Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #181
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Dear tshering,

While upgrading my Glo to FW 3.17.3, I tried to combine the patches of GeoffR's & the Mod for Bad Eyes.

As per your suggestions in post #144, I first patched the FW with GeoffR's patch, and copied the KoboRoot.tgz (size 21891 kb) produced, at the source folder of mod for bad eyes.

On running the 3.17.3.bat file, It resulted in error, and I got a message at command prompt saying:

Cannot find or extract "nickel"
Did you copy kobo-update-x.x.x.zip to C:\...\3.17.3_source?

... and no target folder is produced.

Where am I doing wrong? Please help.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #182
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Dear tshering,

While upgrading my Glo to FW 3.17.3, I tried to combine the patches of GeoffR's & the Mod for Bad Eyes.

As per your suggestions in post #144, I first patched the FW with GeoffR's patch, and copied the KoboRoot.tgz (size 21891 kb) produced, at the source folder of mod for bad eyes.

On running the 3.17.3.bat file, It resulted in error, and I got a message at command prompt saying:

I think you do it wrong.

1º patched the FW with GeoffR's patch
2º Extract the file "libnickel.so.1.0.0" of the koboRoot.tgz produced.
3º replace this file with the original file "libnickel.so.1.0.0" in the koboRoot.tgz of firmware (kobo-update-3.17.3.zip).
4º Copy "kobo-update-3.17.3.zip" (with koboroot.tgz with new libnickel.so.1.0.0) at the source folder of mod for bad eyes.
5º Run 3.17.3 bat file.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #183
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much Surquizu, for the guidance. I'll try it over and report back the result.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #184
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Dear tshering,

There are several ways to combine the two patches. I describe below what I think is the easiest way for the current case.
I use patch_kobo_3173 to refer to the base folder of GeoffR's patch, and KBPatcher12_3.17.3 to refer to the bad eyes patch. Depending on how you extracted the archives the folder names might be different on your pc.

Start with the bad eyes patch:
  • copy the original KoboRoot.tgz to KBPatcher12_3.17.3\3.17.3_source
  • double-click 3.17.3_no_packing.bat (This will create the patched files without packing them into a tgz file)
Then do GeoffR's patch (Be aware that this works only with the windows version in this way!):
  • copy the original KoboRoot.tgz to patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source
  • copy the newly created libnickel.so.1.0.0 and nickel from KBPatcher12_3.17.3\3.17.3_target\usr\local\Kobo to patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source
  • create an empty file nickel.patch in patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source (This will tell the patcher to include the nickel file into KoboRoot.tgz)
  • double_click (patch_kobo_3173\)3.17.3.bat
  • copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo of your device
I hope that this works for you!

Edit: If you follow surquizu's advice, you have to apply both KoboRoot.tgz files . First, copy Geoff's KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo and let the device restart (otherwise you are loosing the patched versions of libadobe.so and librmsdk.so.1.0.0), then copy the bad eyes' KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo and let the device restart.

Last edited by tshering; 09-07-2015 at 05:21 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:56 AM   #185
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
There are several ways to combine the two patches. I describe below what I think is the easiest way for the current case.
I use patch_kobo_3173 to refer to the base folder of GeoffR's patch, and KBPatcher12_3.17.3 to refer to the bad eyes patch. Depending on how you extracted the archives the folder names might be different on your pc.

Start with the bad eyes patch:
  • copy the original KoboRoot.tgz to KBPatcher12_3.17.3\3.17.3_source
  • double-click 3.17.3_no_packing.bat (This will create the patched files without packing them into a tgz file)
Then do GeoffR's patch (Be aware that this works only with the windows version in this way!):
  • copy the original KoboRoot.tgz to patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source
  • copy the newly created libnickel.so.1.0.0 and nickel from KBPatcher12_3.17.3\3.17.3_target\usr\local\Kobo to patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source
  • create an empty file nickel.patch in patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source (This will tell the patcher to include the nickel file into KoboRoot.tgz)
  • double_click (patch_kobo_3173\)3.17.3.bat
  • copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo of your device
I hope that this works for you!

Edit: If you follow surquizu's advice, you have to apply both KoboRoot.tgz files . First, copy Geoff's KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo and let the device restart (otherwise you are loosing the patched versions of libadobe.so and librmsdk.so.1.0.0), then copy the bad eyes' KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo and let the device restart.
Dear tshering,

I followed the steps suggested by you, but while executing the last step (double_click (patch_kobo_3173\)3.17.3.bat), I got an error message:

Read 14715252 bytes from input file 'C:\patch_kobo_3173- for custom font adjustment and page refresh\patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source\libnickel.so .1.0.0'
Ignoring disabled patch `Disable reading footer`
find_base_address: unique string at 00C29D70
C:\patch_kobo_3173- for custom font adjustment and page refresh\patch_kobo_3173\tools\pa32lsb.exe: line 59 in 'C:\patch_kobo_3173- for custom font adjustment and page refresh\patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source\libnickel.so .1.0.0.patch': find_base_address string not found.
ERROR processing C:\patch_kobo_3173- for custom font adjustment and page refresh\patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source\libnickel.so .1.0.0.patch
Press any key to continue . . .

No KoboRoot.tgz is produced.
Kindly help.

PS: I made a lot of mess-up while applying surquizu's method. Was feeling too dumb to report.
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #186
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

drjd,

find in libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt the patch that contains the string "position=C29E94" and change in this patch
Code:
enabled=true
to
Code:
enabled=false
If there a further error messages, just post them here. The problem is that, depending on which patches one enables, it can happen that both patch processes (GeoffR's and mine) try to modify the same data (which can not work).
Old 09-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #187
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
drjd,

find in libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt the patch that contains the string "position=C29E94" and change in this patch
Code:
enabled=true
to
Code:
enabled=false
If there a further error messages, just post them here. The problem is that, depending on which patches one enables, it can happen that both patch processes (GeoffR's and mine) try to modify the same data (which can not work).
@ teshering,
Actually I could not find reference to "position=C29E94" in libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt. So instead I tried disabling the patches one by one, and it worked! I flashed the KoboRoot.tgz to the device, and got both patches working. Although there are some effects missing, like I don't find large fonts in library listing, and the bottom margin in pages is quite big, but I can compromise on this issue. After all, I only wanted large fonts in dictionary pop-up, and I got it.
Thank you very much for your valuable time and guidance.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #188
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
@ teshering,
Actually I could not find reference to "position=C29E94" in libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt. So instead I tried disabling the patches one by one, and it worked! I flashed the KoboRoot.tgz to the device, and got both patches working. Although there are some effects missing, like I don't find large fonts in library listing, and the bottom margin in pages is quite big, but I can compromise on this issue. After all, I only wanted large fonts in dictionary pop-up, and I got it.
Thank you very much for your valuable time and guidance.
I guess you did not search in the correct file. If you were able to change the patches one by one, I am sure you modified the wrong file (namely GeoffR's libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch), libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt is simply to large. Therefore, you disabled some patches that you actually want to have enabled, I guess.

Edit: The quotes are not part of the search string!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #189
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
I guess you did not search in the correct file. If you were able to change the patches one by one, I am sure you modified the wrong file (namely GeoffR's libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch), libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt is simply to large. Therefore, you disabled some patches that you actually want to have enabled, I guess.

Edit: The quotes are not part of the search string!
You are right tshering. I modified the wrong file! Now I got it, I had to search libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt in the Bad Eyes patch folder instead of GeoffR's patch folder. Dumb me .
So I started again from the scratch.. disabled the patch containing "position=C29E94" in libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt in the Bad Eyes patch folder, generated the KoboRoot.tgz, then applied the GeoffR's patch. Everything went fine!

Now I can see the desired effects on my device.

Thank you once again for your kind advise..
Old 09-27-2015, 05:11 AM   #190
tshering
Wizard

3.18.0, remove italic from book titles in library

Does what the header says.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher12_3.18.0_titles_not_italic.zip (476.6 KB, 145 views)
Old 09-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #191
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Does what the header says.
Thanks tshering.. I was waiting for your patch release before upgrading to FW 3.18.0.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #192
tshering
Wizard

Conditional branching

Modifications for bad eyes (KBPatcher13_3.18.0) introduces conditional branching. Conditions are fullfilled if certain flags are set or not. I take the following old-style patch (see the spoiler) to illustrate the usage:
Spoiler:
Code:
<patch>
name=Dictionary (Georgia)
note=if you use this definition, disable the other Dictionary definition(s)
enabled=true
action=replace_string
position=B996F4
oldpart=* { font: %1px %2; line-height: %5em; }\n
oldpart=div.descriptionFont { font-family: %3; }\n
oldpart=ol { font-size: %1px; font-weight: bold; margin-left: %4em }\n
oldpart=ol p { font-size: %1px; font-weight:normal; }\n
oldpart=b { font-weight: bold; }\n
oldpart=i { font-style: italic; }\n
oldpart=b * { font-weight: bold; }\n
oldpart=i * { font-style: italic; }\n
oldpart=::selection { background: #FFFFFF !important; }
newpart=* { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 32px; line-height: 36px; } \n
newpart=ol { margin-left: 14px; } \n
newpart=ol p { font-size: 32px; font-weight:normal; }
newpart=b { font-weight: bold; }\n
newpart=i { font-style: italic; }\n
newpart=b * { font-weight: bold; }\n
newpart=i * { font-style: italic;  }\n
newpart=::selection { background: #FFFFFF !important; }
combineparts
</patch>
With the first three "newpart="-lines, this patch sets hard coded values instead of the variables of the original code.
Code:
Since this css block contains no differentiation according to models, I usually chose values proper for the Touch, and the user had to overwrite them with other values according to his needs and taste, and according to his device model. Whereas choosing values according to personal preferences is the reason for this patch, the need to change the patch file for each device model is annoying, especially if on owns several models.

Starting with the patch for 3.18.0, I replace these three lines with
Code:
if $aurahd or $h2o
    newpart=* { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 50px; line-height: 54px; } \n
    newpart=ol { margin-left: 28px; } \n
    newpart=ol p { font-size: 50px; font-weight:normal; }
else if $glo or $aura
    newpart=* { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 40px; line-height: 44px; } \n
    newpart=ol { margin-left: 24px; } \n
    newpart=ol p { font-size: 40px; font-weight:normal; }
else if $glohd
    newpart=* { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 56px; line-height: 60px; } \n
    newpart=ol { margin-left: 30px; } \n
    newpart=ol p { font-size: 56px; font-weight:normal; }
else
end
If one calls the patcher with the flag aurahd set, font-size will be set to 50px, if called with the flag glo set, font-size will be set to 40px, and so on.

Another example: In a certain patch, I get a problem since the compressed patched css code is larger then the compressed original code. I therefore skip certain parts depending on the target device (specified by a flag):

Code:
oldpart=div.spacing2.phoenix {\n\tmargin-top: 40px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=div.spacing2.dragon,\ndiv.spacing2.alyssum {\n\tmargin-top: 50px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=div.spacing2.trilogy {\n\tmargin-top: 20px;\n}\n\n
if $glo or $aura
    newpart=div.spacing2.phoenix {\n\tmargin-top: 40px;\n}\n
else if $h20 or $aurahd or $glohd
    newpart=div.spacing2.dragon,\ndiv.spacing2.alyssum {\n\tmargin-top: 50px;\n}\n
else
    newpart=div.spacing2.trilogy {\n\tmargin-top: 20px;\n}\n
end
The patch executable does not know any predefined flags. It interprets any word preceded by "$" in a "if" or "else" context as being a flag. Therefore, you can do something like
Code:
if ($aurahd or $h2o) and $forMe
else if ($aurahd or $h2o) and $forMyWife
    newpart=* { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 22px; line-height: 24px; } \n
You cannot use nested constructions. The following code fragment is NOT valid:
Code:
if $aurahd
    if $forMe
    else if $forMyWife
        newpart=* { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 22px; line-height: 24px; } \n
    else
        newpart=* { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 24px; line-height: 26px; } \n
    end
end
Concerning flags, there is no distinction between uppercase and lowercase letters.

As for how to set the flags when starting the patching process, see, for instance, 3.18.0_glo_aura.bat of KBPatcher13_3.18.0, which I will upload to the next post.

As for converting patch files to GeoffR-style, you would open a cmd window and execute the following two lines (for instance):
Code:
cd C:\data\KBPatcher13_3.18.0
3.18.0_convert.bat flags=glo
(Note that not everything can be converted to GeoffR-style.)
Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #193
tshering
Wizard

Modification for Bad Eyes FW 3.18.0

See the post above for flags and conditional branching.

Different to previous packages, this package contains batch files specific to device models. For instance, if you want to patch for Aura HD, double click 3.18.0_aurahd_h2o.bat, and find the created KoboRoot.tgz in 3.18.0_target_aurahd_h2o.

As for the values of the inline dictionary view, I tried to find nice values for Touch and Glo (they should also be acceptable for Aura). As for the other models you would have to find yourself proper values. If you can, please post them here. The concerned patches are those with position=B996F4 and position=B99E84 in libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt, and position=4B607C in nickel.txt. For reference, I uploaded screen shots of the dictionary showing the entry for "know". Pay attention that the whole text is visible (not cut on the right border or at the bottom), and that all numbers in the numbered lists are displayed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	400
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	142368   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	369
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	142369   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	369
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	142370   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	376
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	142371   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_005.png
Views:	361
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	142372   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_006.png
Views:	374
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	142373  
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher13_3.18.0.zip (492.3 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by tshering; 09-27-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #194
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Thanks!

my settings in h2o:

Code:
if $aurahd or $h2o
    newpart=* { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 40px; line-height: 42px; } \n
    newpart=ol { margin-left: 28px; } \n
    newpart=ol p { font-size: 40px; font-weight:normal; }
I can not increase the text box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_007.png
Views:	244
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	142412   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_008.png
Views:	257
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	142413   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_009.png
Views:	237
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	142414  
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #195
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
I can not increase the text box.
I guess you want to increase the width of the widget and the text. Did you try different values in those two patches?

In nickel.txt (for the dimensions of the widget)
Code:
<patch>
name=?
enabled=true
action=replace_string
position=4B607C
oldpart=#InlineDictionaryView {\n\tmin-width: 500px;\n\tmax-width: 500px;\n\tmin-height: 220px;\n\tmax-height: 220px;\n}\n
oldpart=#InlineDictionaryView[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {\n\tmin-width: 650px;\n\tmax-width: 650px;\n\tmin-height: 280px;\n\tmax-height: 280px;\n}\n
oldpart=#InlineDictionaryView[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {\n\tmin-width: 980px;\n\tmax-width: 980px;\n\tmin-height: 350px;\n\tmax-height: 350px;\n}\n
newpart=#InlineDictionaryView {\n\tmin-width: 560px;\n\tmax-width: 560px;\n\tmin-height: 330px;\n\tmax-height: 330px;\n}\n
newpart=#InlineDictionaryView[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {\n\tmin-width: 720px;\n\tmax-width: 720px;\n\tmin-height: 450px;\n\tmax-height: 450px;\n}\n
newpart=#InlineDictionaryView[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {\n\tmin-width: 980px;\n\tmax-width: 980px;\n\tmin-height: 580px;\n\tmax-height: 580px;\n}\n
combineparts
</patch>

In libnickel.so.1.0.0.txt (for the dimensions of the text field)
Code:
<patch>
name=?
enabled=true
action=replace_string
position=B99E84
oldpart=#textEdit {\n\tmin-height: 150px;\n\tmax-height: 150px;\n\tmin-width: 515px;\n\tmax-width: 515px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=#textEdit[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {\n\tmin-height: 190px;\n\tmax-height: 190px;\n\tmin-width: 550px;\n\tmax-width: 550px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=#textEdit[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {\n\tmin-height: 235px;\n\tmax-height: 235px;\n\tmin-width: 930px;\n\tmax-width: 930px;\n}
newpart=#textEdit {\n\tmin-height: 290px;\n\tmax-height: 290px;\n\tmin-width: 575px;\n\tmax-width: 575px;\n}\n\n
newpart=#textEdit[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix="true"] {\n\tmin-height: 371px;\n\tmax-height: 371px;\n\tmin-width: 680px;\n\tmax-width: 680px;\n}\n\n
newpart=#textEdit[qApp_deviceIsDragon="true"] {\n\tmin-height: 533px;\n\tmax-height:533px;\n\tmin-width: 930px;\n\tmax-width: 930px;\n}
combineparts
</patch>