Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i loathe flying.

i loathe airports, i loathe planes, i loathe taking off and landing, and i loathe the sadistically closely-packed horrifically uncomfortable bum-numbing instruments of torture that they try to pass off as "seats". i loathe the fact that although the "arrive 3 hours early, supposedly for security reasons, but really so we can make you wait around for two hours and 50 minutes at LEAST" rule makes it materially pretty much impossible to miss your flight unless you actually go out of your way to miss it on purpose, i STILL worry about this starting hours in advance. i loathe the fact that despite travelling with a book and usually more than one, i am usually too distracted / worried / nervous to enjoy it and am often reduced to staring mindlessly into space / at passersby, punctuated by frequent verifications that yep, it's almost a full minute later than it was the last time i checked.

i also loathe the hours upon hours of my life i have to waste sitting around airposts waiting to board, especially when the plane is delayed. i will never get those hours back ! i have not found a single airport to redeem the others (although, admittedly, i have not visited very many). i changed planes in heathrow a year and a half ago and it gave new meaning to the first few paragraphs of "the Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul" (Douglas Adams), which opens in Heathrow.

Quote:
It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport". Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports ane full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (Murmansk airport is the only known exception to this otherwise infallible rule), and architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs.

They have sought to highlight the tiredness and crossness motif with brutal shapes and nerve jangling colours, to make effortless the business of separating the traveller for ever from his or her luggage or loved ones, to confuse the traveller with arrows that appear to point at the windows, distant tie racks, or the current position of Ursa Minor in the night sky, and wherever possible to expose the plumbing on the grounds that it is functional, and conceal the location of the departure gates, presumably on the grounds that they are not.
i will say this for heathrow, it did have hobnobs. although, in typical airport fashion, you could not buy the regular classic hobnob, but only the "snack sized" mini hobnobs with chocolate. i prefer the classic ones.

i am mostly afraid of the taking off and landing bits. once in the air i usually calm down somewhat (not completely though... but i think it wears off a bit out of the sheer tedium of being stuck there for so damned long). but during the take-off and landing bits i have to clutch the armrests and concentrate on taking deep breaths to keep calm.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
My problem is with the security measures imposed today. More accurately with the implementation of these methods. I understand the need the Government felt to impose them, I just don't like going through them. (Then again I wasn't happy many years ago when they banned smoking on planes. I'm still looking for the "no cheap perfume" section.)
oh god, so am i. also the "no shrieking babies" section. it is my belief that if you want to have a baby, so be it, but you should have the courtesy of not inflicting this decision on anyone else, particularly those who have not chosen it for themselves. if this means cloistering yourself at home until the baby turns 15 or so, well, we thank you in advance for your consideration, and we'll order some magazine subscriptions and broadband internet for you.
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #18
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i'm not so much afraid of flying as i am afraid of crashing
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I have actually passed through security at LaGuardia airport having my bag scanned on three separate occasions, not realizing that I had a utility knife/ leatherman type of tool in my bag. That to me is scary, but they did ask me to dispose of my water.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #20
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i loathe flying.

i loathe airports, i loathe planes, i loathe taking off and landing, and i loathe the sadistically closely-packed horrifically uncomfortable bum-numbing instruments of torture that they try to pass off as "seats". i loathe the fact that although the "arrive 3 hours early, supposedly for security reasons, but really so we can make you wait around for two hours and 50 minutes at LEAST" rule makes it materially pretty much impossible to miss your flight unless you actually go out of your way to miss it on purpose, i STILL worry about this starting hours in advance. i loathe the fact that despite travelling with a book and usually more than one, i am usually too distracted / worried / nervous to enjoy it and am often reduced to staring mindlessly into space / at passersby, punctuated by frequent verifications that yep, it's almost a full minute later than it was the last time i checked.

i also loathe the hours upon hours of my life i have to waste sitting around airposts waiting to board, especially when the plane is delayed. i will never get those hours back ! i have not found a single airport to redeem the others (although, admittedly, i have not visited very many). i changed planes in heathrow a year and a half ago and it gave new meaning to the first few paragraphs of "the Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul" (Douglas Adams), which opens in Heathrow.
Cast your loathe upon the water and it will return to you ten fold. Or was that in tin foil? With ten folds?

I was in CDG once but I don't remember much. It was around 10:00AM after flying all night with no sleep from NY City. Had trouble keeping my eyes open.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Not afraid of flying, but I don't enjoy the lead-up to the trip. I'm usually ok once I'm through security. I must have this aura about me that suggests I'm just plotting to start a peace protest on the plane or something. I tend to get searched a lot. And I'm generally tense whenever I have to be somewhere at a specific time anyway, because I'm quite often late. (Though I've only missed one flight from it, in years of having to travel for work.)

Two particularly memorable experiences:

Chicago O'Hare, 2am. Traveling from Terminal B to Terminal C via the underground passage with the pretty lights and surreal music to catch the other leg of my flight, after numerous delays coming back from California to the East Coast. Closest I'll ever probably ever come to a hallucinogenic experience.

LAX, International Terminal, on my way to China to adopt our older daughter. Had waved to a few other people in (long) line also wearing buttons indicating they were with the same adoption agency. Got to the front of the line, was told there was no record of my reservation and the flight was full. I was 3000 miles from home and about 3000 miles from where I hoped to be. I smiled, nodded, showed my printed copy of the reservation, and asked what the ticket agent could suggest? He suggested politely that I wait nearby and he would "help" me after seeing to the other customers. I was in a pretty zen state by then, because we'd waited 14 months to be approved to adopt this girl, during which time China had completely shut down older child adoptions and for a while it had looked like it just wasn't going to happen, so I figured it was out of my hands at this point. I asked some of the other adoptive families who passed me in line to let the agency know that I'd be along eventually, if it happened that I didn't make this flight. They were far more distressed than I was. A young couple soon landed next to me on the sidelines, in the same predicament and somewhat panicky, so I calmed them down a bit.

The three of us got put in crew seats in first class, at no extra charge.

Of course, that was the one time I actually checked a bag (I usually fly with one carry-on, no matter where I'm going or for how long), and I was stupid enough to check the one with the adoption paperwork in it, and they lost it, and I had to wander around Baggage Claim in Beijing asking (in my very limited Mandarin) "Have you seen a bag? It is blue. It is medium sized. It is round." I did get the bag back. That makes a good story when I'm teaching introductory Chinese lessons.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #22
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm not afraid of flying. If I were, I'd have to get another job. Turns out that I spend a lot of time in transit. Like many others have already said, the process is not pleasant. I've learned some tricks that help. First, try to fly the same airline all the time and join their frequent-flyer program. That gets you promoted to prestige status and they are more likely to make concessions or grant you some bonuses. Also, join the "club" and take advantage of the lounge. That's a much better place to wait than the boarding areas. I check my suitcase so I have less "stuff" to keep up with or tote through connecting airports. And bring books!

Pre-Kindle, I would have 3 paperbacks in my backpack and 2-6 more in my suitcase, depending on how long I was going to be away from home. And, I was not reluctant to visit Borders or Barnes & Noble (Chapters in Canada) if I ran out of reading material.

My fears -- the kind that grip you and lock every muscle in your body -- come in two situations. First is when having to ride down a long, steep escalator. I'm ok to ride up, but not down. And normal, single-story escalators are no problem in either direction. In a pinch, I cope by turning around and facing up while riding down. If you see an old lady facing the wrong direction on an escalator, it's likely to be me. My second abject fear is at railroad crossings when the train is present. My heart pounds every time I have to drive across the tracks -- which can be several times each day since the tracks are between my house and the highway! Interestingly, I have no problem *riding* in the train and find it a very nice way to travel. But, it's a mighty struggle to get across those tracks until I verify that there is NO TRAIN IN SIGHT.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #23
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
La Crosse non-International Airport is nice. You can arrive five minutes before the flight with two huge bags and carry-ons and make your plane. There is one little tschotschke store with cheese head hats and the local paper, but it's not overpriced, at least. You can look at the latest in air chiller design if you want to get there ten minutes early. When you arrive, the baggage claim is righ next to the gatet and your bags magically appear in five minutes or less. You walk out the front doo which is on the same level as the gates and across the street to the parking lot to your car, which is still there. You are home in ten minutes.

The only down side is that Northwest sometimes does not have a flight that is convenient to where you want to go and you have to fly (:shreikingwomanandscreaminghorses: ) American Airlines.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #24
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I'm not afraid of flying. If I were, I'd have to get another job. Turns out that I spend a lot of time in transit. Like many others have already said, the process is not pleasant. I've learned some tricks that help. First, try to fly the same airline all the time and join their frequent-flyer program. That gets you promoted to prestige status and they are more likely to make concessions or grant you some bonuses. Also, join the "club" and take advantage of the lounge. That's a much better place to wait than the boarding areas. I check my suitcase so I have less "stuff" to keep up with or tote through connecting airports. And bring books!

Pre-Kindle, I would have 3 paperbacks in my backpack and 2-6 more in my suitcase, depending on how long I was going to be away from home. And, I was not reluctant to visit Borders or Barnes & Noble (Chapters in Canada) if I ran out of reading material.

My fears -- the kind that grip you and lock every muscle in your body -- come in two situations. First is when having to ride down a long, steep escalator. I'm ok to ride up, but not down. And normal, single-story escalators are no problem in either direction. In a pinch, I cope by turning around and facing up while riding down. If you see an old lady facing the wrong direction on an escalator, it's likely to be me. My second abject fear is at railroad crossings when the train is present. My heart pounds every time I have to drive across the tracks -- which can be several times each day since the tracks are between my house and the highway! Interestingly, I have no problem *riding* in the train and find it a very nice way to travel. But, it's a mighty struggle to get across those tracks until I verify that there is NO TRAIN IN SIGHT.
good tips. i don't fly enough to be able to get full benefit of them, but i did recently join about 4 frequent flyer programs. i do realize that that sort of defeats the purpose, but when i joined them i was not sure which air company i would be using next / most often. ironically, the next flight i took was with none of those companies. but i chose it because it was over 100€ cheaper. for my next flight i am going to try to use one of the companies i am registered with.

best company i have ever flown with (and i've had several flights with them) : Air Tahiti Nui. they are really nice and friendly, the planes seem more comfortable than most and rather recent, the food is suprisingly good, and everybody who works for them is stunningly beautiful. also, they give you a flower when you board, and once the plane is in the air the cabin crew change into tropical dresses to be more comfortable. sadly, the destinations they fly to are rather limited.

i am subject to vertigo as well, particularly in long flights of stairs (or escalators, i suppose, but i don't see many escalators so tall, or else i am going up them, not down). when i went to see the tom waits concert (TOM WAITS, BABY !!! sorry. i'm still overexcited about that) out seats were in the second balcony, which is pitched at a terrifyingly abrupt angle. this is good because it means that even from aaaaaalll the way up there, you have a good view, but it was horrible walking down the steps to our seats. i walked behind my friend so i couldn't see the full stairway and i put my hand on her shoulder to keep steady. she made fun of me, but later she went out and came back and she said at the top of the stairs there was a lady in front of her who almost panicked at the sight and put her hand on the wall to recover. she also to had to hold her friend's hand to go down the stairs. i will try the "going down backwards" trick next time. although it might be dangerous on stairs.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
La Crosse non-International Airport is nice. You can arrive five minutes before the flight with two huge bags and carry-ons and make your plane. There is one little tschotschke store with cheese head hats and the local paper, but it's not overpriced, at least. You can look at the latest in air chiller design if you want to get there ten minutes early.
????
Quote:
The only down side is that Northwest sometimes does not have a flight that is convenient to where you want to go and you have to fly (:shreikingwomanandscreaminghorses: ) American Airlines.
note to self : avoid American Airlines.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #26
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cheese head hats:

Green Bay Packer (American Football) fans wear these things as a sign that a) they support their team and b) they are clinically insane.

Air chillers:

La Crosse is the home of Trane industries and Chart Industries. They make air conditioning units. Most of which need to be hauled around on great huge flat bed trucks on their way to Saudi Arabia. They usually have a display of their latest model at the airport. Ghod only knows why.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #27
zelda_pinwheel

fascinating. wisconsin is an unexpectedly strange and exotic place.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #28
pshrynk

Yeah. Imagine the coldest place you've ever been to. Then imagine that place with the air conditioner turned up to 11. Then imagine yearning to go to that place because it would be a nice break from the cold. THAT is where the world's leading air conditioning industry is located?

No wonder we wear cheese heads.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #29
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

i am subject to vertigo as well, particularly in long flights of stairs (or escalators, i suppose, but i don't see many escalators so tall, or else i am going up them, not down). when i went to see the tom waits concert (TOM WAITS, BABY !!! sorry. i'm still overexcited about that) out seats were in the second balcony, which is pitched at a terrifyingly abrupt angle. this is good because it means that even from aaaaaalll the way up there, you have a good view, but it was horrible walking down the steps to our seats. i walked behind my friend so i couldn't see the full stairway and i put my hand on her shoulder to keep steady. she made fun of me, but later she went out and came back and she said at the top of the stairs there was a lady in front of her who almost panicked at the sight and put her hand on the wall to recover. she also to had to hold her friend's hand to go down the stairs. i will try the "going down backwards" trick next time. although it might be dangerous on stairs.
i've had similar experience at the Albert Hall, sitting up at the top, and yes the seating arrangement does pitch at an alarming angle...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #30
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Airports and escalators. Ick.

I was trying to make a plane leaving San Diego for Austin last year. I had my rolling case with me, and stupidly put it on the step in front of me going down on the escalator.

So, of course, when I got to the bottom, the case didn't roll off the escalator, but instead just sat there while the escalator pushed my feet under the case and caused me to fall backwards, where I lay with each sucessive step banging me in the head for several seconds.

I managed to get myself up ... I was a bit dazed ... I seem to remember a couple of men coming over to give me a hand. I made it onto the plane, however, after three hours in the air and an hour driving home from the airport, I could barely move.

When I got a look at my back, it became clear as to why. I was covered in deep (and large) bruises.

Such a pleasant memory.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment