Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 & M96
T68 & M96 Enhancements

To whom it may help:

1. Notice that this thread is for Booxtor's firmware devices bought on www.ereader-store.de, I've never applied lines below changes over other devices apart from Booxtor's ones. To move your device to Booxtor firmware check this thread for T68 or that one for M96.

2. I've modified the root process for our T68 (also works on M96) to install SuperSU instead of Superuser. Follow the instructions on this file: root.7z (remember to reboot your PC just after installing the included ADB drivers to continue with the instructions). BTW, I've also included Towelroot_v1 method.

3. The booxtor's update (20141014) for T68 (or 20141013 for M96) can work pretty awesome if you swap the original build.prop (remember change permissions to rw-r--r-- 0644 and owner to root) by the one attached on this post but previosly you must have installed: Lightning Launcher eXtreme (this post attached "LightningLauncher" file is not the launcher therefore you have to buy it on google store, the attached file is a really good preset´s backup for our device in advance, so unpack the attached "LightningLauncher" folder on /sdcard/ path and restore it through the lightning launcher settings).

4. With a CPU manager (I use No frills CPU Control <-- set "light & dark theme"):
- Freq Settings for T68: Min. 996 / Max. 996 / Governor: Ondemand.
- I/O Scheduler for T68: "Deadline" and "Apply on boot" checked.
(Note for M96: Min. 996 / Max. 996 / Governor: Performance / I/O Scheduler: cfq)

5. To free space on system you can debloat your device easily deleting the next app list (with "SystemApp Remover" for instance, to avoid leaving residual stuff on your device). Debloating the /system/app let you move apps releasing space on /data/app (a good way to do so is with Titanium Backup Pro app):

AgingTest-release.apk (needed on M96)
AlReader.apk (Other Readers like Moon+ Reader and ezPDF are recommended instead this default one)
Browser.apk (Other Browsers like Lightning Browser are recommended instead this default one)
Browser.odex (Other Browsers like Lightning Browser are recommended instead of this default one)
Email.apk
Email.obex
Exchange.apk
Exchange.obex
FBReaderJ-release.apk (Other Readers like Moon+ Reader and ezPDF are recommended instead this default one)
LatinIME.apk (needed if you didn't get another keyboard installed apart from the default one)
LatinIME.obex (needed if you didn't get another keyboard installed apart from the default one)
LauncherTests-release.apk (needed if you didn't get another launcher installed apart from the default one)
Mms.apk
Mms.odex
NeoReaderTests-release.apk (Other Readers like Moon+ Reader and ezPDF are recommended instead this default one)
OnyxBootPicSetup-release.apk
OnyxData-release.apk
OnyxDict-release.apk
OnyxOtaService.apk
OnyxOtaService.odex
OnyxReaderDJVU-release.apk (Other Readers like Moon+ Reader and ezPDF are recommended instead this default one)
OnyxReader-release.apk (Other Readers like Moon+ Reader and ezPDF are recommended instead this default one)
OnyxScribbler-release.apk
OTAUpdateTest-release.apk
PinyinIME.apk (Chinese people need it)
PinyinIME.odex (Chinese people need it)
Reader-release.apk (Other Readers like Moon+ Reader and ezPDF are recommended instead this default one)
StartupTutorial-release.apk

NOTE 01: OnyxLauncher-release.apk cannot be uninstalled on T68 because it controls the backlight brighteness (/sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight.0/brightness) and navigation indicator light. OnyxLauncher-release.apk could be uninstalled on M96 if you previously installed Lightning Launcher.

NOTE 02: whether you erase this apps (specially the OTA ones) you still can update your device easily through the recovery bootloader (you have to turn off your M96, hold pressed "back button" while you press "power button" and keep both pressed for a while, that let you enter in recovery mode, then apply a "wipe data/factory reset" and afterwards "apply update from external storage", be patient because it takes time).

6. To convert your T68 and/or your M96 in a multi-purpose android tablet you will need this android apps:
- Lightning Launcher version 12.0.1 r2021 (to replace the default one)
- Full!screen (let you have fullscreen and recent apps tool)
- Root Explorer
- Rotation Lock Adaptive
- ezPDF (best pdf reader that combined with ColorDict can be very useful).
- Moon+ Reader (best for ePub files)
- Puffin Web Browser (or Lightning+ Browser)
- Kindle
- Assistive Zoom Pro (for zooming on your web browser)
- MyScript Stylus (so impressive for hand-writing)
- Bass Booster Pro.
- Accapela TTS voices (best for M96).
- Swiftkey for recognizing bluetooth external keyboards layouts.
- Documents to Go (most stable office suite for M96).
- No-frills CPU Control (CPU freq: Min. 996 / Max. 996 / Scaling: Performance / I/O Scheduler: cfq)
- SystemApp Remover (good for uninstalling or disabling apps)
- Titanium Backup (good for moving apps to SDcard)
- WiFi File Transfer Pro (for moving data via wifi)
- Fast Reboot Pro
- App Cache Cleaner Pro
- Spotify
- Button Savoir Pro (plus Button Savior HD Theme for moving from one opened app to another)

NOTE 03: With titanium backup pro you can move more apps to /system/app or to SDcard.

NOTE 04: Find attached a workable Gmail for our devices.

7. To speed up the system, with SystemApp Remover uninstall Google Services and disable Google Play Store + DownloadProvider. Later you can enable it again with SystemApp Remover. Also, to speed up the system, buy a hi-speed SD (eg: Sony Class 10 UHS-1/U3 SDXC up to 94MB/s).

Finally, let me mention that last Booxtor's firmwares were deodexed so they are lagger if you compare them with this thread linked. Right now I'm waiting for Booxtor's announced Android Kitkat and I'm going to stick around aforementioned firmwares. Therefore, please do not expect from me subsequent updates for this thread.

Very best regards.

Attached Files
File Type: zip LightningLauncher.zip (1.35 MB, 384 views)
File Type: zip Gmail_v4.5.2.zip (2.40 MB, 359 views)
File Type: zip M96.build.prop.zip (1.4 KB, 364 views)
File Type: zip T68.build.prop.zip (1.3 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by kuskro; 07-15-2015 at 01:51 PM.
kuskro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuskro View Post
for M96 can work pretty awesome if you swap the original build.prop
hi kuskro,
first question: what is the function of the build.prop ? and what exactly do your changes to my M96 build.prop ?

could you adjust the .prop as well to the latest Update (date 2015-01-20) ?
Because yours has written 'M96-user 4.0.4 2014-10-13_16-36_dev_662747e' in it...

thank you for your efforts
eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb00ker View Post
hi kuskro,
first question: what is the function of the build.prop ? and what exactly do your changes to my M96 build.prop ?
Because yours has written 'M96-user 4.0.4 2014-10-13_16-36_dev_662747e' in it...
The build.prop parameters are loaded on boot and modified our devices performance (dalvik, screen refresh, wifi scan refresh, how OS closes apps, etc...)

Next parameters should not work because our M96 cannot accelerate hardware and because OpenGL is not working also, but for a reason I can't explain they enhance our devices performance:
Quote:
debug.sf.hw=1
debug.egl.profiler=1
debug.egl.hw=1
debug.performance.tuning=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
debug.composition.type=gpu
debug.enabletr=true
Now, I cannot test with the last firmware update (2015-02-04) on my M96, sorry, I'm so busy. I tried to work around the 2015-01-20 update but this firmware update was deodexed what lags the system so I prefer prior versions. Anyway I'm looking forward the announced Kitkat update for this March.

Last edited by kuskro; 02-21-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
The build.prop parameters are loaded on boot and modified our devices performance (dalvik, screen refresh, wifi scan refresh, how OS closes apps, etc...)

Next parameters should not work because our M96 cannot accelerate hardware and because OpenGL is not working also, but for a reason I can't explain they enhance our devices performance:

Now, I cannot install the last firmware updates on my M96, sorry, I'm so busy. Anyway I'm looking for the announced Kitkat update.
thanks for this info.
BTW, kuskro, could you help me with this problem:

my storage for APPs on my Afterglow2 and M96 exceeded. I cannot download anymore apps from the Playstore, although there is at least 1-2 GB left on both devices internal space. i don't understand why there is some limitation for apps... is there a method to bypass this limitation?
Old 02-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
kuskro
Connoisseur

The system has several partitions, a tiny one is for data (used for apps installed from Google Play Store and cache) and another tiny for system (used for system files and system apps and cache), as cache is something that rises in parallel with apps used your devices need a minimum free space in both partition and the system warns you about your space limitation despite you have space. The rest of your space is for a third partition for your internal storage.

You can use Titanium Backup Pro for moving apps from /data/app to /system/app or to your internal storage.

Best.

Last edited by kuskro; 02-21-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Advert
Old 02-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have a C67ML now as well as a T68. The C67ML is very much like the AfterGlow 2. The partition where apps are stored is only about 350 MB. Titanium Backup Pro is one very good way to bypass that limitation.

Let me offer you another. Link2SD allows you to move apps to an external SD card. It requires root, of course, and that you create a second partition on your microSD card. Not every app can or should be moved like this, but many can. Then, if you use FolderMount to move data from internal storage to your external SD card, you can gain a lot more space there if you wish. Link2SD requires a bit more setup work than using TiBu, but it might be worth it.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:01 AM   #7
kuskro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I have a C67ML now as well as a T68. The C67ML is very much like the AfterGlow 2. The partition where apps are stored is only about 350 MB. Titanium Backup Pro is one very good way to bypass that limitation.

Let me offer you another. Link2SD allows you to move apps to an external SD card. It requires root, of course, and that you create a second partition on your microSD card. Not every app can or should be moved like this, but many can. Then, if you use FolderMount to move data from internal storage to your external SD card, you can gain a lot more space there if you wish. Link2SD requires a bit more setup work than using TiBu, but it might be worth it.
Thanks downeaster59, I've never tried it on my M96 because in prior occasions, I mean, on my old HTC Desire it slowed down the system and after a month it corrupted the SDcard but I guess from your instructions that Link2sd doesn't let you to work with the external SDcard so you need FolderMount and maybe FolderMount doesn't corrupt the external SDcard.

How long have you been using it? Did you move only libs and cache or also data? Did you format the second partition of your SDcard on ext2 or ext3 or ext4 (I guess kernel only support ext2)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kuskro; 02-22-2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks downeaster59, I've never tried it on my M96 because in prior occasions, I mean, on my old HTC Desire it slowed down the system and after a month it corrupted the SDcard but I guess from your instructions that Link2sd doesn't let you to work with the external SDcard so you need FolderMount and maybe FolderMount doesn't corrupt the external SDcard.

How long have you been using it? Did you move only libs and cache or also data? Did you format the second partition of your SDcard on ext2 or ext3 or ext4 (I guess kernel only support ext2)?

Thanks in advance.

I've used Link2SD and FolderMount for maybe two weeks, so it's still too early to know about corrupting the SD card. So far, it works well. Both apps were way too slow on my T68, but work well with the C67. The C67 has a dual-core processor, but I also wonder if the SD card reader on the T68 is simply too slow. When I ran FolderMount on the T68, it took hours - literally - to link and move the data, and then a long time to load when i rebooted. The C67, again, is much quicker all around.

My second SD card partition is ext2. I use Link2SD for apps, but FolderMount for data. You can use Link2SD for data as well now, but I saw warnings from a couple of other users about trying to link data with Link2SD, so I stuck with FolderMount.

One thing I have found with Link2SD - be careful which apps you link and move to external SD. For example, when I moved Button Savior, it didn't load when I rebooted my device. I had to go to the app drawer and start it manually. When I moved Google Keyboard (after making it my default keyboard), I was back to the standard keyboard the next time I booted my device.

If the app partition on my C67 was 450 MB instead of 350, I wouldn't need Link2SD at all! But so far, if you're a bit careful about what apps you move, it seems to work well.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Anyway I'm looking forward the announced Kitkat update for this March.
I'm looking forward to this too, with some trepidation. My understanding for Kit-kat 4.4 is that on the SD card apps can only write to files and folders that they have created or have taken ownership of. I'm sure Onyx has thought of this but it might affect other apps we install. You'll need apps like Link2SD and FolderMount to make them work properly. I don't think the average user has patience for this.

BTW, I've been using FolderMount for months on my phone and have had not corruption, FWIW.

As far as most of these enhancements go, I have not seen any need to do this. I'm not saying it's not useful, it's just that for a typical user I don't see the need. Except for being a power user I think my use case is typical of most users.
  • I use my T68 primarily as a reader. I think the built in reader apps are pretty good.
  • I want to be able to access some other apps from it though. These include
    • Email
    • Web browser
    • Evernote
    • Olive Tree Bible app
    • Calendar
  • If I wanted to use it much more I would get a tablet or laptop.

I must not be using ezPDF properly. I've never thought much of it. I'll have to take a look at it again, based on your recommendation.

I did install the google keyboard which is a much better keyboard, especially for an eink device.

I liked Lightning browser but like the feature of offline reading of the built in browser.

As far as Lightning Launcher goes, I've already tried and purchased enough launchers. That's a never ending chase and I'm not spending another red cent on another me too app That being said, I am writing my own launcher based on the features I like from some of the other launchers I've used. And I don't expect anybody's reaction to be any different than mine.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard

Yes, we like upgrades as a rule - but will KitKat offer Onyx device users much that isn't already available with ICS (T68) or Jellybean (C67/AfterGlow 2)? Will it create more issues in the process? We'll stay tuned. I'm hoping that KitKat will be an asset for us.

Like you, Jim, I have certain specific uses for an Android E-Ink device. Reading, mainly - I have grown to like OnyxReader more than the other choices (or even Moon) and use it almost all the time for eBooks. Besides eBooks, I use my device for the Logos Bible app (my #1 motivation in looking for an Android E-Ink device), Instapaper, and a handful of similar apps.

I'm perfectly happy with the default launcher, but I understand the desire to experiment and tweak. One launcher I did try is the old Zeam Launcher, because it is minimalist and sparing in using resources. It worked fine, but I found no advantage to it as opposed to the default launcher. It's also free, though it is no longer being developed.

Google Keyboard is great on these E-Ink devices. I definitely recommend it.

For me, the default browser is fine for what I use it for.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
kuskro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb00ker View Post
hi kuskro,

thank you for your efforts
Hi eb00ker, I want to let you know that I've just tried the last update 2015-02-04 on my M96 and the tweaks mentioned on this thread open post are workable over this update but I still think "20141013 update" is the best.

Also I tried Link2sd and it slows down the system.

Best.

Last edited by kuskro; 02-25-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hi eb00ker, I want to let you know that I've just tried the last update 2015-02-04 on my M96 and the tweaks mentioned on this thread open post are workable over this update but I still think "20141013 update" is the best.

Also I tried Link2sd and it slows down the system.

Best.
Hello kuskro,
thanks for checking it out! I did the same. I've tried your edited .prop in combination with lightning browser and the latest booxtor firmware.

All in all, I've noticed that since the latest updates our system became incredible sluggish... you can experience this especially while panning and zooming

So I gave it a try and I downgraded my firmware vers. '2015-01-20' to your recommended '20141013', exchanged your modified .prop, and surprisingly I'm experiencing huge performance improvements with ADW.Launcher

The only flaw i could find so far is that there isn't any constant refresh of the screen implemented as seen since the latest updates.

is there a way to fix this?

regards
Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #13
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
4. With a CPU manager (I use Antutu CPU Master Pro) set:
-Within "Main" tag: Min. 996 / Max. 996 / Scaling: Ondemand / Set on boot (checked).
-For "Screen Off" profile: Max. freq. 396 / Min. freq. 396 / Scaling model: powersave.
-For "Low Battery" profile: Battery lower than 99% / Min. freq. 996 / Max. freq. 996 / Scaling model: ondemand.
-Within "Advanced" settings, change the I/O Scheduler to "CFQ" and "Set on boot" checked. (NOTE: the best I/O Scheduler for M96 is "Deadline").
Hi Kuskro. I think that your configuration is very interesting, but i don't understand one thing: Why have you set "Main" with Min. 996 and "Low Battery" with "Battery lower than 99% / Min. freq. 996": in this way will the cpu always work with max frequency? Are there some risk of overheating of the cpu in this way?
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
kuskro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Hi Kuskro. I think that your configuration is very interesting, but i don't understand one thing: Why have you set "Main" with Min. 996 and "Low Battery" with "Battery lower than 99% / Min. freq. 996": in this way will the cpu always work with max frequency? Are there some risk of overheating of the cpu in this way?
We use this preset to act as a switcher between screen on and off. It won't overheat your cpu, in fact the default preset is fixed on 996 always.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
We use this preset to act as a switcher between screen on and off. It won't overheat your cpu, in fact the default preset is fixed on 996 always.
Thanks a lot for your fast answer!
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote