Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2017, 05:57 AM   #271
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacoi View Post
Hi! Can anybody tell me how to use these files: "libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt" and "nickel.txt" from this post. I'm trying to make my Kobo GLo HD can display Vietnamese title and also table of content. I got "patch_kobo_3.12.1.zip" on my computer but there is no .txt file, only .patch
Hi, gacoi,

the .txt files are in the subfolder 3.12.1_source. I guess you are aware that you have to apply the patch against the files of firmware 3.12.1 (which is rather outdated), and that your device must be running on FW 3.12.1 (if not the it will possibly brick your device).
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:50 AM   #272
gacoi
gacoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Hi, gacoi,

the .txt files are in the subfolder 3.12.1_source. I guess you are aware that you have to apply the patch against the files of firmware 3.12.1 (which is rather outdated), and that your device must be running on FW 3.12.1 (if not the it will possibly brick your device).
Yep, I'll downgrade my device to 3.12.1 because that is the only way I can find. Please help.

Last edited by gacoi; 01-31-2017 at 03:54 AM.
gacoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #273
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacoi View Post
Yep, I'll downgrade my device to 3.12.1 because that is the only way I can find. Please help.
May be here is an easier way to achieve what you want. See the threads Help me about Font (start with post #11) and nickel GUI not displaying certain characters. If you want to try this use the file uploaded to this post. But before you do that read the descriptions in the "nickel GUI not displaying certain characters" thread, so that you know what is happening.

Last edited by tshering; 01-31-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #274
tshering
Wizard

Modification for Bad Eyes FW 4.2.8432

You can use the package of Modification for Bad Eyes FW 4.2.8283.
Download it anew and rename the folder to KBPatcher16_4.2.8432_inc30 to avoid confusion with the files for FW 4.2.8283.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #275
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Patch Virgin/Kobo Newbie here and I'm having trouble getting this patch sorted out for my Kobo H2O which is running firmware version 4.3.8842. I downloaded KBPatcher16_4.2.8283_inc30.zip but there are no instructions with it and the directions at the start of this thread make no sense to me. I figured things out to the point of dropping the KoboRoot.tgz onto the 4_plus_aurahd_h2o.bat file but when it ran it said it could not find position of the patch Dictionary (font chosen by software) and quit on me. What does this mean and how do I fix it? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #276
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
Patch Virgin/Kobo Newbie here and I'm having trouble getting this patch sorted out for my Kobo H2O which is running firmware version 4.3.8842. I downloaded KBPatcher16_4.2.8283_inc30.zip but there are no instructions with it and the directions at the start of this thread make no sense to me. I figured things out to the point of dropping the KoboRoot.tgz onto the 4_plus_aurahd_h2o.bat file but when it ran it said it could not find position of the patch Dictionary (font chosen by software) and quit on me. What does this mean and how do I fix it? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.
There were some changes in the last FW. I will post a new patch package.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #277
tshering
Wizard

Modification for Bad Eyes FW 4.3.8842

Handle as you did with the two or three last packages.

Edit: I uploaded an updated version. The font size in some further elements has been increased; I have also included GeoffR's patch to enable/disable the new home screen. The home screen patch itself is disabled by default, you can find it in libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt.

Edit 2: KBPatcher16_4.3.8842_inc30_v02plus.zip does basically the same as KBPatcher16_4.3.8842_inc30_v02.zip does. The only difference is that it adds to the new KoboRoot.tgz also the unchanged files libadobe.so and librmsdk.so.1.0.0. The reason for doing this is that you can use the newly created KoboRoot.tgz as input file for GeoffR's patcher. The workflow looks like this:
  1. copy kobo-update-4.3.8842.zip to 4_plus_source
  2. start the patch by double-clicking 4_plus_aurahd_h2o.bat (or another bat-file in accordance with your device model)
  3. copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz to 4.3.8842_source
  4. double-click 4.3.8842.bat
  5. copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo of your device
Note: Points 1 and 2 refer to the bad eyes patcher; points 3 and 4 to GeoffR's patcher.

If you run GeoffR's patcher under linux, steps 3 and 4 look different:
  • 3. zip the KoboRoot.tgz file that has been created in step 2, and name the resulting zip file kobo-update-4.3.8842.zip;copy this zip file to 4.3.8842_source
  • 4. cd to the directory where 4.3.8842.sh is located and ./4.3.8842.sh.
Be aware that depending on which patches you enable, the tools in step 2 and 4 might try to write to the same addresses. This will result in an error message and no KoboRoot.tgz will be created. If this happens you have to identify the culprit patch and disable it.

Windows user: Do not use the copy of GeoffR's patch if you already used it. Or - if you want to keep it because you edited the patch files, you have to remove kobo-update-4.3.8842.zip, KoboRoot.tgz, KoboRoot.tar, libadobe.so, libnickel.so, librmsdk.so.1.0.0, and nickel from the 4.3.8842_source folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher16_4.3.8842_inc30_v02.zip (548.7 KB, 242 views)
File Type: zip KBPatcher16_4.3.8842_inc30_v02plus.zip (549.3 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by tshering; 03-03-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #278
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that one ran perfectly and gave me a KoboRoot.tgz in the target folder. This new KoboRoot is what I must install on my reader, yes?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 AM   #279
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Handle as you did with the two or three last packages.
Thanks, tshering, this patch is always very useful to me.
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:54 AM   #280
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, that one ran perfectly and gave me a KoboRoot.tgz in the target folder. This new KoboRoot is what I must install on my reader, yes?
You are right.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:01 AM   #281
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoky View Post
Thanks, tshering, this patch is always very useful to me.
Thank you for telling. I was reluctant to upload the patch for FW 4.3.8842. I expect that some work is needed because of the new home screen. But I cannot spend time on that right now. I therefore upload the otherwise unchanged css blocks in patch format, just in case they might be useful to somebody.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4.3.8842_css.zip (70.9 KB, 190 views)
Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #282
Byrdie
Walking Library

Thank you, I have it running and it makes quite a difference. So much better than squinting and struggling and maybe having to go find a fully-sighted person to help me find the books on my reader. Just sent some karma your way. :-)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #283
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you, I have it running and it makes quite a difference. So much better than squinting and struggling and maybe having to go find a fully-sighted person to help me find the books on my reader. Just sent some karma your way. :-)
I am glad you like it. Since I saw that this patch is still important for some people, I uploaded an updated version. Have a look at the difference in the home screen (left is with the old patch/no patch, right is with the updated version of the patch).

As for your description in #275 of how you run the patch, I think this is not exactly what you did. Just to be on the safe side, this is how you do it.
  1. copy kobo-update-4.3.8842.zip into the folder 4_plus_source
  2. double-click 4_plus_aurahd_h2o.bat
  3. copy the file KoboRoot.tgz that you can find in the folder 4_plus_aurahd_h2o.bat to .kobo of your device

at 1) alternatively, you can copy the original KoboRoot.tgz, or KoboRoot.tar, or nickel and libnickel.so.1.0.0 to the folder 4_plus_source.

You can also change things (for instance enabling or disabling individual patches) by editing nickel.txt and libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt, which are located in the folder 4_plus_source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_home.png
Views:	383
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	155379  

Last edited by tshering; 03-01-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #284
Byrdie
Walking Library

New patch looks even better. And now that I am armed with proper instructions, I am off to try it. Thanks ever so much.

Edit: Back again. This time it was even easier to do and the whole process went perfectly. Ever so much better, I can honestly say without your work on this I'd probably be exchanging my Kobo for a Kindle so I could at least have readable menus via the new TTS dongle setup they have. But alas Kindles are not as flexible and I do love my H20 which is a bigger size than the Paperwhite. New patch is terrific. Thank you and may good things keep coming your way. :-)

Last edited by Byrdie; 03-01-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Progress Update.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #285
makara
Connoisseur
makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: KA1, KLH2O, Oasis 3
tshering
I put your patch, but removes all other patches, which I had put
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283903
compre they do not work, or one or the other. How can I fix it?
makara is offline   Reply With Quote