, you can test the main feature of 3.0 -- the new content server using a normal calibre install, by running

calibre-debug.exe --new-server -- /path/to/some/calibre/library/folder

And then go to http://localhost:8080 in some *modern* browser. The new server already has more functionality than the old one, but the major new component, the in browser viewer is under heavy development right now.
Ack... it's the one feature in calibre I don't use

Still, I'll make a new library and take a look at the content server. If I encounter any unexpected behavior, I'll report it )
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@theducks: fields missing from where? The Book details page?

@BR: Yes. Though eventually, it will probably be re-written from scratch to use the same codebase as the in browser viewer.
The Search Page

I see many fields with pulldowns,. Including custom , but no dates

I wanted to do a False type on a date (AKA not read)
#finished:false

'Dates' would not be a pulldown. dates could be: single, range, count_range , true-false

I think I need to wait for the Manual as I just figured out how to drive some of the new search
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newsvr.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	152052  
Old 09-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Searching works exactly like in the main calibre program. Think of the items below the search bar as items from the Tag Browser in the main program. You can click them to create a search just as you would in calibre, or you can directly type in the search query. Just as in calibre, date like fields are not included in the tag browser entries, you have to type them in manually.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Searching works exactly like in the main calibre program. Think of the items below the search bar as items from the Tag Browser in the main program. You can click them to create a search just as you would in calibre, or you can directly type in the search query. Just as in calibre, date like fields are not included in the tag browser entries, you have to type them in manually.
I tried typing just like I would in the GUI (you tend to be consistent )
#finished:false works as expected in the GUI

I just updated to 2.69
It now works
Old 09-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kovid - are you interested in feed back before the beta ?

BR
Old 09-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Kovid - are you interested in feed back before the beta ?

BR
Yes, and no It is easier to change things/add functionality before everything is done, on the other hand, I want to focus on getting to a minimum releasable state as quickly as possible.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

BTW the new server (W10 x64) worked fine with Calibre Companion to pull a few titles
Old 09-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

With the current server I can 'jump' to a list of books for an author, or a book via commands such as

Code:
"C:\Portables\QupZilla Browser\qupzilla.exe" http://localhost:8080/browse/matches/authors/187
"C:\Portables\QupZilla Browser\qupzilla.exe" http://localhost:8080/browse/book/125
Where 187 is a author table id and 125 is a book id. Will this be available with the new server?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-30-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-01-2016, 01:45 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes, just look at the urls generated when you go to those places in the server, the pattern will become obvious. You can in fact link to individual locations inside books, not just to the metadata page for the book.

But, let me interject a note of caution. The URL scheme may change anytime upto the release, since the server is still in development.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Kovid - I actually meant will the current url scheme will be available (perhaps as an alternative), I have lots of them embedded in EN and ON Notes. The current the equivalents are

ipaddress:port/?search=authors:%22%3DBetter%20Red%22 and
ipaddress:port/book-id=307&panel=book-details

The second one is OK as it's based on the book's unique key, so I can easily adjust what I have. But the one for authors uses the Author Name which is not a unique key, and...

I think I'd better wait until the beta is released before I make further comments

BR