Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #91
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

Or use it on the phone so you get notifications when something relevant happens.
Phone?? No need. Just whisper into the air, and the NSA will forward the message.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #92
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
I stopped using FaRcebook a couple of months ago, and quit Twitter too. Glad I did, what a waste of time. Worse, even the intelligent people I know all presented a Stepford version of their lives, never any negativity or critical thinking about anything. I was literally the only person posting negativity or thoughtful material of any kind. Couldn't stand it.

Last edited by rayhigh; 07-17-2013 at 07:42 PM.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #93
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Huh?

So let me get this straight: "users" are those who make daily--almost habitual--use of it ... non-users are those people who either don't have accounts, or who only use their accounts in a casual--sometimes infrequent--manner? I did not know that. That's a pretty handy (re)definition.
You are finally getting the idea of "addiction!"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #94
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Dreadful experience from what you've recounted.

So the Police actually asked you for your Facebook account details? Does that assume that they would have required a warrant to view your internet activities if you hadn't given 'permission'?

And I'm guessing that anyone who doesn't give that 'permission' is viewed as quite the crim who's got something to hide, eh!!
Well the allegation made against me was serious enough that they actually raided my house with a warrant can't really go into any details but it stemmed from a joke someone else had made over a year beforehand and I presume someone else overheard and seriously overreacted to it or just has a serious grudge against me, but yeah they did want my facebook details and I've never used facebook so of course couldn't comply.

I just presume the warrant they did have covered everything to be honest I was in too much shock at the time to really question it but it certainly seems like something they do as standard now.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #95
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
it stemmed from a joke someone else had made over a year beforehand and I presume someone else overheard and seriously overreacted to it or just has a serious grudge against me.
I was involved in something similar a few years back.
I made an offhand comment to friend.
Months later, something bad happened that was coincidentally mentioned in my comment.
The friend said in front of people at work "Wow, this really happened, and just a few months ago my friend said...."
Someone at his work called the police, and my friend was picked up for questioning about me. At the time he said it was the most frightened he'd ever been.
Funny story now.
Nothing to do with Facebook, though. As you were.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #96
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
I stopped using FaRcebook a couple of months ago, and quit Twitter too. Glad I did, what a waste of time. Worse, even the intelligent people I know all presented a Stepford version of their lives, never any negativity or critical thinking about anything. I was literally the only person posting negativity or thoughtful material of any kind. Couldn't stand it.
I hear ya. I periodically post about current affairs, or links to articles, which I always hope will generate some discussion, but it seems thats not why people go to FB. I'll still keep doing it, but am fairly convinced I have a bunch of friends who don't like to think. At all.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #97
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'll still keep doing it, but am fairly convinced I have a bunch of friends who don't like to think. At all.
I once had an All-Apple person say to me:

"Why should I have to think? Apple does that for me."

And he was bloody serious.

There *are* people that detest thinking. One of my (now ex-) colleagues basically goes into "plant mode" or something as soon as can be. At work, he's a normally intelligent guy, but off work, it's impossible to talk to him about anything. It just feels as if he turns his brain off after office hours. He has no hobbies, no interests, and nothing to do (or better, doesn't want to do anything) beside work and house chores.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-18-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #98
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
The scary thing is: such people are allowed to vote too...
(and raise kids...)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #99
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I hear ya. I periodically post about current affairs, or links to articles, which I always hope will generate some discussion, but it seems thats not why people go to FB. I'll still keep doing it, but am fairly convinced I have a bunch of friends who don't like to think. At all.
Those are the kinds of things I would probably normally comment on, but because it's also an 'author' type of page, I can't. There is no glory in being political or thoughtful when you're an author because you will alienate someone. Even the most innocent of comments can alienate people. I think a lot of family members are the same way. They already know they don't agree with so-and-so on X,Y and z so they simply refuse to be drawn into discussions on anything that isn't "funny" or "banal" or trivial.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #100
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I just don't see Facebook or any social media as being a platform for serious thinking or discussion. It's just too easy on platforms like that for serious discussions to disintegrate into something not so pleasant - except unless you just have a very small circle of friends and family.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #101
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
"Disintegrate into something unpleasant?"

Boy, have I seen stuff like that.

Person A says something on the FB-page of Person B. It looks like an insult toward B, but it actually is an inside joke between A and B and nothing more than friendly teasing.
Person C, who knows B, but doesn't know A, reads this and is not happy with this "insult". He doesn't know about that inside joke.
Person C starts to harrass Person A. At that point, Person A doesn't know why he is being harrassed on FB, by someone he doesn't know.
Person D, being A's big brother gets to know about the harrassment of his little brother. However, he does not personally know person B ór C, so he finds a picture of Person C, and discovers he (D) and Person C are actually in the same university.

Next day, Person D shows up on school, and C gets smashed in the mouth... by someone he doesn't know, and can't *fathom* why he would have a quarrel with him.

I've seen it happen. Nice... "social" networking

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-18-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #102
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Just as well Freeshadow hasn't posted any pics
There are no pics of me on the net

And Katsunami just shows why it is a good rule to follow.

Last edited by Freeshadow; 07-18-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added 2nd sentence.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #103
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I just don't see Facebook or any social media as being a platform for serious thinking or discussion. It's just too easy on platforms like that for serious discussions to disintegrate into something not so pleasant - except unless you just have a very small circle of friends and family.
I do not see any difference between a forum. And the discussions become better if you have a lot of Facebook friends since there are more people that can discuss and you also treat a bigger group different from your closest friends.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #104
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not see any difference between a forum.
I think you mean a duck.

Quote:
And the discussions become better if you have a lot of Facebook friends since there are more people that can discuss and you also treat a bigger group different from your closest friends.
On FB you have (in large part) a mass of people who just want to virtually hang out without aim and talk to other people, and broadcast stuff about themselves.

On a forum, you have a group who share a specific interest and are there primarily to discuss that shared interest.

The difference between FB and a forum is the difference between meeting people on a street corner vs meeting them at a special interest group meeting.

Either can be a significant interaction, I think the latter has a better chance of being so.

Some people want to spend a lot of their time talking to people on street corners. I don't.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #105
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I think you mean a duck.

On FB you have (in large part) a mass of people who just want to virtually hang out without aim and talk to other people, and broadcast stuff about themselves.

On a forum, you have a group who share a specific interest and are there primarily to discuss that shared interest.
You have both at forums also. Just look at the Lounge here. Some people are here just primarily to hang out but sometimes they join the discussion.

I agree that a forum ha a greater chance to have good discussions but they occur also at Facebook. It all depends on you facebook friends and if somebody put up discussion starters like links to newspaper articles.

There are also specific facebook groups that only contains discussions.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote