Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #46
Xni
Xni began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I will provide a newer update and flash tool (for case like yours) next week.
You can also try to use available flash tool: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...17d0a_user.zip
Since my windows computer isn't able to recognize the ereader connected in a USB port, maybe I also need some kind of a windows device driver to be installed, because the flash tool declares a "No Device Connected" state.

---

However, thanks for your help
Xni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #47
Xni

Hi all, my reader still doesn't work.

I tried the flash tool on a Windows7 pro and on an inner XP-Mode virtual Machine.

The strange thing is that in the availble USB devices I actually find also a shared "Android" device, but unfortunatelly I'm not able to interact with it, I expected some kind of a drive, and I actually find in the host shared drives a E: and F: drives, \\tsclent\E and \\tsclient\F.

I'm sure that both the "drives" refer to the reader because they appear just when I connect the cable, the problem is that for both the drives the peripheral is in a "not ready state", so the flash tool isn't able to "see" the device.

Maybe a new specific thread should be opened, but I expect my experience could be useful to some other user

Last edited by Xni; 08-31-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: some mistake with english ...
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #48
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
I've seen that with USB Debugging on, the M96 (internal) SDCard & the (external) ExtSD do not show up in Windows, although the device itself is visible when you go to Safely remove hardware.

When I turn off USB Debugging, both the internal & external storage is mapped as different drives & shows up in (My) Computer.

Try whether this works for you.

Jp

Last edited by japinder; 09-03-2014 at 06:03 AM.
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #49
Xni

My problem is that my M96 nearly seems dead ...

When I turn it on, it just shows the initial "splash" screen (BOOX Reader) and it doesn't allow any setting change, so USB debugging cannot be changed in any manner.

Maybe it could exist something like a key combination (or anything similar) to change the reader's state, but I don't know it (I'm not even sure it exists anything like that).

Moreover, the computer is able to see the device (Android), and it also shows two "drives" (E: and F, but those two drives are greyed (in Windows) and I'm not allowed to interact with them
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #50
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
I will provide a newer update and flash tool (for case like yours) next week.
You can also try to use available flash tool: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...17d0a_user.zip
Hi Booxtor,

Could you please update the new firmware version from 8th Aug in the 1st post/OP of the thread 'M96 + T68. Updates and more ...'.

That thread still contains the link to the update from 21st July. No further updates since.

Thanks,
Jp

Last edited by japinder; 09-03-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #51
japinder
jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xni View Post
My problem is that my M96 nearly seems dead ...

When I turn it on, it just shows the initial "splash" screen (BOOX Reader) and it doesn't allow any setting change, so USB debugging cannot be changed in any manner.

Maybe it could exist something like a key combination (or anything similar) to change the reader's state, but I don't know it (I'm not even sure it exists anything like that).

Moreover, the computer is able to see the device (Android), and it also shows two "drives" (E: and F, but those two drives are greyed (in Windows) and I'm not allowed to interact with them
Apologies, I thought you were talking about the internal/external storage not showing up when connected to the PC.

Since you ARE able to see the E/F drives when you connect the M96 to your PC, it means that the USB Debugging setting is currently off.

Did you try to reset the M96? As per the manual:

"Press the power button for 8-10 seconds to reset your device ,
then press it quickly to restart"

If it doesn't work, then we need to find out the button combination to boot to recovery or to fastboot in order to recover it. Booxtor should be able to help with that.

You're able to boot the device & its showing the logo, so the hardware itself seems okay, maybe just some software level corruption which should be solved by flashing the firmware again.

Last edited by japinder; 09-03-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #52
Xni

Hi japinder,
I actually expect it's just a stupid software problem, and I'm confident there's some bit of information I still need to fix this problem.

I tried many times the reset procedure, starting both with the device on (blue led on) and off (no led), but it doesn't seem to be working. In the windows device manager the two drives show 0 disk capacity and 0 allocated space.

What I hope is that the next flash tool is able to overcome this problem, maybe with a low level function that overrides the "Windows" perceptions.

Also, with a linux (ubuntu) version of the flash tool maybe it could be easier to fix ...

I'm still in confident wait

andrea (xni)
Old 09-03-2014, 02:20 AM   #53
Xni

Hi all,
I found how to force the reread of the update; it simply requires to start the system keeping pressed the "back" pushbutton, after the reader turns on (it refreshes the screen), you just need to depress the "back" and then push it again for some second (meanwhile you have to keep the power button pressed): at this point the device forces the update.

My problem is that, as per one of the preceding posts, I copied the "delinquent" update file in the device "disk", and not in the SD (because the update with the external SD wasn't able to do its job).

I tried to forse the update also with a "good" update pack on the eternal SD, but I'm afraid the firmware gives the "internal" storage a priority for the update operation: it seems to me that there should be some stronger flash utility, capable of override the Windows problems and this latter android problem.

Any advice more ?

andrea

----------------------------------

Hi all, I don't want to bother you anymore with my individual problems, but since my issue is now over, I'm glad to share the procedure I followed:

1) Since my vendor has been on holidays, for a while I didn't have any conterpart to talk with about my "broken" reader. I started a search in the forum and found a post (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=mfgtool2) where a similar problem was addressed on a different reader, the ONIX T68
2) I tried to follow the steps that booxtor explained us, and actually it worked fine !

@Japinder: we have one more trick to trace on your wiki: we can set a "download mode" on the M96 simply pressing both pageup/pagedown and power button (that's the key combination we craved some week ago ... :-) )

Lesson learned: a forum is a mine of information, before getting depressed or discouraged it's always better to have a look for similar problem on even different devices, of the same brand or at least based on the same or similar hardware and/or operating system platform.

Thanks everybody for the help !

andrea (xni)

Last edited by Xni; 09-18-2014 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Problem solved :-)
Old 09-03-2014, 03:26 AM   #54
japinder
jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xni View Post
Hi all,
I found how to force the reread of the update; it simply requires to start the system keeping pressed the "back" pushbutton, after the reader turns on (it refreshes the screen), you just need to depress the "back" and then push it again for some second (meanwhile you have to keep the power button pressed): at this point the device forces the update.

My problem is that, as per one of the preceding posts, I copied the "delinquent" update file in the device "disk", and not in the SD (because the update with the external SD wasn't able to do its job).

I tried to forse the update also with a "good" update pack on the eternal SD, but I'm afraid the firmware gives the "internal" storage a priority for the update operation: it seems to me that there should be some stronger flash utility, capable of override the Windows problems and this latter android problem.

Any advice more ?

andrea
Hi Andrea,

Actually, whether you ask the device to update from cloud, or from local storage, once the update.zip file is downloaded to internal 'SDCard' or external 'extSD', the ereader will always copy the file to '/cache'. Once the ereader reboots to complete the update, the update will be processed from '/cache'.

So your having copied the 'delinquent' update.zip to internal or external storage doesn't really matter. What matters is, at least in this method (forcing an update via 'back' button) is the 'delinquency' of the file in '/cache', since that's where the ereader is going to process it from.

That's why, in the current situation, we need to find the button combination, which will allow us to boot the ereader into recovery, so that we can manually specify the zip file to be flashed.

Hi Booxtor,

Could you help out please.

We need to find the button combination, which will allow us to boot the M96 into recovery, so that Andrea (Xni) can flash the update.zip file to recover the M96. Thanks.

Last edited by japinder; 09-03-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #55
japinder
jp

Arrow M96 recovery process. For troubleshooting, please follow wiki or create new thread

Actually, we don't need the procedure to enter into recovery. Its already given by Andrea (XNI) in post #53 above.

M96 recovery process:
  1. Press both Power + Back buttons & hold till the LED color changes from orange to purple (orange + blue).
  2. Then release 'Power', but keep 'Back' pressed till 'BOOX Reader' logo shows up or when the LED color changes to blue (orange goes out).
  3. Now release 'Back' as well.
  4. In the recovery options that show up, press 'Back' again to highlight the second option 'apply update from external storage' & press the D-pad to select it.
  5. Press 'Back' to highlight the zip file from the (external) SDCard & press the D-pad to select it.
  6. It will show you '-- Install /sdcard ...' for a minute or so. Don't be frightened, or disheartened.
  7. After a while it will show you something like this:
    • Finding update package...
    • Opening update package...
    • Verifying update package...
    • Installing update package...
    • Checking Update Package Matching
    • Done Package Matching
    • Writing Bootloader...
    • Writing Logo...
    • Writing boot image.
    • Extracting boot image.
    • Extracting system image...
    • Writing system partition...
    • Update from SDCard complete.
  8. At last it will highlight 'reboot system now'. Just press the D-pad to select. (If you're using the version 1.6 from Jul 21st, it will reboot on its own, without any selection required from your end)
  9. Voila!
Tested working on my M96. I installed the software versions from 21st Jul, 8th Aug & 21st Aug by turn using this method & confirmed the installation by checking the About section.

Finally, I think I've abused this thread enough. I've almost hijacked this thread originally started for the UI translation & made it into a loose documentary for a troubleshooting session.

I've found an existing wiki on M96 (link in my signature below) & I'll add all this information to it.

The above process should work, if not, lets just start a new thread & take it over from there.

Last edited by japinder; 09-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #56
mmmrqs
mmmrqs began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Great!

Is there anybody, who'd like to join us and help to translate in other languages?
We have a lot of customers from Netherlands, France, Czech Republic, Denmark, Slovenia, Portugal. But also users from Baltic countries, Romania, Ukraine, Korea, Israel, Japan, Arabic speaking countries (and of course other countries) are very welcome too. Come on guys! Don't be shy Join to our community
Yes, I will make it for Brazilian portuguese. I just need a couple of days since there are some 400 expressions in there

cheers.
mmmrqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #57
mmmrqs

Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post
Actually, we don't need the procedure to enter into recovery. Its already given by Andrea (XNI) in post #53 above.

M96 recovery process:
The above process should work, if not, lets just start a new thread & take it over from there.
Thank you for these instructions. I had to follow this since mine was always loading the update.zip from cache, I guess. This way I was able to re-install the august firmware.

cheers.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #58
japinder
jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmrqs View Post
Thank you for these instructions. I had to follow this since mine was always loading the update.zip from cache, I guess. This way I was able to re-install the august firmware.

cheers.
Glad to be of assistance.

I've added this information to the M96 wiki so all information is available for everyone to access at one place:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M96
Old 09-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #59
mmmrqs

Here it is. I have done the UI translation for Portuguese (Brazilian). As I've been around computing for the past 30 years I hope to have gotten a good approximation on how to correctly express the many local idioms in the most appropriate way, however I noticed that taking the words and phrases out of context is kind of a challenge to figure out how they are going to show up in the UI later on.

Anyway, I can make adjustments later to make them fit better if necessary.

Please let me know what else can I do to help with this. Hummm, it seems I do not know how to have the file attached in here, so I'm going to send it out to booxtor's mail box at gmail. Found it (in advanced editing mode)

Cheers.

(Edit) Note: By the way, it would be great if the forum editor allowed strike through text font, so I could strike the piece of texts that wouldn't apply anymore like the one I changed to red italics above. This way I could left references on so other people could take them as hints to their own issues. -- SOLVED: See message below (Thanks eschwartz!!)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Portugues-Brasil-strings-xml.zip (6.2 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by mmmrqs; 10-12-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #60
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmrqs View Post
(Edit) Note: By the way, it would be great if the forum editor allowed strike through text font, so I could strike the piece of texts that wouldn't apply anymore like the one I changed to red italics above. This way I could left references on so other people could take them as hints to their own issues.
It is not in the editing toolbar, but you can use [STRIKE]sometext[/STRIKE]
sometext

See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

For the full list of supportd BBCode. (including "noparse" which I used to show the strike tags instead of striking the text.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote