Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 10:35 PM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Without worrying about the format, have you checked to see which sites carry more of the types of romance novels you're interested in reading? Unless you tend to re-read them or loan them out a lot, is it really important to be able to transfer them to another format?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
How complicated is the converting programs? I remember reading somewhere (not sure if it was here) that for the Sony you should go with Lit files because those were the easiest to convert, but is that correct?
Quite right... search for the ConvertLIT thread here and use google to find and download the problem. The readme will get you started. That and calibre makes converting LITs to LRF for Sony pretty easy.

Yes, you can convert Mobi to LRF, but removing DRM from them is not so easy to do and you may need multiple versions of hard to find stuff depending on the mobi versions, etc.

Quote:
I think I'll hold off for now and see either what the Astak Lite will be like, although the first generation thing still makes me nervous. Or for the Sony to go on sale again. (We'll see how long that self-control lasts...)
THe Sony is about $270... Walmart has it for the price. I doubt it will go down much lower than that to often.

Quote:
Since there are couple of books available for free over at Fictionwise, would it be possible to try to convert some and see how it goes without having a reader to put them on? If so, would I be able to see if it works without a reader?
Yes, go for it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 AM   #33
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

Mobi is looking like the easiest for me to get and not have to worry about converting. I've looked at the Cybook more though, and I like the Sony better in most aspects. Besides, with shipping, the Cybook is $110 more than the Sony, more if it ends up going on sale again, and I would still have to buy a cover.
Just a note if you go with the SONY PRS-505 MOBI format will no longer be the format of choice.

Quote:

How complicated is the converting programs? I remember reading somewhere (not sure if it was here) that for the Sony you should go with Lit files because those were the easiest to convert, but is that correct? How are the Mobis (mobies?)? If someone (not me, of course), was to remove the DRMs, which would be the easiest?
For me converting was not very hard, esp. with the Calibre tool. You can download tons of free (PB) books at manybooks.net and FeedBooks.com. To give the conversion a try.
I've had good experience with the MOBI format.

Below is a link which lists the best formats for the SONY device.

Calibre FAQ on formats

Quote:
Sorry for the continuous questions! I appreciate the replies and how nice you guys are though. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...like I just swallowed a puppy.

Last edited by =X=; 06-01-2008 at 04:23 AM. Reason: edit sentence
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #34
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
Made my decision!

So, I was going to ponder it for a while, though I kept coming back to the Sony - I like the Sony. If it read Mobi I think it would have been a done deal, but you know, trying to be a good girl and do my research and resist the urge of I want it and I want it now...

But I have been looking up Sony every day both on their website (hoping for the random price drop that was for such a limited time) and on campusi.com. Well, Amazon Marketplace had some good ones, and while I was looking at it right before my eyes someone dropped their price. (Not even sure why I went back to the page I had already looked at, because otherwise I would have missed it. Must have been meant to be. )

The new price? $199. With expedited shipping (well, I want it NOW), $213.

For that I'll make the leap.

Thanks one and all for your advice, help, and patience with the 500 questions or so I've had. I'm sure you'll see my little confused self again puzzling over conversion and all that good stuff.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #35
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Alright, I have one more question (already).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Without worrying about the format, have you checked to see which sites carry more of the types of romance novels you're interested in reading? Unless you tend to re-read them or loan them out a lot, is it really important to be able to transfer them to another format?
I do actually re-read my favorite books a lot. The one that I've looked up as a judge of formats when I've been looking at the sites is one that I own in paper and have read at least five times. I can also watch a good movie over and over again, even if I can recite every line for you. As far as the novels go, if I really like the story I want to re-live it every so often.

Anyway, the point of that: so I should go with Lit files, but when there are several formats available (i.e. some of them on Fictionwise), should I buy the Sony version, or the Lit version and convert it as well? The purpose being should I end up with a different type of reader years down the road which would work better for me to convert things over to it - all of them being Lit, or would would a combo of Lit and Sony equally be a pain in the butt?

So excited for my reader! (psst...as of writing this the seller has one up in both colors for the same price on Amazon if you were looking...I must say I love the irony of buying my Sony off of Amazon)
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #36
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
so I should go with Lit files, but when there are several formats available (i.e. some of them on Fictionwise), should I buy the Sony version, or the Lit version and convert it as well?
The ebooks on FictionWise that include Sony are DRM-free "multiformat", and this means that you buy it once and download as many formats as you want. This is typically (but not always) the case with DRM-free ebooks, because it is the DRM which costs money for every new format. If FictionWise stays in business then you can always download a new format for previous purchases, but I suggest saving a LIT copy on your PC just in case because this is the easiest to convert to other formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The new price? $199. With expedited shipping (well, I want it NOW), $213.
Was that for a new 505, a new 500 or a used 500/505? Wasn't sure from your post.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #38
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Was that for a new 505, a new 500 or a used 500/505? Wasn't sure from your post.

BOb
It must be a 500, I don't think you can get the 505 for $199 yet (unless you apply for the Sony credit card and get the $100 discount).
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #39
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Oh, and I meant to mention that romance tends to be my fiction of choice (junk food for the brain and all), but I like non-fictions as well. I usually only have the extra brain power for romances during the school year, especially considering the limited reading time I have, but I go a bit crazy with the non-fictions once my brain has fully recovered.
I'm an avid romance novel reader myself; I have the Sony 505 and get 90% of mine books from the Sony site. I also get about 8% from eHarlequin ebook site and the other 2% from Microsoft Lit ebook site (I convert the 10% by converting with Calibre or BD). I've had my reader since December 4th and I've only been unable to find 2 books in e-format from one of my favorite authors (they were books written in the 90's and re-released last month). The Sony reader has been a great choice!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 AM   #40
MidknytOwl
Zealot

Nope, it was a brand new 505 from a person selling it on the Amazon Marketplace. The seller had it for $250, and I navigated away from the page to look at I think someone's feedback, and when I went back to the product page they had dropped the price to $199. See, it was meant to be.

Lilly, glad you've had such a good experience with it. Romance novels, here I come.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #41
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Alright, I have one more question (already).

Anyway, the point of that: so I should go with Lit files, but when there are several formats available (i.e. some of them on Fictionwise), should I buy the Sony version, or the Lit version and convert it as well?
Good question, hopefully I can confuse you even more, err. I mean help clarify your questions

I've gone back in forth on this issue myself. Being inherently efficient (read lazy) I tend to go with the least effort approach. Problem lies that I am picky about my book formats I find I don't like the format most LRF are published with (except for SONY's Bookstore books). The fonts are too large and the borders too thick. So I often find myself downloading the mobi content and converting it to LRF.

I wish there was and LRF to LRF tool out there that would allow me to easily reformat the book fonts.

NOTE: I chose MOBI for three reasons. I find more books I'm interested in that format, Calibe seems to convert these files better than the LIT and last I have a SmartPhone so I can share the files across devices.

Quote:
The purpose being should I end up with a different type of reader years down the road which would work better for me to convert things over to it - all of them being Lit, or would would a combo of Lit and Sony equally be a pain in the butt?
If your concern is is file format compatibility, you have nothing to worry about with LRF files. The file format is well known and there are tools that can convert this file to other formats.
The only reason I do not chose LRF files is for the reasons listed above.

__
Happy
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-02-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: corrected typo
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #42
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
Quote:
The good news is that you will find a large selection of Romance books out there. Some statistics came out some short time ago that stated romance books had one of the larger market sectors for eBooks. Finding romance books will not be an problem.
But the books that are out there might not be the ones you want... If you're into glomming back lists of single title authors, there's not much out there unless the author is currently really hot. If they're not hot at the moment, you either won't find any of their backlist past a few years, or if you do, it will be in strange icky formats.

On the otherhand, if category is your thing, go for it.

Also - if you're into the whole book-swapping aspect of romance reading culture, e-books are currently not so good - DRM gets in the way!
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #43
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
- continuing from my last post ...

Also be aware that a huge proportion of the romance that's out there in ebook format is erotic romance or para-normals.
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote