Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #16
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Paola, thank you for testing. Please don't continue testing the old version. I have a new version. I will try to upload it this evening.

Quote:
1. set rotation to 90 gives landscape mode (not 180)
Intended behaviour was that if you tap on "set rotation 90" the portrait mode will be activated and the text changes to "set rotation 180". The text describes the command that will be executed, rather than the current state. I think this corresponds to what you are reporting. You are right, the text is ambiguous. Anyway, I did it in another way in the new version

Quote:
2. calling "X" from kobo menu 2 hangs the reader (but I guess this is normal)
This is solved in the new version.

Quote:
3. changing the sort order of books in "books" view in the library hangs the reader; calling the library "books" sometimes hangs the reader;
Did not happen to me yet with the new version. I don't think I tried changing the sort order in the old version. I remember that with 2.6.1, when I copied a punch of books (200 or so) to the reader, I had problems using the books view of the library. But after some time everything went smooth. I thought that this might be connected to some problems with the creation of the cover images. Maybe this is also happening in your case. But I don't know. It could also be on account of how the old version interacts with the file monitor [and Kobo launcher] (I have changed this in the new version).

Quote:
4. on the mini, the landscape mode is not displayed correctly (some rows are only partially visible). However kepubs read beautifully, and so do footnotes. some screenshots are attached.
This is the same on the Touch. The graphical interface is not designed to be use in landscape. One could possibly improve this a little by modifying libnickel, but one would have to do this for every new update of the FW. Thank you for the screenshots.

Quote:
5. uninstalling: after the disconnection there was a quick reboot, and then the standard home screen appeared.
I am not sure about the quick reboot. There should have been a short "processing content". The rest is as expected.

Quote:
Tried to browse the library, and the reader hung;
This is possibly not directly connected to the unistall process, but related to what you describe in point 3.

Quote:
soft reset, and then yyour menu reappeared. I "installed the update", the device restarted, and all seems to be working fine -
This how it is designed. For any update process to start, you have to restart the device. I did it in this way, because otherwise in order to control the installation of updates, I would also need to insert a menu after each usb disconnection.

Quote:
however the "exit" png file does not disappear.
I do not remove anything that is accessible on the user partition. The user has to delete the exit.png and .kobo/kbmenu [and has the chance to preserve some files she is interested in, eg. bash scripts she has modified in order to customize the submenu]. (This will not change with the new version)

Thank you again for testing.

Last edited by tshering; 08-23-2013 at 05:19 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I am not sure about the quick reboot. There should have been a short "processing content". The rest is as expected.
ah, so my misinterpretation of the screen, it did what you describe. Looking forward to the new version :-)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have updated new versions of kobomenu and kbmessage in the first post; and of the example application in the second post (kbmenuOnStart03.zip).
If you are the one who downloaded kbmenuOnStart02.zip please download kbmenuOnStart03.zip and install it [only rcS has changed], in order to prevent unwished FW updates effectively.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #19
Don_Karnage
Enthusiast
Don_Karnage began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360 , kobo glo
i just updated the kb03 , it was working fine , then i tryed to install the kobo-nightmode_build8.zip and no starting screen , no computer access, only factory reset helped ^^
thanks for your nice tools.
Don_Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
tshering
Wizard

Don_Karnage,
I am sorry that you had to factory reset your device. Immediately after reading your post, I installed kobo-nightmode_build8.zip to see what is happening. The installation went smooth and the night mode is working. I have no idea what happend to your device. Could you give more details? You copied the KoboRoot.tgz of the nightmode to .kobo, then you ejected the reader; the device showed the home screen ..

Last edited by tshering; 08-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
Don_Karnage
Enthusiast

yes .. i did all as usual ,just i had to launch the update from the onstart menu.
i tried again firmware 8.1 , fmon ,mz_koboreaderpatch_06, kbmenu 3 , then after installing nightmode8 , i had to login again .... and without sucess ....factory reset
then again in a different order , finally after kbmenu i put mz_koboreaderpatch_06 and ...again stuck
at this point i was thinking maybe my sd card is damaged .... so i installed all without fbmenu3 ....and since , i have no problem
Old 08-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Karnage View Post
yes .. i did all as usual ,just i had to launch the update from the onstart menu.
i tried again firmware 8.1 , fmon ,mz_koboreaderpatch_06, kbmenu 3 , then after installing nightmode8 , i had to login again .... and without sucess ....factory reset
then again in a different order , finally after kbmenu i put mz_koboreaderpatch_06 and ...again stuck
at this point i was thinking maybe my sd card is damaged .... so i installed all without fbmenu3 ....and since , i have no problem
I have the same setting as you, with the exception of mz_koboreaderpatch_06. I never looked at the koboreaderpatch, but cannot imagine that this makes the difference. Does the patch consist of anything else than libnickel.so.1.0.0?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
Don_Karnage
Enthusiast

i tried again after a factory reset ; firmware 8.1 , fmon , kbmenu 3, nightmode8 .
nightmod dont work but the rest is working .
Old 08-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Karnage View Post
nightmod dont work but the rest is working .
Thank you for trying again!
With the standard installation of the nightmode only the reader with the original settings (available via exit) has access to it. This should already work now.
I am now preparing some additions for upload. One will concern the nightmode.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
tshering
Wizard

In the second post of this thread, you can find some additions to kbmenuOnStart03. They concern Yoq's Nightmode hack, and Sergey's KoboLauncher.
Spoiler:
1) Copy startreader.sh to .kobo\kbmenu\onstart
This will make Yoq's night mode hack work for nickel when started by "start kobo reader", provided the night mode is installed.

2) Copy KoboLauncher.sh and notepad.sh to .kobo\kbmenu\scripts
This will make the Kobo Launcher and notepad [of the Kobo Launcher] accessible from "submenu scripts". Use this only, if Kobo Launcher is installed.

Last edited by tshering; 10-30-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #26
tshering
Wizard

Since I mentioned the example application in another thread today, I would like to say that I am testing now a newer version and will upload it soon. Therefore, I discourage anybody from installing the older version at this point. I add an image of the first screen of the new version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobostarter01.png
Views:	403
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	117979  

Last edited by tshering; 01-15-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #27
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I add an image of the first screen of the new version.
it looks really cute!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote