Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 04:22 AM   #16
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuskro View Post
We use this preset to act as a switcher between screen on and off. It won't overheat your cpu, in fact the default preset is fixed on 996 always.
Hi Kuskro,

I was also puzzled why by default minimum & maximum frequency is 996 MHz.

Could you explain a bit about this please. How is screen switch on/off related to CPU min/max frequency.

Thanks,
Jp
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #17
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 & M96
It is not a switcher for screen on/off, aforementioned preset is a switcher for the cpu frequent that works upon two profiles: screen off and low battery.

Last edited by kuskro; 03-03-2015 at 07:53 AM.
kuskro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #18
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
It is not a switcher for screen on/off, aforementioned preset is a switcher for the cpu frequent that works upon two profiles: screen off and low battery.

But why did you set besides the maximum, the minimum to 996 MHz as well?

Which effect does it have with ondemand scaling and will it in the end not just drain battery?

Greetings
eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #19
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb00ker View Post
But why did you set besides the maximum, the minimum to 996 MHz as well?

Which effect does it have with ondemand scaling and will it in the end not just drain battery?

Greetings
You can also set the minimum on 792 but it drains more or less same battery and the performance with 996 is better. The microprocessor, the ram memory and the bus of the motherboard sucks, so we need it working on maximum presets. By default, I mean just out of the box these devices are preset on 996, so Onyx knows perfectly that the are placing very bad components on their devices but with premium prices.

Best.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:54 AM   #20
fuli42
fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.

Device: Bokeen Odyssey, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx M96, Onyx i86

Thanks Kuskro! I went through your setup and the M96 feels more responsive now.

Some notes:

- I had to use the Towelroot method, there was no way I could connect the M96 through usb to launch the rooting. I installed the drivers, etc. and still no success

- I tested ezPDF but reverted back to Neoreader it seems better optimised for the M96. I haven't tried Lightning launcher either, the default one is good enough for me.

Do I need to do anything to revert the rooting or I can continue using the M96 as is? Does Antutu CPU Master need the rooting to continue working?
fuli42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #21
kuskro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuli42 View Post

Thanks Kuskro! I went through your setup and the M96 feels more responsive now.

Some notes:

- I had to use the Towelroot method, there was no way I could connect the M96 through usb to launch the rooting. I installed the drivers, etc. and still no success

- I tested ezPDF but reverted back to Neoreader it seems better optimised for the M96. I haven't tried Lightning launcher either, the default one is good enough for me.

Do I need to do anything to revert the rooting or I can continue using the M96 as is? Does Antutu CPU Master need the rooting to continue working?
You can unroot your M96 reinstalling the update via recovery bootloader. To do so, you have to turn off your M96, hold pressed "back button" while you press "power button" and keep both pressed for while, that let you enter in recovery mode, then apply a "wipe data/factory reset" and afterwards "apply update from external storage", be patient because it takes time.

Best.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #22
cmavr8
Enthusiast
cmavr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi all, I have a T68 with the 2014-10-14_01-22_dev_662747e firmware installed.
I was wondering if this is the "best" firmware to have still.

If it is I will go ahead and do the modifications proposed in post 1.

If it's not, should I just update to the latest version offered in the "official" thread by Booxtor?
cmavr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #23
kuskro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
Hi all, I have a T68 with the 2014-10-14_01-22_dev_662747e firmware installed.
I was wondering if this is the "best" firmware to have still.

If it is I will go ahead and do the modifications proposed in post 1.

If it's not, should I just update to the latest version offered in the "official" thread by Booxtor?
The firmware you have is the one I used to try aforementioned modifications. From my viewpoint it is the best right now.

Best.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #24
inmee
Banned
inmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: T68 Boox
I read from somewhere else that there are a number of "screen filter" apps on Google Play, which can dim the screen backlight in another way.

Not ideal, but nonetheless work.
inmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmee View Post
I read from somewhere else that there are a number of "screen filter" apps on Google Play, which can dim the screen backlight in another way.

Not ideal, but nonetheless work.
I've not found one that worked...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #26
inmee
Banned
inmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: T68 Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've not found one that worked...
Iam using "Darker".
inmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #27
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Kuskro, I've followed your advices and now my T68 works very well! In particular I've noticed a lot of improvements unistalling Google Services and moving the biggest apps on SD Card.

I'd like to advice only 2 more improvements:
1-Full!screen doesn't work properly, at least on my device. It often doesn't restore the system bar and it's no possible to refresh the page by the left botton when the full screen is on. I've found a small app in the forum which works very good and it's possible to refresh the page as well.

It's possible to download it here

2-Calibre and Calibre Companion are a good couple. With Calibre Companion is possible not only to syncronize ebooks by wifi and cloud, but it's possible to syncronize marks of read ebooks between Calibre and C. Campanion and sorting in C. Companion the ebooks according to the last read ebooks as well. I think it's a good way to replace the Onyx Launcher
How to configure Calibre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_08_16_18.22.19.png
Views:	303
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	141102   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_08_16_18.23.45.png
Views:	307
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	141103  

Last edited by cicabum; 08-21-2015 at 05:56 AM.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:25 AM   #28
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
The firmware you have is the one I used to try aforementioned modifications. From my viewpoint it is the best right now.

Best.
Kuskro, you said that "OnyxLauncher-release.apk cannot be uninstalled on T68 because it controls the backlight brighteness (/sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight.0/brightness) and navigation indicator light.", but it's exactly what I wanted to do, because I have never used it: it's annoying light for me (I've problems with my eyes) and sometimes it swichts on even if I've done anything. I've deactived "Onyxlauncher-release.apk" by "SystemApp remove" but I noticed after that it's always possible to activate the backlight by the left botton. The only problem in this way is that navigation indicator light has weird behavior (it swichts off and on as it wants :-D ). I tried to deactived the backlight changing the value (255 > 0) of the file max_brightness in /sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight.0/brightness , but I couldn't save it, even if I use a file manager with the root mode activated and I don't why. Any suggestions?
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #29
bakisfigus
bakisfigus began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96?
Hi Kuskro,

Just wanted to thank you very much for sharing your tweaks and tricks, I noticed a great improvement in my M96. I must admit that I was a bit disappointed by its performance, couldn't really use it to annotate pdfs, even highlighting was terribly slow and inaccurate. I ended up reading more stuff in my 4" smartphone (with ezpdf by the way) while the M96 laid unused for weeks. I tried several apps to read pdfs (ezpdf, foxit, mantano, etc.) but none seemed usable.

Well, now the ereader is much more responsive and ezpdf works fine on it. So, thanks again for your work. If you get the opportunity to check whether the upgrade do android 4.4 is actually worth it, in terms of performance, your opinion will be much appreciated.

All the best
bakisfigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #30
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Would be nice if all these changes could be done in an unofficial ROM.

What about Koreader?

Are there plans for a newer ROM? Will these suggestions be used and make a more usable default ROM?
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote